New kinetic splitter launched by Split Second Log Splitter

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Guess I will keep the Timberwolf that splits 6 pieces on every stroke and continue to split wood 4 x slower. Like I believe that.

There are videos on youtube where a SS out-produces a Timberwolf with a 6 way. It's kind of hard to believe though after you spent the money on a Timberwolf.

Mr. HE:cool:

Going to get to test drive the Split Second Splitter at the charity cut on October 11th. The design engineers are going to help split some wood and bring two splitters to help split and try.

:clap::clap::clap:, props to "Split Second Splitter" for showing up and showing off their product. Wish I could come. Will be looking forward to your reviews.

There are videos on youtube where a SS out-produces a Timberwolf with a 6 way. It's kind of hard to believe though after you spent the money on a Timberwolf.

I could see an SS going faster then a TW6 if the rounds were the perfect size. You get 1 round that you can't pick up, or a nasty and the whole show stops.

I can't pick up 3/4 of my rounds, but the TW6 doesn't mind them at all.

I'd still love to have an SS too. Seems like it would be fun!

For wood under 18" with a fairly straight grain, Super Splitters are hard to beat. I am not saying they will not split larger or gnarly pieces with multiple hits, just that with these pieces a hydro with a 4 way wedge can keep up or out preform.

I do not own a Super Splitter but have used them at Charity Cuts & you can really make some splits with it, especially if you have some one to load/unload for you.

I am looking forward to the reviews on the "Split Second Splitter" from the Iowa crew at Sam-tip's Charity Cut in Waukee, IA on Oct 10th. :popcorn::popcorn::popcorn:

First of all, the bigger SS price isn't far from what I paid for my TW.

How fast a TW or SS is, isn't that big a deal to me, my TW is more than fast enough for me. I don't even run it at full speed... BUT, having a splitter that will split EVERYTHING I need split IS a big deal. All those nice rounds you see going through the SS in commercials? They come from nice logs that go to my BSM... It's the tough, knotty rounds and crotch wood that I split, and ALL of those go right through my TW's 4-way, first try and they are gone.

Also, I'm not making "kindling", I need splits that will hold a fire, and my 4-way gives me that WITHOUT having to re-split the chunks over and over. Also, I don't worry about that stringy wood on the 4-way, I just throw another round on, and let IT push the stringy piece through....it all goes right through! That's something they don't show you on the SS vids... Used the way I need my splits, splitting the tougher wood, I doubt a SS is any faster than my TW, but I really don't care what one is "faster"...

Anyway, I'm NOT running the SS down, it's just not the end all, do all, some SS owners would have you believe.

SR

True the regular Super Split ( J and HD) have problems with knots and crotches. Must be hit multiple times to get the job done. Thus slowing my total output way down and upsetting me. It is lots of fun when you have three people and great wood. It will be nice to see how the Split Second splitter does on knots and crotches in the real world wood. Don't remember the weight of the fly wheels are on the split second.

We will have skid steer splitters for giants rounds, hydros with log lifts for big stuff and kinetic splitters for movable wood. I need to get the elevator that I got last weekend going to just pile the wood. Anyone have experience mounting a gas, electric or hydraulic motor to a drag grain elevator (Kewanee). Other wise we just put the split into a dump trailer and keep hauling the splits to another area.

I am thinking the adjustable height is going to be the thing that sells be on the split second. Plus if it can handle the normal everyday wood. We will have wood from 6 inches to 50 inches available at the charity cut. Split what ever size or shape you want. It is all in log length so if you just want to run a small or large saw great! PS no heavy lifting we have equipment for that. Or just come to watch BS and eat pie. Plus some swapping and buy of saws, special saw chain and parts.

For wood under 18" with a fairly straight grain, Super Splitters are hard to beat. I am not saying they will not split larger or gnarly pieces with multiple hits, just that with these pieces a hydro with a 4 way wedge can keep up or out preform.

I do not own a Super Splitter but have used them at Charity Cuts & you can really make some splits with it, especially if you have some one to load/unload for you.

I am looking forward to the reviews on the "Split Second Splitter" from the Iowa crew at Sam-tip's Charity Cut in Waukee, IA on Oct 10th. :popcorn::popcorn::popcorn:

We should just go and test it ourselves :)

First of all, the bigger SS price isn't far from what I paid for my TW.

How fast a TW or SS is, isn't that big a deal to me, my TW is more than fast enough for me. I don't even run it at full speed... BUT, having a splitter that will split EVERYTHING I need split IS a big deal. All those nice rounds you see going through the SS in commercials? They come from nice logs that go to my BSM... It's the tough, knotty rounds and crotch wood that I split, and ALL of those go right through my TW's 4-way, first try and they are gone.

Also, I'm not making "kindling", I need splits that will hold a fire, and my 4-way gives me that WITHOUT having to re-split the chunks over and over. Also, I don't worry about that stringy wood on the 4-way, I just throw another round on, and let IT push the stringy piece through....it all goes right through! That's something they don't show you on the SS vids... Used the way I need my splits, splitting the tougher wood, I doubt a SS is any faster than my TW, but I really don't care what one is "faster"...

