TSC Bar & Chain Oil

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sloch24

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
I was reading in another thread, and someone was commenting on Tractor Supply's brand of Bar and Chain Oil... Anyone NOT like this stuff? How does it compare to Stihl oil? It's on sale for $6.99. I was at the Stihl dealer yesterday, and they wanted $13.99/gal.

For $6.99, I might just buy a couple of cases, if it compares at all to Stihl oil.

While I'm at it, anyone have any other favorite less expensive oil?

I was reading in another thread, and someone was commenting on Tractor Supply's brand of Bar and Chain Oil... Anyone NOT like this stuff? How does it compare to Stihl oil? It's on sale for $6.99. I was at the Stihl dealer yesterday, and they wanted $13.99/gal.

For $6.99, I might just buy a couple of cases, if it compares at all to Stihl oil.

While I'm at it, anyone have any other favorite less expensive oil?

I.D.K. but I'm interested in the answer to this one as well, because that's the same price as a gallon of Arnold's at Sears ($6.99). Is Stihl's actually any better (N.M. twice as good at $13.99 per gallon)!

Oops

I just went through and read the other postings... sorry this thread is so similar to the other one...

But it didn't answer my question... so.. ;)

We run it in all our saws (eight saws) and it seems fine to me.

I do all the maintenance for the saws and haven't noticed what I would call accelerated wear on the bar or chains..... but most of our cutting is done in an urban area so bar and chain longevity is shortened from hitting objects in trees (nails, fence, concrete, rocks etc...).

Hope that answers your question, the only time I use Stihl bar oil is when it would cost more in gas to drive to TSC than to drive to the Stihl dealer.

Fred

Edit: Those are the only two brands I use.

Last edited:
TSC brand is fine bar/chain oil. I think its actually tackier than the Stihl oil. Works just fine for me. I use it as much as I can. Stihl is more expensive and I dont see the reason to use it over TSC's.

We run it in all our saws (eight saws) and it seems fine to me.

I do all the maintenance for the saws and haven't noticed what I would call accelerated wear on the bar or chains..... but most of our cutting is done in an urban area so bar and chain longevity is shortened from hitting objects in trees (nails, fence, concrete, rocks etc...).

Hope that answers your question, the only time I use Stihl bar oil is when it would cost more in gas to drive to TSC than to drive to the Stihl dealer.

Fred

Edit: Those are the only two brands I use.

Is that just happenstance, or are there any particular brands you'd not recommend? Also, what do you want in exchange for your top row of space to rent? I suggest in the meantime putting one of those Does Ghillie Signature advertising work? (It just did!) like they put on the back of grocery-store receipts.

Is that just happenstance, or are there any particular brands you'd not recommend? Also, what do you want in exchange for your top row of space to rent? I suggest in the meantime putting one of those Does Ghillie Signature advertising work? (It just did!) like they put on the back of grocery-store receipts.

I guess on one hand you could say happenstance. One of my partners buys hydraulic fluid ond other maintenance items for our equipment at TSC so he picks up bar oil to keep on the truck while he is there.

When I am at the Stihl dealer picking up parts, I will sometimes grab a gallon of bar oil for my personal use. The Stihl dealer just raised the price on bar oil to around $13.00. Just a month ago, I bought a gallon for $8.00.

I can't remember any brand name I would not recommend, I have just seen what other people have run and noticed how thin their oil seemed to me.

I don't feel the urge to look for anything cheaper than TSC brand as of yet, so I can't say what NOT to buy. Just that if it is more like motor oil and not "tacky" it will sling off the chain and not do it's job.

As far as the space, currently Stihl and Husqvarna are in a bidding war...They know it is valuable property!!! :biggrinbounce2:

And for a while I did run something like a "can you see this?" and I got called a "rep ho!" so I took it down! :ices_rofl:

Please keep you hands and feet in side the ride at all times and thanks for visiting "Ghillie's chainsaw advice and amusement park!"

SEND ME MONEY!!!!

Last edited:
O.K. thanks Ghillie. None of these are any more or less out of my way, since I am always passing a Sears, T.S., and Stihl dealership anyways. So I'll be sure and try the T.S.C. brand. Especially if it's better AND cheaper.

L.O.L. @ the bidding war. Just be careful- because once you sell out, you have to answer to your sponsors (I.E. if your post content offends the wrong group of people, boycotts follow, sponsors unhappy etc)!

Poulan Oil

Any comments about the Poulan oil??? Good, Bad, just don't want to have anything in the truck with the Poulan name on it?? :)

I ran some craftsman oil for a while.. .seemed okay, but the Stihl seemed a little tackier.. I wonder if the craftsman is the same as poulan? I think their saws are still made by poulan, but who knows?

Even if the oil is not as good it's still a better deal. How many gallon go you have to use before the price difference pays for a new bar? You can get a 20"and under bar pretty cheap. So after 3-4 gallons your money ahead even if it does ruin your bar. I have been using of brand oil for years and never noticed any difference.

Scott

Poulan Oil

I run poulan oil in all of my saws because it's cheaper, it's not a tacky as stihl but I'm not digging in the dirt with my chain either. Poulan oil works just fine, it's on the same level as the TSC oil that I used to buy before they went up from $5 to $6 early this year. Go buy yourself a quart of stihl oil and a quart of poulan oil and to a little test of you own to see which you like better in your saws.

Tsc

Okay, there's a Walmart right across the street from the TSC, so I checked them both out... Our Walmart doesn't carry B&C Oil... I just bought a few (6) of the TSC Oil...

Thanks for the input!

My wifes has trained to shop for the best prices, so I buy whatever on sale. Has there ever been a "the worst bar oil" thread, anyway? 'Prolly not:dizzy: .

I bought a couple gallons of Super Tech oil at Walmart. That's their house brand. It's only $5.xx/gallon. It's thinner and less tacky than the Stihl oil. It might make a good winter oil. I'll have o try the TSC stuff for the summer.

Well, you might look at it this way. TSC bar and chain oil is so much better than the goop I bought at Home Depot (by mistake) one day, that there is no comparison. The HD bar and chain oil smelled like #6 oil. Lord knows where they got that stuff. My truck's drained-out crankcase oil would probably have worked about as well. I refused to use it in the Stihl and apologized to my old Macs that eventually gobbled it up.

I bought some TSC oil in June for $6.50/gal and should have bought more then.

Last edited:
I don't know what Brand of Bar Oil TSC in the US carries, but TSC up here in Canada carries Performance Plus, and we have been using it here on the Farm, for as long as I can remember. I've never had any problems with it. I use the Heavy in the Spring when it gets warmer, Summer and Fall until it turns Colder, and switch to Light Chain Oil from Performance Plus as well. it is $6.99 up here as well.
Bruce.

Itasca from Auto Zone...finding it to be very similiar to poulan...4.99 a gallon. I bought a case and added the price difference btw that and Stihl bar oil to my CAD fund.

Well, you might look at it this way. TSC bar and chain oil is so much better than the goop I bought at Home Depot (by mistake) one day, that there is no comparison. The HD bar and chain oil smelled like #6 oil. Lord knows where they got that stuff. My truck's drained-out crankcase oil would probably have worked about as well. I refused to use it in the Stihl and apologized to my old Macs that eventually gobbled it up.

I bought some TSC oil in June for $6.50/gal and should have bought more then.

I agree with you. I bought some Bar and Chain Oil at TSC in May or June, and paid $6.99 CND. Today I bought some more Bar and Chain Oil at TSC, and Paid $8.99 CND for it. It Jumped $2.00 CND in price.

Back