Trying To Keep Our Saws Quieter

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was running the Quake yesterday, completely stock muffler, and liked how quiet it was. Was playing a little with it while cutting up what little firewood I have left, and was also seeing if I could do a bore cut with the safety chain that was on it and noodled a couple crotches this way.

I then thought I'd bust out the 10-10s and try it.

I really like how loud it was, for a few seconds, then had to bust out the ear plugs. It does sound like a chainsaw though... :)

I dont know what the hell the guy before did to my 288 muffler but its just stupid. Pops at idle like a cammed 454, and damn near rips your ears off when you goose it. Gonna keep an eye out for an OEM muffler.

here is my 603,,,, I did not add an extra opening,,, the opening behind the deflector was only the size of a nickel so I opened it up to the same size as the deflector and also took the baffle completely out of it,,,,, it is louder but not so loud that it will make you deaf
IMG_0725.JPG

Like I said Mo, I must be gettin old. I sold all my 372s because the noise they make hurts my head. They are cool to run for a few cuts, but after running one all day......I hate em.

Never ran one all day,

But a couple hours running a milling saw reminds you to wear ear plugs?

A lot of people equate loud noise with power.

Harley Davidson riders come to mind. Accomplishing the first is no guarantee that you will achieve the second.

You cant believe the look on a harley parts guys face when you ask if the 2in1 stock pipes on certain models would be quieter than the stock dual pipes I currently have on my sportster. I have come to the realization if I want quieter pipes I am going to have to make them my self or just trade for a BMW.

I am definitely old, but running a quiet saw is a pleasure. I always wear muffs, as my ears ring enough already. Of my three "big" saws, (all ported and MM'd) the 385 is by far the loudest. Louder than the masterminded 394 and the supermike 288. The problem is I definitely notice an improvement in performance with the mods, and I applaud Randy for trying to come up with a quieter breather

I am with you randy,,, my 372 is a lot louder then my 603,,,,, I am already 60% deaf but it is still real loud

A lot of people equate loud noise with power.

Loud gets annoying when working between houses or in the city all day with the sound bouncing off everything.

I think that it is great if you can get the benefits of the mod without the noise.

I have a couple of electric and battery powered chainsaws that are very quiet - about as loud as a reciprocating saw. Very nice to use in the city without disturbing the neighbors. Don't raise any questions either.

Philbert

I just opened the area under the deflector and leave the stuff inside alone except if it has a CAT it comes out

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Back