New kinetic splitter launched by Split Second Log Splitter

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Have not tried the log lift on a Special Edition, but I think there will be one at the Iowa charity split that we are attending so we will let you know after that is done. If it has the same beam/table configuration it should fit, but we will confirm at the charity cut.

I can say as a small time full time firewood guy I would never touch a machine with a 2 hand operation. I sell several hundred cords a year. A lot of what I sell is cook wood. I have one hand on the splitter handle and the other hand never leaves the piece of wood. I have used and abused my SS for going on 10 years. I have not been nice to it at all. I hope the product works out for you guys but your price point is too high. Just a bit of research on the net and buyers are going to go with a SS. Number one reason. Call SS and talk to the owner/maker. You get great fast no BS service when you need it. I do like that you are asking for input from people. That shows you want to make what people want. These splitters are made for production in smaller wood plain and simple. The 2 hand option limits this too much. If your splitter is $3100 and the SS was $5k I would still buy the SS just because of the two hand operation. I would make up the difference in price with production pretty quick.

Scott

I saw one working at the Paul Bunyan Show in Ohio this past weekend and this machine is pretty sweet. I have been debating an upgrade to one from my hydro 22 ton. The manual log lift works. I lifted about a 16 inch across log with one hand and I am an average dude. The 2 handed operation is really not that big of a deal. The safety lever needs lifted first before the engagement lever and once you get the muscle memory out of the way for the process it is not a big deal. Other features that are of particular good note are the adjustable work height which I believe no other splitter has. The Suby engine was quiet and fuel efficient. It really is a nice machine.

I hope they do well. I like how they are getting the word out at all the different fairs. A lot of people just don't know about kinetic splitters.

That being said, I LOVE my SS. I actually just split about a 1/4 cord this afternoon and was thinking about the 2 hand operation. There is no way you can split as fast as the SS.

I am also waiting to hear if anyone has bought one.......

I saw one working at the Paul Bunyan Show in Ohio this past weekend and this machine is pretty sweet. I have been debating an upgrade to one from my hydro 22 ton. The manual log lift works. I lifted about a 16 inch across log with one hand and I am an average dude. The 2 handed operation is really not that big of a deal. The safety lever needs lifted first before the engagement lever and once you get the muscle memory out of the way for the process it is not a big deal. Other features that are of particular good note are the adjustable work height which I believe no other splitter has. The Suby engine was quiet and fuel efficient. It really is a nice machine.
OK, I was at the Paul Bunyan show too and i'm going to start this off by saying those guys at the Split Second booth are about the nicest guys you will ever meet. (I've met them before) They answered all of my questions and wasn't passing out any BS info...

BUT when I was standing there watching the Split Second work, a bigger tough to split block went up on the table. The ram hit it, then hit it again.... getting the ram stuck. A crow bar came out and with a pry the ram returned. Two more hits was tried and again the crow bar was needed. Then the crow bar was used (with some work) to get that block off the wedge...

Now, there's NO doubt in my mind, my "hydro" would have pushed that block right through the 4-way and what was left on top, i could of "easily" with one hand flipped it right over back on the beam, for a second trip through the 4-way and been done!

I can already hear you kinetic owners yelling "he should have read the wood", BUT my "hydro" doesn't require that kind of training... I bought it, gave my helper a few minutes of SAFETY training and away we went... To date i've split quite a bit of wood with my "hydro" and I've yet to find ANYTHING that won't go right through the 4-way....first try, every try and no crow bar needed. lol

OK, go ahead and crucify me! lol

SR

Anyone who thinks or claims these kinetics will split the uglies with ease need their heads read and to be ignored.

That said, and having owned both, there is a method to reducing the size of the ugly pile when using a kinetic that is different than when using a hydraulic. One does have to read the wood and all that jazz, but, especially when chasing production, the kinetic ugly pile will be higher than the hydraulic one, no doubt about it.

So why use a kinetic? Impressive production speed per $ spent, in anything but the uglies. Simplicity of design. Low total costs of ownership.

I won't crucify you, but how often does that happen? In most of the pictures of your wood, it's all straight. I am sure there are some pieces that my SS will have a hard time splitting like what you saw happen, but I havn't found them yet.
Until then I will have split a boat load of wood.

Not everyone is going to like the kinetic splitters.....and that's fine....but hydros aren't the perfect splitter either. I like all the advantages that the SS gives me over a hydro, and you like the advantages your hydro has over the SS. To each his own......

Anyone who thinks or claims these kinetics will split the uglies with ease need their heads read and to be ignored.

