Tuning questions

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Welderman85

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Hello all im working on everyone's favorite saw a strato charged 42cc poulan. It starts fine and idles good but after a wide open throttle if I just let off the gas it will stall. It fires back up fine. Im pretty sure it's a tuning issue but I don't know what to adjust the high or low and what way to go with it. Thank you

if you want to tune it correctly, start from step 1 and work methodically and for us to help you need to upload a video. Even though adjusting the wrong screw can improve it, it’s not correct. For example if you’re very rich on L and you compensate with lots of idle screw it may work, but it will affect the H fuel supply adversely because of it, you’ll have poor acceleration and lots of smoke.

Your issue could be too rich on H, to rich on L, or too low on the idle screw. However those carbs are often dependent too, they require the H screw to be adjusted first before the L screw.

Without knowing, start with the following.

Follow these steps if you have a tach

1). Obtain base setting for both mixture screws, and idle and WOT specifications from yourn service manual

2). Warm up the engine, and set the idle speed to spec. + 500 RPM

3). Tune the L mixture screw for the highest RPM obtainable (lean drop-off) while maintaining an actual idle speed at spec. + 500 RPM

4). Back out the L mixture screw to richen the mixture to bring the idle down to the specified idle RPM

5). Set the WOT RPM to the specification being careful to work from rich to lean while never holding the engine at WOT any longer than necessary to get a reading on the tachometer

6). Seat the limiter caps

Video here :

Or watch this video if you don’t have a tach:

Post up the model number of the strato Poulan.

Just a hint.
I had a similar problem with a strato 40cc area chainsaw awhile back.

Start and idle good but High rev not smooth and would die when coming back to idle but re-start and idle Ok.

The strato boot (the rubber tube between the upper strato port and the intake) was not sealing good and was leaking (sucking) air behind the strato butterfly port.

The saw was not smooth when going to high rpms and of course the H jet would not adjust properly.

Is this saw new to you or have you ever seen your strato Poulan run correctly?

Most generally you can buy a complete tune up kit for the strato Poulans for around $20 which includes a carb, spark plug air filter fuel lines and maybe the strato tube..
I sue the type carbs that has the metal strato linkage instead of the wimpy plastic types which are know to break at the linkage to the butterfly.

Back