Trust your opinions on saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

458_lott

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
While I am not new to cutting wood and chainsaws (about 35 years), I am new to this site and I appreciate reading the comments. I currently just cut for myself and some commercial work (removal of trees) should the job appear as though I can do it without too much fuss. My saws are as follows; a new Echo CS-670, an Echo CS-300, a Homelite Super Wiz 66 with a bow, a Poulan 3700 with a bow, a Homelite XL-12, a Homelite Super Mini VI, a Homelite XL-123, and a Homelite Super XL-925 (currently a project saw). My question is about Stihl. I have never owned one. I have certainly been around them for a very long time and have run them. It seems as though I should step into one. I spoke to our reputable Stihl dealership here in central PA and asked for a price on an MS-361, an MS-440, and an MS-460. With my current compliment of saws, I am not sure what to buy. I certainly do not need another saw. It is that I WANT ANOTHER SAW. I am very happy with the Echos. I am not particularly kind to my saws. I used to cut commercially and just had a truckload of powerheads and when one went down, I would just grab another out of the box and set to work. I would do the maintainance in the winter months and get all running properly again. (I always used commercial Homelites; Super XL-925s for felling, XL-12s for limbing, and gear driven Super Wiz 66s for bucking up). My question is about the MS-440. I realize it is a very popular saw. Guess I remember them as a 044. Should I settle on the MS-440 or spend the extra $80.00 and get the MS-460? Either would wear a 24" bar maximum and probably be responsible for felling and limbing. I use a bow saw exclusively for bucking up as it saves my back and I never have to worry about a pinched bar. Also, should I just forget about the MS-361? I also see that people on this thread are very impressed with the Dolmar 7900. Unfortunately, I believe our Sachs-Dolmar dealer is no longer selling saws.

Anyway, I appreciate all of your input and would greatly like to hear the virtues of the Stihls in question from users, not salesmen.

Michael

Looks like a popular thought - I posted a very similar Q. "440 vs 460 for serious but not-quite-pro-use..."

Looks like 460 for me so far.

Good luck!

Michael,

Welcome aboard! A guy who shoots a .458 Lott, would like a Stihl MS 460 Magnum! Very powerful saw!:)

Ted

I guess I do have a penchant for large caliber rifles. I shoot a .458 Lott, a .416 Rigby, many .375s and am in the process of getting a .505 Gibbs. As far as the chainsaw deal, I just feel as though everyone here raves so much about Stihl, I ought to get in on the rave. They have always enjoyed a great reputation with the West Coast loggers and the forest service people and the hotshots. Madsen's seem to give a thumbs-up to them also (along with Husky) so I just kind of want one. Don't need, just want. Thanks for the welcome.

Definately don't overlook the 361. It's great saw and VERY easy on the back and hands.

Just borrow, demo or buy one. You can take it back for a full refund in 7 days if you don't like it.

I've run all 3 saws you're asking about, and own a 460. I'm a sawyer on a Forest Service hand crew, and we run 044's and 440's exclusively on fires. For thinning work, we have 044's, 360's, and 361's. I prefer to, and do, run an 044. I like the 360's a lot, because you can bolt on a 044 full wrap and full size clutch cover. The 361's I think are great saws, good power to weight, but you have to buy an aftermarket full wrap for them. Like I said though, I run an 044 with a 32" bar day in and day out. From cutting fireline to dropping burning snags, the 044 does it all, and I would have nothing else for the variance of work that I have to do with it. For my personal saws though, I have a 460 and a 660. I love the 460, it is only noticeably heavier than a 44 if you directly compare them. The power difference is most notable to me in big cuts. The newer 440's seem a little shady to me, we've had a few carb problems with the ones we bought the last 2 years. I've heard the 460's are good to go, however. If you're running a 24" bar, an 8-tooth sprocket on a 460 would straight rip, and not bog.

