New kinetic splitter launched by Split Second Log Splitter

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was told this was the first of the pilot run of log lifts. If you download the manual for the splitter under the support window. In the back of the manual lists accessories.

Then the next page shows a parts break down. If you wanted to add the safer two hand operation to a super split you would want to add part #13. A lock out pin. ;)

This video shows the lift. It is split seconds Ad.

Doug,

How close is the log lift to the cover? It looks like it comes real close to it. I really like the stabilizers. What did it cost?

Mike

Lift is 2 inches infront of cover. It could be mounted foward since it fits under the table. I put mounted it where the instruction said. Also picture of my plywood removable cover.

2x6 blocks to keep the plywood from sliding around. Held in by tube frame. Easy to remove.

The price for the lift is $400 plus UPS shipping. Plywood cover is extra.

1ea20586cde6a41913940a379b207643.jpg

46a41470f7610ee0562b3ee43481e057.jpg

3034ba78d5a0d3276b0cf77ba941fcb6.jpg

d047840a7161046e219e11cbb0905cea.jpg

3f805a6de077e65307830fd6a542d8c0.jpg

Looks like you had to drill 3 holes in the I beam....what did you use?
How long to do the install?

I had to drill 4 holes in the I beam and 4 in the work table. I just used a box store Milwaukee drill bit with my 24 volt dewalt hand drill. I just used the size above 3/8 bit. No pre drill hole. Drilling went easier than I thought. I hate drilling holes. I took my time and it was 2 to 3 hours with breaks and distractions. Lots of reading the directions and studying the pictures. Only one part didn't fit correctly. A little drilling and a bigger hammer was all I needed to get the round pin in the oval hole.

Doug,

That looks great. I bet you really fly thru the rounds now!

I am spoiled as I use my tractor bucket to hold the rounds for me, But I sure would like that lift when I bring the splitter up to camp.

I was told this was the first of the pilot run of log lifts. If you download the manual for the splitter under the support window. In the back of the manual lists accessories.

Then the next page shows a parts break down. If you wanted to add the safer two hand operation to a super split you would want to add part #13. A lock out pin. ;)

This video shows the lift. It is split seconds Ad.

Our Split Second Log Splitter Accessories are now available. And Yes - Our Log Lift will work on a Super Split.
Log Lift...$399.99
Log Dolly...$199.99
Log Cart...$299.99
Outrigger Kit...$79.99
All-Season Weather Cover...$129.99

Check out photos here: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.755651051169356.1073741837.632676220133507&type=1

Lift is 2 inches infront of cover. It could be mounted foward since it fits under the table. I put mounted it where the instruction said. Also picture of my plywood removable cover.

2x6 blocks to keep the plywood from sliding around. Held in by tube frame. Easy to remove.

The price for the lift is $400 plus UPS shipping. Plywood cover is extra.

1ea20586cde6a41913940a379b207643.jpg

46a41470f7610ee0562b3ee43481e057.jpg

3034ba78d5a0d3276b0cf77ba941fcb6.jpg

d047840a7161046e219e11cbb0905cea.jpg

3f805a6de077e65307830fd6a542d8c0.jpg

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.755651051169356.1073741837.632676220133507&type=1
Doug,

How close is the log lift to the cover? It looks like it comes real close to it. I really like the stabilizers. What did it cost?

Mike
Our Split Second Log Splitter Accessories are now available. And Yes - Our Log Lift will work on a Super Split.
Log Lift...$399.99
Log Dolly...$199.99
Log Cart...$299.99
Outrigger Kit...$79.99
All-Season Weather Cover...$129.99

Check out photos here: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.755651051169356.1073741837.632676220133507&type=1

How is the rack and gear holding up on these because over the last several years I have heard a lot of horror stories on these kinetic copies of the original super split . Are there any known failures of this model

Great question on the rack and pinion system because it is obviously one of the most critical parts on this style of splitter. We have not seen field failures with our rack/pinion system in normal production units, but I can tell you that we learned a lot about these components during our prototype builds and our extensive pre-production testing program. We were able to identify and spec very specific steel and heat treating processes that we are very confident result in a drive system that is second to none in the industry. We have some of our final test units with over 100,000 splits on them without any of these types of failures. This is why we felt comfortable backing our units with 3 year residential and 6 month commercial warranties.

