New kinetic splitter launched by Split Second Log Splitter

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In the video it looks good, obviously will split wood, adjustable height is good, but...three thousand bucks!

Split second, good to see you guys here. I like market competition and like the kinetic splitters so much I've built one myself and bought others. Thanks for creating jobs here and sourcing the rack and gears from the US, that is a huge step for newcomers to this market.

Having said all that, I probably won't buy one, all because of the two handed cycle activation. I don't know where that bad idea comes from, but it is a bad one. I've run these types of splitters and two handed activation is a step backwards in design. After these units hit local stores if I really liked what I saw I might buy one, but I'd bypass the two handed operation for sure. I say again it is a bad idea.

Mr. HE:cool:

First as noted in previous posts the primary resistance to two handed is because the operator needs the other hand to hold the log in place as they begin to split. We have specifically designed our wedge so that when you put the log onto the beam you can slide it out and stick it on the wedge so you no longer have to hold it with the free hand. Second reason is that we positioned our safety lever where you would normally rest your hand if it is not holding the log therefore it quickly becomes a natural place for the other hand. It also is easy enough to operate the lever with your thumb so the hand actually does not even have to move. Once we tried this with both internal and external testing people we found that everyone was satisfied with this arrangement and it did not seem to create extra effort or slow down the splitting process.

Thank you for a willingness to engage posters.

You say external testers were "satisfied". How many of those were there, and how many of that lot had been using a Super Split? I ask because there's just no way I would be satisfied throwing in two extra operations before being able to split something. Further, try even holding a bigger round on the table with your forehead while both hands are occupied engaging this splitter. Or worse, trying to force a heavy or dense round or resplit against the wedge so it sticks. Do that hundreds and hundreds of times a day and it would become such a PITA I'd be calling 'Super Split Team', AKA Paul at Super Split, to order one of his by the end of the first day. Well, I would be ringing a friend to order one because he won't sell them to NZ.

Who in their right mind rests their opposite hand in a location across the opposite side of their bodies? It just doesn't make sense and doesn't seem natural. That hand is occupied (or very soon after will be) doing a number of support functions, so I just can't understand suggestions it's more comfortable to have it resting where the safety engagement feature is or would be.

Furthermore, you are building into the splitter far greater wear on the rack and/or pinion than needed. Those rubber buffers spit the rack forward when it fully retracts and rebounds just a little. At that moment, the rack is moving in the same direction as the pinion, thus engagement at that moment is smooth, silent and way less of an issue compared to a stationary rack meshing with a moving pinion. Granted, it's not always possible because it depends on the wood you are splitting or respliting, but it is possible much of the time and is a wonderful opportunity lost if users have to shag around firstly forcing wood against the wedge and then using their opposite hand to actuate the safety feature.

What does it take to circumvent this safety feature? As I noted in another post in your sponsors section, now is a great time to lay all your safety, legal, and warranty cards on the table as reasons why it shouldn't be modified, but as it stands, there will be people who would not consider one of these splitters unless it can be modded easily to be one-handed. If the engagement relies on the safety feature, can't be circumvented easily and doing so won't do something crazy like render the engagement hard to stick, then I really can't see anything compelling in this product offering, especially as it's more expensive than a proven vendor with decades of history to back their offering up, and in the context of failures of other new machines that tried to enter the same market and burning many an early adopter in the process.

Here are the things I see as an issue

The price at 3200 dollars that's literally three times the cost of a tried and true huskee 20 ton hydrolic

The double handed safety nonsense
No safer just slower and more annoying to steady rocking or oddball pieces most everyone would bypass it anyway

For the money it should be 100% American made with quality and a great warranty

Flotek, you can't compare the cost of kinetic splitter (cycle time 3-4 sec) to budget hydraulic splitter which cycle time is 13-16 sec. That isn't fair. This price is in the ballpark of a Super Splitter HD from what I have been told. However, you do have a valid point in the cost will be a deterrent to most home owners.

This brand has some features other kinetic splitters don't. Not necessarily earth shattering but convenient. But again it hasn't been out in the real world long enough for it's dependability to be judged. There have been other kinetic splitters which have not been able to pass the test of time when they came out.

Again the killer will be the 2 hand operation. May be this has to be an design change to prevent patent conflicts. I just feel if this splitter is to be an option in many of our opinions, it will need to be addressed. The need for speed/productivity while reducing demands on the body are key.

I'm not in the market for a SS, but I have to wonder how a brand new, unproven design, that's more frustrating to use, and more money then a top end Super Split is going to sell.

It would be different if they were priced closer to $1500. I could see plenty of people taking a chance on a new design then.

I know exactly where the two handed operation came from. Agri-Fab's corporate lawyers designed that feature as a litigation prevention device.

Must be form the same law firm as the DR RapidFire and the SpeeCo SpeedPro. Couldn't they simply put a half dozen warnings on every page of the owners manual as is done with chainsaws?

I'm not in the market for a SS, but I have to wonder how a brand new, unproven design, that's more frustrating to use, and more money then a top end Super Split is going to sell.

It would be different if they were priced closer to $1500. I could see plenty of people taking a chance on a new design then.
SpeeCo tried to come in under Super Split's price and failed miserably.

SpeeCo tried to come in under Super Split's price and failed miserably.

I like some of the features of the Agri-fab, road towable from the factory is worth a little more over the SS to me. I just can't abide the loss of production I'd see from two handed operation. Maybe the people who tried it were used to a hydro and so they didn't know what they were missing?

Even with a hydro I keep one hand on the side piece that is splitting till the wedge bits, some of them get tossed out of the splitter and it's really nice having a hand there to deflect from taking the hit in the jaw or knee.

Mr. HE:cool:

If I recall correctly, the SpeeCo safety button that required use of a second hand was fairly easy to bypass. Still, I'd prefer a one handed design from the factory that doesn't require me to void a warranty by modding.

Look at the vid again, that small forward safety switch looks like just a scrap wire or something to hold it open.

EDIT: small block of wood in the slot at an angle, or needle nose vice grips in the slot with the lever forward, lock. Lotta ways to do it.

They covered their assets with the suits OK, doesn't look too hard to make it usable within 60 seconds. It's like carbs and limiter caps, meh..doable.

Latest posts

Back