Anyway, I'm NOT running the SS down, it's just not the end all, do all, some SS owners would have you believe.

SR

I agree with you. Add to that a log lift that lifts heavy rounds for you. A high quality hydraulic with 4-way is hard to beat. I would like to own a kinetic splitter though. With the right wood it would be extremely productive.

Are the splitters that they are bringing different or same design/model??? Good news that the company actually wants some real feedback

Thought I would chime in on this last question. The two splitters we plan to bring are the same model since we currently only have one type available. One of them will have our manual log lift attachment on it which should be available for sale before we get to the split in October. By the way for you Super Split owners the log lift will fit on your SS HD machine. We will also bring our firewood cart and log dolly accessories which will also be available by the end of the month. The items can be seen in some of our videos on you tube.

If the GTG could have a truck loaded with rounds and both a SSLS and SS at the tail gate and a person with a camera standing up on the truck deck or roof videoing both in the same shot then I'd wager it would impress upon not only buyers but SSLS how much of a difference one-handed operation makes.

SSLS have made a conscious decision to keep ambulance chasers off their case, and I'm sure we all understand why they would not put in writing anything other than discouragement of any mods to make theirs one-handed. But I really cannot see how they intend to prosper with a machine that is more expensive than a proven incumbent, and one that I perceive to produce less per day and with less enjoyment (two-handed operation would drive me nuts). The extra features alone are not enough to dissuade me from using nor recommending SS over SSLS.

If the two-handed operation could be modified easily enough (obviously without official endorsement by SSLS) then it's getting closer to something worth considering. But even then I'd need SSLS to pipe up with an answer as to what happens to the warranty of such a modified machine, assuming the mod is not something that can be reversed without detection thus giving SSLS the cloak of plausible ignorance of the modifications ever happening.

But as always, YMMV.

Kiwi, they have agreed to participate at the Waukee charity cut on Oct 10th which will allow AS members to try 1st hand their splitters & provide them with feed back.

Why don't we back off on the negative comments & wait to see how it goes?

Kiwi, they have agreed to participate at the Waukee charity cut on Oct 10th which will allow AS members to try 1st hand their splitters & provide them with feed back.

Why don't we back off on the negative comments & wait to see how it goes?

Yes, great, fronting with the product for people to use and compare is the only way forward.

But, with respect, don't preach to me about negativity and do not project that enquiring minds, obvious perceptions and the freedoms of expression many of us or those before us have fought hard to gain and preserve should be choked under the label of negativity. In short, I'll type what I darn well please, will not be smothered by a fear of being labelled negative or disrespectful, and I object to not only inferences I'm anything but objective, but the use of unpositive labelling to silence my opinions.

This isn't a PC soccer Mom's Sunday coffee group. This is AS, where all manner of wood creatures hang out and discuss related ideas and the merits of them and all sorts of equipment. Doggamit man, snap out if it.

Can't wait to see this log splitter at the Paul bunyon Show in Ohio!!! first weekend in Oct.!!!

I'm not seeing $3199 worth of splitter. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Me either!!
Had one of the original Super Splitters! About $750. Built like a tank! Made these machines look cheap compared! Those early SS's were cast iron wonders!!! Thing is still splitting wood over an old friend of mine!

SSLS considers AS "IS where the splitting expertise is and we want to tap into that knowledge" so I guess that's an acknowledgement some of us know what we are talking about and it's of some worth to SSLS.

In respect/defence of this two-handed operation, SSLS goes on to say they did so "to provide an appropriate level of safety as long as we could do it with no or a minimum amount of extra effort by the operator."

A quick tally up on this thread comes to about 11 posters raising concerns about the two-handed operation. Some of those posters, multiple times. Perhaps the "splitting expertise" in here doesn't find the two-handed operation or extra effort "appropriate" at all ?

Unless I am mistaken, there is nothing in here from SSLS detailing warranty issues around circumventing this two handed operation. In fact, it has been conspicuous by it's very absence.

I'm not out to offend but personally, I find the lack of straight talking in this respect suspicious and insincere. As if everything is sanitised in triplicate from the legal and marketing departments before broadcast on AS. When AS ceases to be a place of earnest/sincere discussion of ideas and concerns, and falls to various marketing departments and their agendas, this place will have next to zero utility for me. As always, YMMV.

I have to wonder how long Paul at SS can keep selling his evil hand/finger eater and not be buried in lawsuits. Or how long before competitors find a way to remove that positive point of difference SS has, which they seem hell-bent on not copying.

By the way for you Super Split owners the log lift will fit on your SS HD machine. We will also bring our firewood cart and log dolly accessories which will also be available by the end of the month. The items can be seen in some of our videos on you tube.

What about fitting the Special Edition model?

Latest posts

Back