Just a note to everyone following these kinetic threads. A quick glance back at the first page of this thread and you see some of the features we have built into our unit. Some of them like our patent pending adjustable height system and retractable hitch are industry firsts that you can only find on our splitter. Also as you see in this thread our log lift accessory will fit on a Super Split machine as an upgrade. We know of a couple of Arboristsite members that have purchased them and added that feature to their units.

Great question on the rack and pinion system because it is obviously one of the most critical parts on this style of splitter. We have not seen field failures with our rack/pinion system in normal production units, but I can tell you that we learned a lot about these components during our prototype builds and our extensive pre-production testing program. We were able to identify and spec very specific steel and heat treating processes that we are very confident result in a drive system that is second to none in the industry. We have some of our final test units with over 100,000 splits on them without any of these types of failures. This is why we felt comfortable backing our units with 3 year residential and 6 month commercial warranties.

Just a note to everyone following these kinetic threads. A quick glance back at the first page of this thread and you see some of the features we have built into our unit. Some of them like our patent pending adjustable height system and retractable hitch are industry firsts that you can only find on our splitter. Also as you see in this thread our log lift accessory will fit on a Super Split machine as an upgrade. We know of a couple of Arboristsite members that have purchased them and added that feature to their units.

I notice in all the videos and in your on-line manual that you have to hold the engagement handle up while the ram pushes forward. Is this correct? Can you lift the handle and let it go or will it disengage if you let it go?

I like everything about your splitter except the 2 hand operation and having to hold the handle up to keep it engaged (if that is the case). What I like about your splitter over the Super Split is wider wheel base, adjustable height, tow hitch, road towable tires, taller wedge, engine mounted on the axle for lower center of gravity for towing...One concern I have would be durability but have not heard of any problems thus far.

Your website states this machine is equal to 34 ton as compared to the Super Split at 12-24 ton. What is different that gives your machine more tonnage, since the flywheel weights are the same. More RPM maybe?

I have called your company 2 times with questions. I left a message first and no one returned my call. The second time I called I talked to a person with some questions and they said they would get answers and call me back. Haven't heard back from them. I have called Super Split also but they haven't returned my messages either. Makes me wonder what kind of service I would get from either company if I did have a problem.

Hello Hinerman – We apologize for not getting back to you sooner. You will be receiving a call today to answer any questions that you may have. We do take our service very seriously and do take the extra effort to make our customer and potential customer feel welcome to the Split Second family. We will be in touch today.
Split Second

Update. Split Second called me back today. The rep was very helpful and answered all of my questions. We talked for over 20 minutes. The 34 ton rating for the Split Second is arrived at through a complicated process that I can't explain. The 12-24 ton reference to the Super Split was taken directly from Super Split's old website. I forgot to ask about the handle, whether it has to be held in the up position once the rack engages.

Glad to hear you had a chance to talk directly with us today. Let me fill in the details on the handle question. As you know we have two handles on our splitter. First the shorter one on the front of the housing is pulled forward which dis-engages the safety mechanism and then you pull up on the longer poly handle on the top of the housing to engage the rack/pinion gears and complete the split cycle. The safety handle can be let go of as soon as you pull the splitting handle. It does not have to be held through the complete cycle. The splitting handle on top does have to be held as long as you want the ram to move forward. If you let off of it the ram stops and then retracts automatically. We did this for two reasons. First of all we felt it was a better to give the operator control over the split cycle so that if they wanted/needed to stop the movement at any time all they have to do is let up on the handle. The second reason we did this was that during our development testing we found that in many cases the piece of wood on the table actually splits completely in the first half of travel(sometimes in only a few inches). This gives the operator the ability to let off the handle as soon as they see the wood is split and then you are ready for another split in less than half the cycle time. A few weeks ago I was demoing a unit for a couple of local splitters and I swear almost every piece of wood for an hour split in a couple of inches. When the wood is popping like that, you can let off on the handle as soon as it splits, then you are ready for the next piece. Thanks again for your interest in our log splitter.

Latest posts

Back