tek9tim,

Thank you so much for your reply. This is the feedback I was searching for. I believe that any of the three would be o.k., but I often have a hard time justifying the money I spend and wanted to make the correct choice. I was leaning towards the 460 with full-wrap handle, but wasn't sure it was worth the extra expense. I don't need it, but really wish to have one. By the way, I want to get my training in for a volunteer wildland firefighter here in PA. I can retire this year (turned 55) and have always been interested in wildland firefighting. Obviously, I would like to be a sawyer, but would do anything I was called to do just to help out. I have had in excess of 30 years running chainsaws from commercial pulp cutting to saw timber, but no experience fighting fires. I guess I can learn.

Anyway, thanks for the info on the Stihls. You run one daily and that is good enough for me. I thought the Forest Service used 440s but I wasn't sure. I think my dealer offered me a 460 for $790 and will give me 5% off because it is a commercial saw. Of course that is not with the wrap handle. I don't know if this is a good price or not. Any advice would be welcome.

Michael (458_lott)

458_lott said:
tek9tim,

I think my dealer offered me a 460 for $790 and will give me 5% off because it is a commercial saw. Of course that is not with the wrap handle. I don't know if this is a good price or not. Any advice would be welcome.

Michael (458_lott)

460 mag list is $790 w/ a 20" B&C as of Nov 1.

One day I'll get an 046 or 460 - what for I don't know...but that don't matter w/ saws and gats...

Chaser

You're talkin' my language. I just feel I need one. All this talk about Stihls has got me "worked-up". I love my old Homelites cause they seemed like an extension of me. I keep them around because it is the thing to do. I recently purchased an Echo CS-670 that cuts really well. After abusing a CS-300 for a few years around the house, I didn't feel I could go wrong with the CS-670. It has the same bar pattern as my Poulan 3700 that I beat the heck out of so I figured I could just switch around bars. Currently the Poulan wears a bow and I surely use the crap out of it cutting firewood, but the Echo is very smooth. But, I guess it just isn't a Stihl. I don't know what it is like to run a vertical engine Stihl. I only ever ran the horizontal and semi-vertical Stihls. They were good saws and I think I have settled on the MS-460 but I really don't know why 'cause I never ran one. I'm just trusting you guys, because the Stihl dealers around here all give you the typical sales talk that comes from the showroom. I want feedback from the field and forest.

I can get them for between 720 and 750 here, depending on how many I buy at a whack/in a year.

Get the 440 and open the muffler a bit. This will give you noticeable power gains and run an 8 pin sprocket if your amx bar is a 24". OR you can call Dean at Washington Hotsaws (a sponsor on this site) and have him do a stage 2 modification for you and it will cut the same as a MS 660! You can find his forum under 'Other Sponsors'

BostonBull,

Thank you. I have heard of Washington Hot Saws. The whole concept of modifying chainsaws intrigues me. I talked to my Echo dealer about opening-up the 670 a bit and he looked at me as though I was from Mars. He was a former Stihl mechanic who opened his own business and got the Echo franchise. He services my mother's tractor, mowers, etc. so I thought I would give him some business and bought the 670. I told him I might grab a CS-8000 powerhead while I was at it, but now I thinking hard about the Stihl. Hard enough that I got a price. Now I just have to make a decision.

The Stihls that I owned have been great. My 028AV served me well for 20 years and still worked great when I sold it. My 044 is a saw that is near and dear to my heart. It has what it takes to get the job done and is still not too heavy to wear me out in the process.

I am currently shoping for another saw as well and keep coming back to the MS361 to compliment my 044. Thought about lighter less powerful saws but the price difference is not that much, yet the build quality and added power, keeps me coming right back to the 361.

I think Santa will be good to me this year!

