twin V twin chipper

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
those Kohlers cost about $1500 a piece. for an equivalent 27hp diesel your looking at $3500, for 50hp your looking at $5000. I like it. very sideways thinking....

Maybe yoou're too young to remember the four engine Top Fuel dragsters. Pretty amazing looking machines. AND the driver was still sitting behind the motors with the transmission and differential between his legs.

I have seen those dragsters, and multi engine tractor pullers locally. I have used hansa chippers quite a bit and they work very well.
I havent tried that model though. The thing I like about it is that your getting a 10inch chipper that has the physical dimentions of a 6 inch and weighing only 2200lbs.

Just needs a rotating turntable and mounted logsplitter and chainsaw vice......beer cooler

are the 2 engines hard coupled? If a man was chipping small stuff, could he run it using only one engine, thus saving fuel, and wear and tear on one engine, then add the power of the 2nd engine if needed? Or would one engine be dragging the other constantly?
Interesting design, though it looks like 2x the maintence and likelyhood of engine failures.
-Ralph

I just talked to a mate who knows something about them. According to him you can use the engines independantly. If your only chipping small stuff you can run just one engine. for the bigger stuff you can spark the other up and run on full power. Handy if theres a real gas shortage.
They got back to me after I emailed them and they do offer a single 68hp diesel but it sets you back an extra $7500 from the $37500 NZ dollars (about 26,000 us dollars) cost of the twin engine model and adds to weight. Actually I think the weight of the twin engine is more than they claim on the website as they mentioned 1200kgs in the email. The new infeed is 10 by 15 inch, pretty generous.

They also use a vertical anvil in there 6 inchers which is supposed to give it more of a slicing action rather than a chop and stops it bluntening on stones etc. I dont know if they use it on the bigger units.

Last edited:
Hey Timber it doesn't seem right does it we can pay 2 to 3 times as much for the gear and even though our charge out rates seem the same as elsewhere due to the dollar we effectively earn about 1/2 to 2/3 of what they do.

This 10" chipper (C50) was designed to both reduce the weight of the machine (about 1200kg) and reduce the initial buy price (approx NZ$12000 cheaper than other 10" machines). The disadvantage of the machine is that it is not as economical to run as one diesel engine.

Under normal operation both engines need to be running to operate the machine. The only way the machine can be run with one engine only is to release the belts off the pulley of the rotor from one engine. After starting both engines the clutch is engaged which simultaneously engages both engines, as the clutch engages both engines with the rotor at the same time.

The hydraulic motor is connected to one of the engines with a vee belt.

The Kohler engines are very reliable. We have had no problems with them.

The knife sharpening device is NZ$731.25. However it is only suitable for the Hansa Brush Chippers as the angle is pre-set and cannot be changed (approx. 38 degrees). The clamping bolts also only fit our blades.

I agree with that Timber wouldn't want to live anywhere else, just a bit hard when you want a new toy and there so many toys to want in this game.

Back