TS 510 AV question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

whatscooking

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
While back i asked a guy where i took some old batterys to drop off if he would keep an eye out for old saws, so i stopped by yesterday and we went back into his shed and he pulled out this Sthil 510, i pulled the rope and it felt really low on compression. Well it looked somewhat used but clean and best i could tell all there, never really looked at one before. He took it over to his scale and sit it down i asked how much he said $3.20 i gave him $5.00 he gave me back $1.00. I put my compression guage on it when i got home and it read 80 psi but even with my poor hearing i could hear a hiss every time the piston came up. I looked in a hole right above the spark plug and there was a plug with a screw driver slot in it so i tightened it up and got 135 psi so spark plug back in and it started right up and sounds good. My question is that supposed to have a screw in plug there or do i need to go to the dealer and get a de compression valve? And if it is a plug could i locktite it in?

You should have a decompression valve on it. It sounds like, without see pictures, someone took the valve out and replaced it with something else. Post a picture of the plug.

Back