Troy-Bilt Chainsaws, believe it or not

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lobo

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
The original Troy-Bilt company out of Troy N-Y years ago used to build great equipment and had acquired an enviable reputation for certain lines, in 1999 or 2000 or 2001 they went belly up and the rights to the name was purchased by MTD. MTD are well known for building minimal quality or worst quality equipment and several badges or formerly reputable brand names, they now have Troy-Bilt chainsaws, are they making these themselves? Did they buy Homelite or some other poor company such as the current Mukaluc ? Are they getting these made for them with the Troy-Bilt name ? If that is the case who is manufacturing these for them ?

Does anyone know the story behind this ?

http://www.troybilt.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/category2_10001_14102_17685_17680_17680_-1

ontario026 said:
LOBO, I have seen the troy-built saws for sale at my local canadian tire... Seems the troy-built have taken over for the poulan line they had before....

I thought E-Lux owned Poulan! :dizzy:

You are right, they are in the new 2005 Canadian Tire catalog.

Just what the world needs another throw away saw :cry:

Mange said:
Elux ownes all of them!!

Hi Mange,

It would be news to me that E-lux now owns MTD or are you saying E-lux/Poulan are rebadging to the Troy-Bilt name & colors.

Hmmm good reason for me to justify stocking up on saws now ;)...before the quality of saws go down. LOL

If it is not German, then Elux is part of it or owns it with very few exeptions.
I think this is a Elux stunt, yes.

i wouldent go spend that kind of money on that the only reason i got myne is it was at good will for $5 and when it dies i will part it out and melt down the cylinder and make a little ingot out of it.

Well I'll be darned, I didn't know E-lux owned Mukaluk :jester:

Geez, why sell products like Jonsered and husky and then sell junk like Poulan and Mukaluk :cry:

Lobo said:
Geez, why sell products like Jonsered and husky and then sell junk like Poulan and Mukaluk :cry:

Cuz there are cheap a$$ folks out there that determine every purchase by how little it costs as opposed to how well it works.

dont know if this adds but........

man before i bought mt first stihl, i thought anyone who would cut wood was crazy. i have been a mechanic for 15 years or better, i cant stand things that just dont work.
i had 1 pull-on 295 pro. still have it but have run over it with my truck several times, yes i did enjoy.
i have been in construction and fab work and i do know, buy it once buy it right.
amazing my little 011 would cut my 295 in half.
like lawn mowers, ayp make 90 percent of all mowers available today, change the color and the badges, it can be a , murray, mtd, huskee, a lower john deere, this could go on for hours.
this site has shown me to go with what you know and stick with it, i like stihl, whether va beach or wherever, sorry if this offends but if you like something else run with it.
i just like things that do the job they were designed to do and do it very well

I think the only good saws in ten years will be Stihls and Dolmars. I think E lux will cut down on quality to lower prices, because it is cool to own a pro saw. Every newbie that asks about a new saw on here gets the respone 026,361,046 or husky equivelant homeowner saws are made for homeowners who dont saw everday. The pro line has to be broken down so more people can afford them because a 390 just wont cut it.

Stihl has hobby saws too, remember!

I do not think a cabin owner that cuts a tree every 15 years will go by a new pro saw, the gardeners will not either. Too much money for the work it is seposed to do.
I think E-lux will continue to make pro saws, and junk saws, but they will try and hide the fact they are building them. I had a McCulloch 535 Evolution (bought 2000), a 20 hrs saw that ran strong in my hands for atleast 120 hrs, then I sold it.
A naibur bought the same ran it for 20 hrs, max. then it was finiched. We treated these tsaws different. I hopoed It would last me the first 15 hrs, then I actually done what I bought it for, still going I might ad.

I will see if i can find the list of company's tht is in E-lux. You will be stumped!

E-Lux has their hands in everything:

AEG
Arthur Martin
Diamant Boart
Dito Electrolux
Electrolux
Electrolux Laundry Systems
Eureka
Flymo
Frigidaire
Husqvarna
Jonsered
Kelvinator
McCulloch
Molteni
Partner
Poulan
REX
Weed Eater
Zanussi

Mange said:
Stihl has hobby saws too, remember!

Hi Mange,

Yes I agree with you, but I would think that Stihl, Husky, Jonsered hobby saws are better quality, would perform better and last longer than as saw such as a Poulan ''Wild Thing'' :dizzy:

Troy Built Saws

LOBO-- have a Troy TB4920. Came to me from a guy who got it for Christmas, ran one tank of gas through it & put chain oil in the fuel tank & gas in the oiler tank. Was mad at it because it would not run!--Sold it to me for $50.00. I did not know what was wrong with it until I started to look, flushed it out--started right up!--Saw is a pretty good runner--lots of power, light--a lot of plastic but very thick & fairly well built. I would say as good as Husquvarna 270 series saw. I gave it to one of my Arborist friends who is VERY HARD on equipment---good test for it. Last time I heard it was running strong---uses it almost every day...BILL

Back