trying to contact member aandabooks

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

treesrgreat

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Anyone know aandabooks? I would like to talk to him on his wood furnace system. I am considering a add-on wood furnace and from his posts he installed what I am considering. I sent him a personal message and haven't heard from him. He may not access this site very often either. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you!

I emailed you a couple of days ago at the address you sent. I don't have a copy of the email but I'll put something together again and post it.

Matt

Treesrgreat,

I've got mine connected to the plenum of the furnace with 2 8" pipes and they both have a damper at the bottom near the Daka. This is so that the air conditioning doesn't back up into the woodburner in the summer. The exhaust is on a 6" single wall pipe. Bought at Menards, cheapest price for pipe that I have found. Cleaned every year and this is its third year. I don't have a damper in the exhaust and the single wall radiates heat nicely. I wouldn't recommend the single wall if there is anything flammable that it runs through or near though. Mine is in a seperate furnace room that is not finished and has concrete floor and walls.

The chimney is 33 ft. clay liner in a cinder block chimney. No need for a liner. I usually clean out the chimney once during the burning season and again in the spring. Between 4-5 gallons of creosote per year. That will depend on heat of fire and kind of wood you burn. You will probably need to redirect the exhaust on furnace. Don't want the possiblility of having the carbon monoxide backing up into the woodburner. Does that run up the chimney or just into the chimney? If up the chimney in a pipe, that would also create a cleaning issue.

Used to have a secondary fan control on the plenum of the furnace to kick on blower when the plenum reached certain temp. Disconnected that this year and it seems to keep the house more even with just turning it on at the thermostat in livingroom when more heat is needed. Found I was pushing too much cool air up into the house when the fire was starting to die down. Most the Daka blower will keep and steady stream of heat moving up into the house.

If a power outage were to occur, the Daka is made so that you can take the sheet metal off in a couple of minutes and have a radiant heat unit. I haven't had this happen but the family could be in the basement during a power outage and have heat.

Now a couple of words on the quality of the Daka:

Pretty good unit especially considering the price. Heats my 2000 sq.ft with very little kick in by the natural gas furnace. All together I have about $800 in mine and it paid itself off in about 4-6 months. I used to have $300-$400 power bills (gas & electric), the bill was $112 last month. I still gas running the dryer, stove and hot water.

There is definately a learning curve to any stove operation. I can get 12-14 hour burn times with the damper closed and good wood in. The damper all the way open will give me 3-4 hour burn times. I work overnight and feed it around 9 before going to work and get home at 7 and there will still be coals if the damper is 1/2 open. If the temp is above 40 degrees during the day, I have to run it with the damper close or the house will be close to 80.

I hope this helps and if you have any further questions just post them here. That way other people with more suggestion and tips can help you out too. There is a ton of knowledge on this site.

Matt

Latest posts

Back