Last edited:
stump doctor,

Santa doesn't support me in this endeavor. I am on my own. Mrs. cannot fully grasp the concept of multiple saws. I kind of feel that way about furniture, but it seems to be a stalemate. Having said that, I will add a saw to the tribe and it will quite possibly be a Stihl MS-361, MS-440 or an MS-460. I will make the purchase after Christmas. Heck, maybe I'll be Santa to myself. That's a novel idea. Bet I'll get what I wished for. I need to talk to the dealer again and see what the final price for each would be with b&c and, of course, PA sales tax.

It's too bad you can't order from madsens. When I was shopping for my 660, I called around to a lot of shops in my area, and the prices ranged from $980 to $830, with madsens being the cheapest. They won't sell out-of-area though. I haven't looked lately, but mid sevens (which is what you'd get with the 5% off deal) for a 460 with full-wrap, bar and chain would be a pretty good deal. Especially if you wrangle a dual port front plate out of him. (those should go for less than $30, if he claims it's any more, call BS.) Be sure to shop around, some shops just don't sell the volume to offer a decent price.

tek9tim,

I didn't know Madsen's wouldn't sell to me here on the East Coast. I am frequently on their site and their prices on Huskies are good. Of course they don't list their Stihl prices. The dealer I deal with sells volumes but I don't know how many commercial saws he sells. He has been in business for decades. I dealt with him in the '60s when he was a Homelite dealer. I trust them to not "hose" me with jacked-up accessory prices. If I can get the 460 with 24" b&c for about $750 I will strongly consider that. My Echo dealer will give me a CS-8000 for about that also. The Echo is heavier but they are usually bullet proof. I have had good luck with their climbing saws and the CS-670 is really rather nice. I just seem to want a Stihl next.

When I refered to Santa I was refering to myself. Although I do have Mrs. Claus's full support as I sold the 028AV. We have much clearing and forest managment left to do on our property. In fact last year Santa also brought me a new saw. It was a sliding miter saw which I used to build Mrs. Claus a beautiful Trex deck.

If you do want to buy from Madsens, you could always have Dean pick it up and do a stage one mod for you. The money you would save would pretty much pay for the mod. I don't know if you would qualify for a warranty unless you could manage to pick it up in person.

Here is his website: http://www.washingtonhotsaws.com/

tek9tim,

I wasn't aware that Madsen's wouldn't sell me a chainsaw. I am on their site frequently and see that they have good prices on Huskies. Of course they don't post their Stihl prices but imagine those prices are very competitive also. If I can get an MS-460 with 24" b&c for $750.00, I will think strongly about doing that. My Echo dealer has offered me a CS-8000 for about that same price. While probably not a smooth as a Stihl and definitely more heavy, the Echos seem to be bullet proof. I have had good luck with their climbing saws and the CS-670 cuts very well. It is easy to start and has plenty of grunt. Cuts much like my Homelite Super XL-925s used to cut. They were a 5.0 cubic inch saw that cut like a bear.

I'll take your advice seriously as you run these saws for a living. I take this testimony over the store showroom salesman any day. I thank you.

stump doctor,

Thanks for the option. I am getting a wealth of new information here. I am excited and anxious and all those neurotic words. I am "charged-up", "stoked", "worked-up", "hot-and-bothered", and all those oft-used expletives. Saws have been a passion of mine for as long as I can remember. I stumbled upon the correct site because you guys talk the talk and walk the walk. For that I am grateful. Don't have too many saw nuts in my field of work (I run a Mental Health out-patient clinic and am an adjunct professor of psychology at a local college). While I don't profess to know much about anything, I have certainly run saws for just about four decades and enjoy the conversations here at this site. I appreciate all of your experiences. I will learn.

the Echos seem to be bullet proof

Don't know about their Chainsaws but I can vouch for their PB 210 hand held blower. It has seen more use than both my saws combined. Am thinking about geting another one just like it in the next few months as the only problem I have is it seems to be dumping gas into the airbox and you smell like gas everytime you use it. Owned this unit for 20 years and still starts and runs great.

Latest posts

Back