trying too start logging

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
hey guys looked at a good tract of hardwood today and im going too look at another tract tomorrow.

how much do you pay the landowner for a good tract of hardwoods?
20-25% of the board foot value or what

Offer to cut on shares, pretty common for a small outfit, 50/50 or 60/40- you get the 60.

What hammerlogging said...

hey guys looked at a good tract of hardwood today and im going too look at another tract tomorrow.

how much do you pay the landowner for a good tract of hardwoods?
20-25% of the board foot value or what

The last tract of good timber I tried to buy in Alabama was in about 93.
It belonged to some very good friends and was mostly pine peeler logs. GP paid them more on the stump than they paid me at the mill. I went to the mill to talk to the big man who gave me my contract about it and he just shook his head and said he was sorry that is just the way it was.

Right now you need to check on tie log prices and specs in north Alabama. You will normally have a lot more tie logs than high grade logs and last winter they where paying pretty good.

If a load of tie logs bring more than grade logs, I suggest that you wait things out. . . .

:Eye:

I am saying that there will be a lot more tie logs in a typical stand of hardwood in that part of the country.
You can sell them for grade logs but you don't want to. There is a big demand for tie logs right now and they are probably bringing a lot more than you think.

I am saying that there will be a lot more tie logs in a typical stand of hardwood in that part of the country.
You can sell them for grade logs but you don't want to. There is a big demand for tie logs right now and they are probably bringing a lot more than you think.

At times, I cut alot more ties than anything else, but I never saw ties bring anything close to a good stack of veneers. That is what I am sayin. .

in the right timber, ties stack up quick!!

At times, I cut alot more ties than anything else, but I never saw ties bring anything close to a good stack of veneers. That is what I am sayin. .

in the right timber, ties stack up quick!!

There is not a lot of veneer in that part of the country.
Almost any log can be a grade log but there are often many more low grade logs than high grade. Just a little tip, Check your tie log prices and specs and maximize your profit.
Lacy McIntire is not far from you and has always been a great mill to do business with.

As far as I know, Shenandoah Hardwoods & "Fitzgerald" have been the two major hardwood buyers here for a while. .

White & yellow pine along with good tight ring coffee Lord bless you if you can find a load and "wood" go to different places. Wood goes to Covington, Wesvaco. . The pine and coffee I dont even know. . .

in my area i have 7or 8 different mills i can sell too. it just depends on who is paying what and how far away it is.

in my area i have 7or 8 different mills i can sell too. it just depends on who is paying what and how far away it is.

I was posting to late last night.
Lacy McIntire is just south of Gadsden on 431 and always pays good and are great to work with.

it could be alot better but it could also be alot worse.
its mostly sall stuff but the guy wants it cut. there is alot of pulp wood on it. but we will see how it goes

From a landowners perspective...

As long as you take care of the landowner and take care of his land you'll always have plenty of work to do. Word of mouth advertising among landowners...with the reputation taht you treat people and their property with respect...will get you a long way. It'll be up to you to see if you can figger out a way to make a profit by doing all that but never cheat anybody just to make money.

Good luck to you

i cant stand a lier and a thief so i will never become one myself. when i told this land owner i would do the job im going too do it even though i way lose money

First sell that worthless 2000. You can sell the 2000 for almost as much as a 4000 is worth. They will handle a loader better but still pretty light. I have both and the 2000 would scare me after using the 4000. The 2000 is very light. Just be careful! Am cutting tie logs now, that until I broke my ankle. That is another story.

well my grandfather bought the 2000 brand new in 73' so it will not be sold. ill just save up enought too buy something else and take the 2000 back home too do what its been doing for the last 37 years lol.

How's it going so far?

I'm just starting out too. I found that the horse loggers forum has lots of discussion for small-scale one-man operation loggers. Only difference is I use a tractor and winch.

Back