troybilt ls27 honda engine trouble

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

willt1981

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
alright guys - i need a little input here. in an earlier thread i asked about a carb on a honda gcv 160 engine. after the engine ran out of gas it wouldnt start. then when it finally did it would only run with the choke out. i took off the carb and cleaned the jet from the bowl. put it on and it ran but the gaskets were so old that they didnt go on so great and leaked air. the governor arm was always moving - i assume it was attempting to compensate for the eractic airflow. i got new gaskets and now when the engine gets to operating temp the engine will "grunt" erratically much like it does when you start splitting a tough piece of wood. it never shuts down but something is definately up.

i suspect the carb simply because it was the orginal issue. i should also mention that the shaft when contains the jet from the bowl is corroded on the bottom and i suspect that this rust is what junked up the jet to begin with. and a new carb only costs $22 so i'm tempted just to buy a new one and see what happens. but before i do i want to know if you guys think it could be something else. the engine does this when splitting but also does it when just idling so im thinking its something with the engine and not any other part of the splitter. lets get her fixed!

alright guys - i need a little input here. in an earlier thread i asked about a carb on a honda gcv 160 engine. after the engine ran out of gas it wouldnt start. then when it finally did it would only run with the choke out. i took off the carb and cleaned the jet from the bowl. put it on and it ran but the gaskets were so old that they didnt go on so great and leaked air. the governor arm was always moving - i assume it was attempting to compensate for the eractic airflow. i got new gaskets and now when the engine gets to operating temp the engine will "grunt" erratically much like it does when you start splitting a tough piece of wood. it never shuts down but something is definately up.

i suspect the carb simply because it was the orginal issue. i should also mention that the shaft when contains the jet from the bowl is corroded on the bottom and i suspect that this rust is what junked up the jet to begin with. and a new carb only costs $22 so i'm tempted just to buy a new one and see what happens. but before i do i want to know if you guys think it could be something else. the engine does this when splitting but also does it when just idling so im thinking its something with the engine and not any other part of the splitter. lets get her fixed!

mine does that grunt thing for the frist 3-5 min's until it is fully warm up dont know if that helps

Sounds like it's sucking air in around the shaft of the throtle shaft. If it keeps wearing it will start to suck in dirt and dust then instead of a carb you get to rebuild the engine.
Hmmm, $22 sounds pretty cheap now doesn't it?

Latest posts

Back