TSC Winter Grade Bar Oil

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
That’s what they had a couple weeks back ....clear.
And after a couple of tank fulls it has clogged to the point of not oiling at all.
On 3 diffent saws. Flush with premix and back to the regular TSC Bar Oil and everything seems fine.
Anyone else experience this?

Only problem with bar oil I've had is Stihl "bio-bar" oil. It goes bad and polymerizes.

It's worst outside the saw in clutch housing/cover/bar. Turns sawdust into a crud harder than asphalt. I had to toss a chain, links would not loosen up. I tried diesel, gasoline, engine cleaner, acetone, alcohol, detergent....... If you run that stuff, clean up the saw and run tank dry, it's the "E-10" of bar oils.

Somebody at work had same problem........not petroleum based they said
Just needed oil that day. And their Hookie oil was $16 so went for the TSC. It was in a silver jug but grabbed half a dozen and went to work.
Dont know if the two types don’t mix well or what.
I did not read the instructions on the jug.

Since I’m not using bar oil a lot right now I purchased a case of Poulan quarts of bar oil. I have about five gallons of waste oil tucked away. I’m thinking about throwing an older bar on and running it. Maybe filter it and mix some new oil in it.

I think you got a bad jug Unc. Winter grade is just thinner viscosity stuff. However Bar oil contains a large amount of "tackifiers" which sets it apart from conventional oils. These additives reduce sling off especially when the chain goes around the tip. I suspect you got the bottom of the barrel which was more tackifiers than oil. If you have some left cut it with diesel until it seems the right consistency and see how that works. In my old sawmill I always used bar oil cut 50% with diesel to lube the main saw arbor bearings...….these were babbit...2 3/4" shaft with three 10" wide bearings on 6 feet of shaft. Fill the oil pots in the morning and top them off again at lunch.....sawed over 300,000 BFT of lumber over the years and the bearings are still tight and smooth......haven't had to pour new bearings yet.

I think you got a bad jug Unc. Winter grade is just thinner viscosity stuff. However Bar oil contains a large amount of "tackifiers" which sets it apart from conventional oils. These additives reduce sling off especially when the chain goes around the tip. I suspect you got the bottom of the barrel which was more tackifiers than oil. If you have some left cut it with diesel until it seems the right consistency and see how that works. In my old sawmill I always used bar oil cut 50% with diesel to lube the main saw arbor bearings...….these were babbit...2 3/4" shaft with three 10" wide bearings on 6 feet of shaft. Fill the oil pots in the morning and top them off again at lunch.....sawed over 300,000 BFT of lumber over the years and the bearings are still tight and smooth......haven't had to pour new bearings yet.
Didn’t know. The black jug is petroleum....this is a clear synthetic I guess. Robbie had the same trouble.
Will do the diesel thin. Not junkin 5 gallons of bar oil!!

Back