Trust your opinions on saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

458_lott

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I would like the opportunity to have some feedback on a potential saw purchase. I am new to this site, but not new to chainsaws and commercial cutting. I have been cutting for about 35 years. Currently, I am just cutting wood for my consumption and do some tree removal for profit should it not be too difficult. I run a relatively new Echo CS-670, an Echo CS-300, a Homelite Super Wiz 66 with a bow, a Poulan 3700 with a bow, a Homelite XL-12, a Homelite Super Mini VI, a Homelite XL-123 and a Homelite Super XL-925 (currently a project saw). When I used to cut commercially, I used Homelites exclusively (Super XL-925s for felling, XL-12s for limbing, and Super Wiz 66 gear drives for bucking-up). My question has to do with Stihl. While I have never owned a Stihl, I have been around them in the woods for many years. I have also run them. I would like to add another saw to the stable. Certainly not needed. Only wanted! I spoke to our Stihl dealer who used to sell me Homelites many moons ago and asked for a price on the MS-361, the MS-440 and the MS-460. The saw I am most familiar with is the MS-440 as I used to know it as the 044 I think. Anyway, should I go with the MS-440 or spend the extra $80.00 and get the MS-460. Either would wear a 24" bar maximum and be responsible for felling and limbing. I use a bow bar to buck everything up. It saves my back and I never need to worry about bar pinch. I think I may have eliminated the MS-361 myself unless you guys think that should be a consideration. I don't mind the weight of the saw. I just want it to be ergodynamically designed so that it is handy when felling and limbing. Also, should I invest in wrap-around handlebars? They were always nice on the Homelites as long as I didn't need to cut the trunk flush to the ground. Again, I appreciate any and all feedback as I know you guys use Stihl and know their saws inside and out. I understand that Dolmar is making a giant comeback with their commercial grade saws. The Sachs-Dolmar name was always a steady name in the PA woods, but I think our local dealer no longer sells them.

Thank you for your input,
Michael

Michael, welcome aboard! It's always good to hear from someone who keeps the old workhorses working. With your experience and your collection of saws, I'd say trust your gut feeling. If the 460 speaks to you, buy it.

Latest posts

Back