Tsumura saw bars

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spotted Owl

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
That's it. I'm sold.

Oregon haven't been what they used to be. Light weight are to limp for me. I give up on Oregon bars
Stihl ES are good. Bad experiences with their lightweights.
Cannon are phenomenal. But to darned heavy for me, maybe I'm getting to be a bit of a wimp.
GB titanium, are fair at best in my limited use.
Haven't tried any others to speak of.

These checker board bars, take a beating and keep on going. The rails are tougher than anything, on par with and probably a sneezle better than Cannon, I do like Cannons belly though. Even when abused I don't have cause to say anything bad about them. There is a guy on the site here that sells them, decent price I think, and a very very good guy to work/deal with. I got my first one from a guy in town that was selling out. Got the next two from the guy on the site. Just ordered 3 more. Only down side I can see is the tips, the do wear a bit quicker than I expected from the way the rails wear, but nothing at all to sneeze at either.

So long as I can get my hands on them, my saws will be wearing these bars.

After reading this I wish I had some stock in the company, pretty good commercial huh?

Kidding aside, if you're looking for a good saw bar these are very good.

Owl

l am still not sold on which bar you like..l have found there are pros and cons to every 'feature' different brands have i.e cannon are super strong but super heavy at the same time. l have had good results with both light stihl bars either ES or E light bars are great. A 28" light ES bar on a 660 is as perfect balance as you can get. Other 28's unbalance the saw making it very nose heavy. l would rather go through a bar twice as fast if it made my cutting experience twice as good. Just saying.

l am still not sold on which bar you like.

The checkerboard Tsumura bars.

If Cannon could be the same weight as Tsumura, I would most likely run Cannon, I like their belly and wide tip. Pros and cons for sure, just seems that lately there have been more cons than pros to most bars. Balance isn't something I look for to much, 32 is minimum for my area, with 36 or 42 used regularly by many, blows balance right out of the water.

For my works I disagree about burning through twice as many bars for twice the cutting experience. I need a bar that works, I need a bar that does it's job well and lasts as long a time as possible under hard use and minimal care. If it does it's job well but doesn't last, I can't count on it, ain't gonna work. That's for me though.

Owl

Been running the stihl light bars for a year or so now, other then running em over occasionally and cutting to much hold wood from time to time they are holding up just fine, only smashed one to unusable so far... (skidders is heavy...)

I might try out on of them tsumara bars if the price is right though.

Their on tap with Oregon lights as far as price.

I have heard some whistle in the wind about a carbon insert Stihl bar. That could prove interesting. Anyone know anything about that?

Owl

I think that carbon bar is just a concept for the carbon saw that wore it.

I've used the ES lights (36" and 28") and found them to be very durable and the rails hold up pretty good. My 36 needs a new nose now, flogged out a bit around the tip. It's got a lot of hours on it.

owl, i been running tsumara and sugi for a year now......i would say they both are better and last longer than anything else i have run. tsumara gets the nod as far as price, i can get one delivered for around the same price as a stihl from the dealer here.
i only have one light, a sugi, light is not as important to me as i don't normally have to pack in far, so i'm mostly running the solids in 28, 32 and36.

Sugi is the only bars I currently run. Had one on the 026 (sold it with the saw), the one you see to the left on the 55, and one on the 371. Do everything I need and then some. Weedeaterman.com

Nate I've got a Sugi that I'd like to liquidate myself of as I'm tired of dicking around with the adaptor on my Husky. Soon as I can I'm gonna order a couple Tsumura's. Still haven't decided which lengths though. 28, 30, or 32, then maybe a 36 for the second one.

Tsumura body/rails=great. Sprocket nose=good, but not as outstanding as the rest of the bar. Still trying to wear out the rails but could take a few more years at this rate. But the noses have been replaced. Twice on the 20", once on the 24", still just the original on the 'light and tough' "checkerboard" 32".

Also, in case anyone is wondering, they can't do anything bigger than 36", not even custom orders. So a 72" Tsumura milling bar is off the list.

Burned my 36 yesterday. Oil pump failed and I couldn't stop. Visual heat colors on the rails, down into the body and lot's of smoke. We'll see how it holds up now. Never had an oil pump fail before. This 36 has officially been handed more than it should ever have been. I'm very interested in the rest of it's life. Not the bars fault by any means, but it will pay the price?

Any way to test oil pumps? Other than the obvious? Unless I'm wrong(impossible), they're either a work or don't work type of needless necessity, no middle ground or way to maintenance test for upcoming failure.

Owl

Nate I've got a Sugi that I'd like to liquidate myself of as I'm tired of dicking around with the adaptor on my Husky. Soon as I can I'm gonna order a couple Tsumura's. Still haven't decided which lengths though. 28, 30, or 32, then maybe a 36 for the second one.
Details please

Burned my 36 yesterday. Oil pump failed and I couldn't stop. Visual heat colors on the rails, down into the body and lot's of smoke. We'll see how it holds up now. Never had an oil pump fail before. This 36 has officially been handed more than it should ever have been. I'm very interested in the rest of it's life. Not the bars fault by any means, but it will pay the price?

Any way to test oil pumps? Other than the obvious? Unless I'm wrong(impossible), they're either a work or don't work type of needless necessity, no middle ground or way to maintenance test for upcoming failure.

Owl
its either clogged which you could then clean, or its burned up, usually the gear that drives em gets wore out, so both need changed, or something is stuck inside the pump itself, and then needs changed anyway.

Owl
Usually if it quits it's the drive gear that messed up. The oiler if it's turning will pretty much pump oil.

That's what I thought. At least the new pump, new bar and chain are covered. It's sinking feeling, knowing that you are destroying something and you have no choice but to keep going. Never have, never will like that, just hope to keep it at an absolute minimum.

Owl

I've always got a spare bar... or a second saw, but the crummy has a 32 and a 36 in the tool box at all times, barring that a back up saw is pretty much on deck at all times, I don't currently have a spare to cover the 066 (661? maybe???) but the 461's do a fair job of covering most things the 66 can handle.

If you're "abusing" that many blades on the same powerhead, I can only imagine how poor of condition it is in now.

Latest posts

Back