Twitch N Split Processor CHEAP MONEY?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mesupra

Mainer
Reaction score
In my quest for the improved wood splitter I came across the Twitch-N-Split processor, built just down the road from me in Gardiner, ME. Not sure if this product has been discussed and I apologize if it has. I believe it deserves some view time on such a great site. After watching the video several times, I am pretty tempted to either build one or save up enough to buy one, for $4000.00 it seems like you get a well built productive machine.

TWITCH-n-SPLIT - YouTube

Twitch-N-Split

Having not operated the machine or even seen it in person, lets positively critique the design layout and function of this processor.

The way I see it.

Pros:
Cost
ease of operation
cheap maintenance
Few componets
Wicked back saver

Cons:
Less than a cord/hr??
draged logs are hard on chains

this processor may have been discusssed once here but it is worthy of more discussion thats for sure. The contact information has never been put on a thread so thanks for doing that. Of course 4,000 is still more than i have on hand. I wonder if you can get it for less without wheels...maybe just have skids in place of wheels. Also its seems that the hydraling log straightender is not all that needed? all n all a great machine at a great price.

I agree, the straightener could be replaced by a funnel type opening, saving some money as well as skids in place of wheels. Should I try to build or buy one I think the wheels would be worth their expense in mobility. I would like to see a full spec. sheet but it seems like a tough build for $4000, all the hydro winches I have come across are around upwards of $1000. That being said a electric winch might be a feasible for the occasional user.

of course you would have to cost it out but I think it would be hard to beat 4,000 by enough to make it wortwhile. a funnel type opening would be good but a limiter on size I suppose. if that is a hydralic winch on that unit thats great...

Over all I like it. I don't need it to be super fast since it would be for personal use. I have enough stuff around the property that I could probably build it cost effectively.

With no hydraulic saw....what good is it? For that money I'd locate a used TW5 or TW6 Timberwolf with a log lift. I mean, since you still have to run a saw, and you still have to run a splitter valve...all you get for the $4000 is you don't have to lift a round up.
I have no doubt a TW5 with a 6 way would run circles around that thing and be easier to move around too.

I like that ramp idea!! edit- the exit ramp. cSeems like a low budget back saver. Wish the video was longer to watch the ramp in action.

Milemarker makes hydraulic winches for $750 or so. If your lucky you can find one with a frozen or worn out selenoid for cheap and just use a hydraulic valve in it's place.

Last edited:
It is interesting, but it does seem slow for the money.

Also, I'm sure OHSA really wouldn't like the operator having a running chainsaw in one hand while performing another operation with the other.

It is interesting, but it does seem slow for the money.

Also, I'm sure OHSA really wouldn't like the operator having a running chainsaw in one hand while performing another operation with the other.

Forget OSHA. I'd be concerned with running a saw with all that steel in the area. Won't take long before the weldment has shiny gouges. And the saw's bouncing off it.

Good to see people are at least checking it out. Seems like it would be much easier and quicker to run a saw standing up and not having to pick up or roll rounds onto a log lift. His out feed table / smooth bore culvert seems to work pretty good as well. I have figured I can build a similar machine given the materials I already have for around 1,400, using a 6000lbs electric winch.

Add a much larger pump, autocycle valve, faster and stronger piston, and a hydraulic saw and you have a Hud-Son Badger. Which costs about $14K brand new..

I think OLDTIMER is right but you might want to check out Wallensteins wood processor. Very similar and there are dealers in Maine.

YES THE wallenstien is like 14,000 or more. but it works on the same principal (the model that is simliar to the twitch and split) , you cut the wood with your saw, and it drops into a splitter and then its pushed down a pipe. some may thing different but this would make a big difference in my firewood production. When i think of building one myself i think of purchasing a tractor pto mounted splitter onto a steel frame similiar to the twitch and split. use a electric winch to move log. Of course you would need a motor to pressurize the splitter hydraulics, or put connectors onto your tractor.

Interesting concept. I think it's slow and looks unwieldy having to manually saw the rounds. I guess I'd be impressed if someone told me they built it!!

Dave

If it wasn't someone, who do you think built it? Here's your sign, LOL. I agree, the chainsaw slows things down a bit, it also keeps the price down, maybe a hydraulic saw will be an option.

My poInt was that the design and build of it looked like something someone on here would have dreamed up...if nothing else it did give some ideas for a new splitter project I had on the drawing board.

Dave

I figured thats what you were getting at. As far as I can tell it was designed and built by a individual much like most of the members of this forum, I was unable to find an official website company location etc. There are many self taught fabricators in Maine now having to rely on their skills to make a living, as I am sure is the case everywhere.

Here's a low cost home built set up but not too much info on it .

[video=youtube;bAckm2YdLEQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bAckm2YdLEQ&feature=player_detailpage[/video]

Not basic or home built and probably not cheap but this one is real fast :).

[video=youtube;UjbLZzTlbk8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=UjbLZzTlbk8[/video]

Back