TS 41-420 Crank Bearings

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mobiletec

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hey everyone. just replacing top end of a Stihl TS420 cut-off saw when i noticed the crank bearing ball retainers are all mangled and broke. Anyone know of afermarket or any other sthil saw that may have these same size crank bearings?. Here in Canada they want or 100 bucks just for the bearings. I can get crank bearing for a still TS 400 For $17.00 bucks. I found with these saws that the crank bearings grenade and the cylinders don't go so bad with oil starvation. You can basically clean up the cylinder wall and change piston and rings and way you go. but the bearings give way instead as apposed to the TS 400 the bearing lat much longer ,but the cylinder and piston assy go bad.

What size bearings,what numbers are on them-both sides? Unless they are special bearings designed by Stihl just for that saw you can usually get them from a bearing store for a lot less,sometimes even better ones.
Cutoff saws often suffer premature engine failures from the grindings from whatever they are cutting(Concrete or metal?) getting by the air filter. If the entire engine and air filter assembly aren't sealing perfectly on a cutoff saw then the abrasive grindings and dust will wipe out the motor quite quickly so always make sure the filters are good and everything is sealed perfectly.
Anyway what are the numbers on both bearings?
If you can get aftermarket bearings I prefer to order bearings with a plastic(Sometimes called teflon) cages if available(Have the bearing store check their catalog) they are better than bearings with the metal cage,as the cage is the usual failure of a ball bearing,as you've seen.
Usually bearings from a bearing store are about $20 each.

Latest posts

Back