New kinetic splitter launched by Split Second Log Splitter

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Does the splitter have a "made in USA" mark as regulated by the federal trade commission?

It's a yes or no question

COO Question was answered to my satisfaction. I'm going to assume (dangerous, I know) that we're smart enough to unpack the following quote:

Final comment is on the USA content questions. The majority of the important functional parts of the splitter are manufacturing here in the states and the entire assembly operation is done here in Sullivan, Illinois. Here is a quick list of those parts: Rack and pinion gear drive system, internal splitter actuation mechanism and it's parts, splitting ram/sled, I-Beam, Wedge, Structural tube frame, splitter housing, steel work table, wheel spindles, and retractable hitch tube. As I had said in the opening comments one of our philosophies as a company is try and maintain as high a USA content as possible on anything we do so we have invested in full machining, fabrication, welding(robot/manual),powder coating, and assembly capabilities here in Sullivan.

We would also like to offer up a tour and first hand demo if anybody on the board finds themselves headed past Sullivan, Illinois on their business or vacation travels. Give us a heads up and we should be able to make it work. Thanks for all of the great discussion and questions. Keep it coming.

The UHMW-PE sounds like a great idea with all the back and forth re-splitting on the table. I'm not sure where to buy it locally so I looked online. I found UHMW-PE is not UV stable, but UHMW-IPX 2000 is. Not much difference in price, it is about $165. for 4' x 5' x 3/8" sheet. It comes in thinner stock, but I was thinking countersinking some flat head machine screws and tapping the table or nutting it from be beneath. Good chance of getting junk under it around the wedge area and with screws it would be removable.

Sam-tip, when I read "the group in Missouri", I got to thinking, I really haven't heard of folks on the eastern side of the state active on this site. So for those in that area, say howdy & let us know your are here.

Does anybody have one of these yet? Interested to see if the extra $ over the SS is worth it or not.
I don't have one, but I saw one in action today,

standard.jpg

It worked well, easily splitting the oak they had there,

standard.jpg

they had one with the cover open, for everyone to see what's inside,

standard.jpg

I asked, and was told only the flywheels came from china,

standard.jpg

It had the lift on it too,

standard.jpg

It looked well made to me, and the guys there were really helpful in answering any and all questions anyone asked...

SR

Looks like the log lift can be pinned in the horizontal position to be used as a staging table. Nice feature. Wonder how full you can fill it before it will want to tip sideways.

Did you get to try using the log lift or see it actually lifting anything?

I did not use the splitter or log lift, I did lean on the lift a bit and I didn't see any signs of tipping.

My first thoughts were, it would be nice if it had more "horizontal" bars across it, so when you roll/throw shorter/smaller rounds onto it, they don't have to land perfectly on the side bars...

I do agree, that having to use both hands to send the ram, is something I didn't like.

SR

I did not use the splitter or log lift, I did lean on the lift a bit and I didn't see any signs of tipping.

My first thoughts were, it would be nice if it had more "horizontal" bars across it, so when you roll/throw shorter/smaller rounds onto it, they don't have to land perfectly on the side bars...

I do agree, that having to use both hands to send the ram, is something I didn't like.

SR

Well, you were checking it out, doesn't it look like a piece of wire or bungee cord away from one hand operation?

I don't have one, but I saw one in action today,

It looked well made to me, and the guys there were really helpful in answering any and all questions anyone asked...

SR

SR, thanks for the photos and mini review. That does look well made.

Mr. HE:cool:

Zogger with the speed of a kinetic you will be a piece of wire or bungee cord away from everything being one handed in your life.

Zogger with the speed of a kinetic you will be a piece of wire or bungee cord away from everything being one handed in your life.
Why stop there?
Or have you already figured out all the SS owners in here are typing with our noses, having already sacrificed all our fingers and toes at the kinetic alter?

I thought the guys were saying the original supersplit is one handed??

Be that as it may, the chances of me owning or running one are between zero and nyetski, so the point is moot.

I hear what you are saying though, it's a safety feature. Never ran one but seems keeping one hand away from the moving bits isn't that hard, but...never ran a kinetic. I have run about every single other wood alteration device out there, with the exception of a kinetic splitter or a chainsaw mill. Worked in shops that turned raw logs into finished furniture, and some other products, so am familiar with various high production woodworking machines.

To me, the most dangerous normal woodworking tool is a commercial chipper.

Latest posts

Back