Tulip tree

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jock

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Just finished a light crown reduction and thinning on a tulip tree near the centre of Carlisle(England), and got to admit its the first one i ever did, anyway the old lady told me she had went to Simcoe County Canada 30 years ago to visit relations and brought a cutting back wrapped in damp tissue and rooted it and planted it next to the street. Guess what some guys with a truck and a ladder knocked on her door a few weeks ago to tell her it was rotten and needed felling, before it fell on a pedestrian or a parked car!! Lucky she decided to call us, the tree is in perfect health and after a few cups of tea and biscuits, and looking at endless albums of holiday snaps, we scrapped the bill, and I can honestly say i have never done anything like that in my life before and probably never will again, but hey guys I feel good and our advertising signs will remain there for the next four weeks... :) and I slept very well that night...Jock
;)

Way cool dude!

Some of my favorite clients are seniors. Cannot count the number of times I've sat down with cofffee and cake or cookies to listen to them reminisce. Had a few that I would schedule the day around.

My folks are involved with the local Interfaith senior program, I been thinking of doing "pro bono" work through them. The center works with people that truley cannot pay for nessesities.

I routinely will do required tree work for a drastically reduced amount for seniors that are on meager incomes. Conversely I usually won't budge a penny for mid thirties couples without children. The ederly genuinely seem to appreciate kindness where as my generation appears to be much more self serving. I usually let my concience be my guide and don't worry about what I should have charged or how much more they might have paid. It's worked for me so far......why change. I don't have to lie to anyone and I'm asleep within three minutes after putting my head on the pillow.:)

In most cases, I prefer working for older people. The advantages include:-tea;cakes;biscuits;more tea. They are also genuinely more grateful for the work you do. Even If you give them a low price, you often get a bit back in the form of a tip, plus a string of other contacts.

Yesterday, I was working for one couple and the husband had seen service in what was Rhodesia during WW2: he'd been flying Hurricanes at the age of 19!! At that age I hadn't even taken my driving test - I was still struggling with reversing round corners and 3 point turns!

Latest posts

Back