That said, and having owned both, there is a method to reducing the size of the ugly pile when using a kinetic that is different than when using a hydraulic. One does have to read the wood and all that jazz, but, especially when chasing production, the kinetic ugly pile will be higher than the hydraulic one, no doubt about it.

So why use a kinetic? Impressive production speed per $ spent, in anything but the uglies. Simplicity of design. Low total costs of ownership.
I have used my new to me SS "Special Edition" for one week now to split about 1 1/2 cords. KiwiBro's explanation on what to expect is spot on. I now save my severe uglies for my buddy who bought my Huskee 22 ton. There is no sense in wasting my time.

I won't crucify you, but how often does that happen? In most of the pictures of your wood, it's all straight. I am sure there are some pieces that my SS will have a hard time splitting like what you saw happen, but I havn't found them yet.
Until then I will have split a boat load of wood.

Not everyone is going to like the kinetic splitters.....and that's fine....but hydros aren't the perfect splitter either. I like all the advantages that the SS gives me over a hydro, and you like the advantages your hydro has over the SS. To each his own......

And this is why...we need...the kinetic/hydraulic hybrid! That's right...normal kinetic..it gets stuck and doesn't split, automagical computer sensor takes over and activates the hydraulic ram that finishes the split......

And this is why...we need...the kinetic/hydraulic hybrid! That's right...normal kinetic..it gets stuck and doesn't split, automagical computer sensor takes over and activates the hydraulic ram that finishes the split......
Hmmm. Warrior ninja gnome airbags built into the wedge. Flick a switch and they release their fury?

Hmmm. Warrior ninja gnome airbags built into the wedge. Flick a switch and they release their fury?

Well, the splitter ram for the kinetic has to be the hydro ram cylinder. No idea how to keep the hoses from falling apart after hundreds/thousands of rapid splits. That's one way...not real promising...

However..OK....a real hybrid might have two well balanced smaller hydro units to the sides of the kinetic, most unused until needed, designed to just push a stuck round off the kinetic ram, then return. Slip a pusher plate across the two side rams, and finish the split with the hydro. So you can mix or match with the same splitter. Get into a batch of uglies, just use the hydro, get into good straight stuff, switch to the center kinetic.

OK, I was at the Paul Bunyan show too and i'm going to start this off by saying those guys at the Split Second booth are about the nicest guys you will ever meet. (I've met them before) They answered all of my questions and wasn't passing out any BS info...

BUT when I was standing there watching the Split Second work, a bigger tough to split block went up on the table. The ram hit it, then hit it again.... getting the ram stuck. A crow bar came out and with a pry the ram returned. Two more hits was tried and again the crow bar was needed. Then the crow bar was used (with some work) to get that block off the wedge...

Now, there's NO doubt in my mind, my "hydro" would have pushed that block right through the 4-way and what was left on top, i could of "easily" with one hand flipped it right over back on the beam, for a second trip through the 4-way and been done!

I can already hear you kinetic owners yelling "he should have read the wood", BUT my "hydro" doesn't require that kind of training... I bought it, gave my helper a few minutes of SAFETY training and away we went... To date i've split quite a bit of wood with my "hydro" and I've yet to find ANYTHING that won't go right through the 4-way....first try, every try and no crow bar needed. lol

OK, go ahead and crucify me! lol

SR

I'm glad they make a machine simple enough for you to operate without too much thinking.:laugh:

Mr. HE:cool:

I have used my new to me SS "Special Edition" for one week now to split about 1 1/2 cords. KiwiBro's explanation on what to expect is spot on. I now save my severe uglies for my buddy who bought my Huskee 22 ton. There is no sense in wasting my time.
Thats funny cause I have a have a pile of uglies that I set aside from the TW-5 to split with the SS. :p No point in wasting my time. I was using the TW-5 to split some large rounds, that log lift is dam handy but once they get so big I still quarter them with the saw. Some of the 16" long rounds were weighing in at over 1100lbs.

I have used my new to me SS "Special Edition" for one week now to split about 1 1/2 cords.
You got a great deal on that.
Thats funny cause I have a have a pile of uglies that I set aside from the TW-5 to split with the SS. :p No point in wasting my time. I was using the TW-5 to split some large rounds, that log lift is dam handy but once they get so big I still quarter them with the saw. Some of the 16" long rounds were weighing in at over 1100lbs.
Most of us have seen (and love) your SS mods and wonder if this is your shopping cart:
image-5999.jpg

What is a good grease to use for the underside of the rack and the pinion gear of the SS?

Latest posts

Back