Turning A Stihl 038 Into A Ported 038 Magnum

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I do not need another chainsaw. I Do Not Need Another Chainsaw. I DO NOT NEED ANOTHER CHAINSAW. I DO NOT NEED ANOTHER CHAINSAW!! Well, maybe just one more. :msp_sneaky:

you need to advance the timing, you will get another 1500 rpm in the cut. i upgraded to a bing knockoff from baileys and that thing woke up.....try it and see!!!!

[video=youtube;LS32WvKP7Jw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LS32WvKP7Jw&feature=youtu.be[/video]

I keep looking at this video and missing my Mag II even more. But I traded for a 2 seat go cart to take the little one for rides so I don't regret the trade just miss it.
Nice job again Randy !!

I keep looking at this video and missing my Mag II even more. But I traded for a 2 seat go cart to take the little one for rides so I don't regret the trade just miss it.
Nice job again Randy !!

I just really watched it for the first time Steve. Those saws have a real wide torque band....it's cool how you can lean on it and pull the rpm down without it falling out of the power. I'll be glad to see the difference with the Bing......

With the Bing carb.....

[video=youtube;dc5-rM-nB8c]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dc5-rM-nB8c&feature=youtu.be[/video]

Thanks Randy!!! I am going to have fun know with my first ported saw but not my last. Might just send my ms360 later this fall down to you. Lee

Looks like the bing worked out great !!

I miss my 038MII but don't regret the trade.

The joy in this picture would be worth 10 of them.See below.

I will be on the look out for another though.That saw was a blast to run in stock form, I had kept it over an 044 to boot.
Your doing great work there buddy, keep it up !!

253378d1348015414-gocart-hailey-jpg

Randy, The 038 is still running great. Its sports a 28" bar ay all times. Now if I could just find a good full wrap handle for it.

Cool.

I've seen very few 038 wrap handles.

Sry to tag the end but what would modding an ms380 look like? First just a little spruce up to run this yr she can’t go down right now but after :) time up day is tomorrow.

I do prefer working with the newer stuff, but I like collecting the older stuff. I just don't have the funds required to collect. If I could just find an OEM p/c for this 075 I have here. :D
Did you ever find OEM p/c? I just found nearly complete in box (carb ,muffler, side covers missing) begging for a forever home

Back