truck advice tandem axle

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lovetheoutdoors

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Ok fellas i have a chance to get a C60 chevrolet tandem axle dump truck.....it has a 427 big block, splicer tranny,eaton rear end,raaco suspension,air brakes......it is a 16 ton truck in fair to good shape. The guy that has it has made me a good trade on some things i have but i want to know if these ole trucks are any good.....i have never owned a dump truck and am working on getting my cdl license. I would be using the truck for odd jobs like tree removal, hauling gravel and stuff like that.....all you guys let me know what you think and if the truck is worth getting any info on this will help me alot......thanks

For crashing around in the boonies I have good luck with my 1969 single axle C60 with a 402 big block upgrade from the 366 and hydraulic brakes. Tandem would have 4 more tires to worry about, another axle, extra Ujoints. Chevy would be about the best choice because of parts availability and interchangeablity. One thing to watch for is what it would cost to put tags on it. Lets say my truck weighs 13,000 empty, this tandem weighs lets say 16,000 empty and your licensing tier stops at 20,000 I can haul 7,000 you can only haul only 4,000 unless you move up to what may be a much higher rate at the next level.

thanks for the reply marco.....so i can go with 20,000 pounds on normal license? i did check on a 50,000 weighted tag for it and and in nc it was 787.00 (wow):jawdrop: .....do you know what this truck would weigh just guessing? thanks

You couldn't go 20,000 on a normal license here in WI. I just used it as an example because that is what I have mine plated at. I really don't have a good idea what your truck would weigh but I know mine weighs between 13000 and 14000. I was just trying to point out that if you don't have a real need for such beast you are going to be paying alot of freight just to haul uneeded iron around before you can actually haul anything.

Its the same here in MI, you pay higher plate fees to sticker it at a higher GVW. Here if you are running anything for business use under 26,000 pounds you need to have a chauffer liscense. Anything over 26,000 you need a class B cdl.

The closet I got to this is a 1991 Ford LN8000 33,000 GVW air brakes single axle. I use it for log loading. Make sure on those old trucks you check out the brakes, tranny, ect. In some cases the repair costs are not worth it.

Considering it is a twin screw, air brakes I bet that truck has a GVWR of at least 36,000. That poor 427 has had one hard life with only a 5x2 trans to help it out. I maintain a 92 Top Kick for a friend, almost identical but a single screw and it is rather gutless and high reving. We both wish it had a diesel and more gears. The 16' dump box is a nice size. Is the steer axle still a "wedge" style brake? They are rather obsolete. Find out what type rims it has? You do not want true split rims, they are not legal anymore, and back in 75 they were still plenty floating around. I am not talking about "split lock ring" rims. Also check what size tires it has, some of them are no longer made too, thus require a different size rim to get new tires. I personally would look for a single screw for just running around doing occasional loads.
IIRC a 50,000 plates here in IL are around $1500.

c60

i have a 87 c60 with a little small block, single dual split rear 4 spd. i haul hardwood with it, once overloaded at 18,940 of wood, put it to 27,960. drove it for 15 miles that way 1st gear low up hills and 4th low normal at 40 mph/ wouldnt go any faster and dont need to. works great for me becuase thats about 8 heaped up to the cab truck loads. but the point is that i can haul around 15,000 or so of whatever. no worries my friends, its getting a tall deck 427 out of another truck.

427 Chev

One thing to consider, is that that truck will burn gas like it is free, I worked for a contractor that had these trucks when new. We would burn twice the gallons a day that a same size diesel did. I always thought that the 427 gas was too light duty for the work a tandem is asked to do./379 Pete

379 pete

you are right, it burns gas like you dont believe, but you have to consider how much gas a 350 in a 1500 series chevy will burn hauling 8 loads seriously heaped and overloaded- so it would be more like 10 or so loads to be safe. but the point is, how much would i burn with that little truck to haul wood 12 miles? i think one way? compare to one round trip for all the loads. i wish i did have a diesel, but not all people have the money to. this 87 c 60 came from a auction for $2,500 i think. there is really nothing wrong with it but the small engine. so it works for me- but for every day use- it wouldnt. it would be crazy-a 50 gallon take right- a quarter take round trip with a full load alone. that about 12 gallons i think. but for construction- i wouldnt argue about a diesel ey?

379 pete said:
One thing to consider, is that that truck will burn gas like it is free, I worked for a contractor that had these trucks when new. We would burn twice the gallons a day that a same size diesel did. I always thought that the 427 gas was too light duty for the work a tandem is asked to do./379 Pete

I would say the 427 would be terrible on gas.maybe 4 mpg.

Latest posts

Back