New kinetic splitter launched by Split Second Log Splitter

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
LOL. So what do you think... Shouldn't Split Second splitters hook me up with a splitter to put it thru its paces!?!
Mighty fine idea. Hmmm, will your 4-way slip on their wedge too?

Waiting for the reviews from the Iowa Waukee charity cut group. :popcorn:

First I would like to say you have to give the guys props for bringing two splitters so far to be tested and get real word info. I my self did not run the super splits or the split seconds, but watched very closely and looked the split second over. A few things that stood out to me over the super splits. Adjustable height. Great move there. Engine location. Nice and out of the way, noise level compared to the super split was much less where the operated stood. The log lift, great idea but in my eyes needs improved. I like the simple operation but the location of the lift handle needs moved so you don't need to remove it after use. Gets to be an annoying process, it looked that way at least. The table out rigger legs, it's an option with that comes with the log lift if I understand that right, I would like to see that as a standard part on the base unit. It was painful watching how slow the hydro ram was compared to the kinetic splitters but what was more painful was watching the guys constantly grabbing the sledge hammers and beating chunks of wood off when they got stuck... I'll end with both types of splitters have a time and a place. both have there perks and downfalls.

Alex

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

First I would like to say you have to give the guys props for bringing two splitters so far to be tested and get real word info. I my self did not run the super splits or the split seconds, but watched very closely and looked the split second over. A few things that stood out to me over the super splits. Adjustable height. Great move there. Engine location. Nice and out of the way, noise level compared to the super split was much less where the operated stood. The log lift, great idea but in my eyes needs improved. I like the simple operation but the location of the lift handle needs moved so you don't need to remove it after use. Gets to be an annoying process, it looked that way at least. The table out rigger legs, it's an option with that comes with the log lift if I understand that right, I would like to see that as a standard part on the base unit. It was painful watching how slow the hydro ram was compared to the kinetic splitters but what was more painful was watching the guys constantly grabbing the sledge hammers and beating chunks of wood off when they got stuck... I'll end with both types of splitters have a time and a place. both have there perks and downfalls.

Alex

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Very well put Alex, I pretty much observed the same stuff that you have posted already. I will compliment the guys for bringing the splitters to demo for us and the hard work they they did with us. Those guys were right in the middle of things helping, not watching, and they were running their splitters and the others to their fullest! Its really cool to see a company do that!

Like Alex said the motor location made the operator noise level much better. I did run the splitters. I was impressed how well they split for a kinetic. I thought the wedge was sharper so it would cut some of the hard spot.

I ran the biggest nastiest crouch wood I could find. It took a 16 lbs sledge hammer to get the wood loose. But we did split it. I loved the cover for the log lift. It made a nice place to put the other half of the larger unsplit wood.

I thought the split second split wood better than my SS HD. Not as fast because of the two hand operation. Easy to fix that problem.

There is some simple linkage in there that can just be unpinned and moved.
Thanks. Did anyone try and confirm this option at the GTG or anywhere else for that matter?
I take it it's an easily reversible modification?

Is there any video of the SS and SSLS being run side by side at the GTG please?

Thanks. Did anyone try and confirm this option at the GTG or anywhere else for that matter?
I take it it's an easily reversible modification?

I did look inside and it would be simple. Once the pin is removed it is an almost exact copy of the super split. Just from looking. Nothing that complicated on a kinetic splitter except which type of metal and welds to use were. Split Second figured that out too. I think it was a ten minute conversation just about the type of metals in and around the wedge.

I did look inside and it would be simple. Once the pin is removed it is an almost exact copy of the super split. Just from looking. Nothing that complicated on a kinetic splitter except which type of metal and welds to use were. Split Second figured that out too. I think it was a ten minute conversation just about the type of metals in and around the wedge.
Yup and he was telling us of the hot weld process of attaching the wedge.

I have to agree with everyones statements on the splitters we used on saturday at the GTG/Charity Cut.
If one has a lot of big ugly pieces that are going to be difficult to split then a hydro will work better. In most cases when you come across just a few gnarlies they can easily be put of to the side for the boiler(in our case) or just cut them down once through the worst part with the chainsaw. I have a couple Huskies with sharp teeth that like to do that anyway and the big gnarlies will be easier to lift and maneuver if a bit lighter and smaller.
I would certainly go with a kinetic if I was in a production type operation as I believe they are faster all around. I think the gear reduction Super Split had a bit more power to push through the tough ones than the other Super Split or the Split Seconds.
I liked the wider wheel base, adjustable height, lower engine mounting location, outriggers and overall better stability of the Split Seconds. The log lift was neat too, It would lift 150lbs. with no trouble and worked great as a feed table, storage area for other half of split.

I have to agree with everyones statements on the splitters we used on saturday at the GTG/Charity Cut.
If one has a lot of big ugly pieces that are going to be difficult to split then a hydro will work better. In most cases when you come across just a few gnarlies they can easily be put of to the side for the boiler(in our case) or just cut them down once through the worst part with the chainsaw. I have a couple Huskies with sharp teeth that like to do that anyway and the big gnarlies will be easier to lift and maneuver if a bit lighter and smaller.
I would certainly go with a kinetic if I was in a production type operation as I believe they are faster all around. I think the gear reduction Super Split had a bit more power to push through the tough ones than the other Super Split or the Split Seconds.
I liked the wider wheel base, adjustable height, lower engine mounting location, outriggers and overall better stability of the Split Seconds. The log lift was neat too, It would lift 150lbs. with no trouble and worked great as a feed table, storage area for other half of split.
Noooooooooooooo Ron's going to the dark side! Someone stop him! [emoji41]

Dark side maybe? But, overall I like the concept of me not waiting for the splitter. With the kinetics the limiting factors become more about being able to keep a steady supply of wood going to them, because they will certainly go through it quickly.

Has anyone run a kinetic and a hydro with a 4 way where it's not mounted on the ram? (I don't like that set up) Wonder how the wood output compares.

Latest posts

Back