Tuning Chainsaw: Wireless Tach vs. Tach With Wires

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hotajax

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Not a repair facility. Just want to keep my saws running good so they don't blow up. The wireless tachs seem very small and convenient, but come with a nice fat price. The old technology has wires on them. Do you have to attach the wire to the plug, or just simply wrap the wire around the high-tension spark plug lead? Remember, I'm not fixing this stuff for a living, just an occasional trip to the barn with a screwdriver. Thanks in advance for the info. Hot ajax

Im like you and I dont fix them for anybody but myself. With that said, I have the style with the wire, and while it works good, it is a pain to use. I wish I would've opted for the wireless.

I’m in the same situation. I do not do this for a living. I just tune my own saws. I bought the $19 tach on eBay. You wrap it about 5 times around the plug wire. Works great! The one I got has a memory that will keep the peak RPM until you clear it. The wireless is sweet though. I just couldn’t justify it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you aren't in a rush just keep your eyes open for a used wireless tach. It took probably about a year but I picked up a DTI for $25 on Fleebay that looked like new.

Had a tiny tach. It died. They didn't want to know about it. Added to the lifelong boycott list. Been using a wireless Opaama (PET) tach now for a few years. Great but bulky compared to the tiny tach. Some ASers have posted their wired/contact tachs don't actually need to be wrapped around plug wire to get a good reading. Perhaps there's a model of tach like that which is cheap and users can confirm can be used as a wireless model accurately. Might be worth looking through the threads, finding those posters and asking.

Latest posts

Back