trying to get to the bottom of afrermarket ignition triggers

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stugguls

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hi All,

I've read about all I can find on this site and others about retrofitting an aftermarket ignition trigger to my 076 which has a dead ignition and am still wondering how well it actually works. I was under the impression that the 076 had a variable timing chip, which retards the spark for starting and advances it at high rpms? I don't know this for sure as its a pretty old saw, and don't know if the trigger is what varies the timing? It appears the oem parts are almost impossible to find these days. I have access to 051 parts, but haven't heard if a points system is adaptable or even If I want to go that route? This is my favorite milling saw and need to keep it going.

I am wondering if anyone has done this successfully for a saw put to the test for milling?

This a great forum by the way, been reading it for years but this my first post.

Thanks in advance for any help,

John in Duvall

You need the trigger unit #1118 400 1001, which fits 009,010,011,012,015,020,030,031,050,051,076,084,ts510,ts760
which should stihl be available from Stihl for @ $35-$40

Back