two big redwood trees in backyard

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xun yang

Reaction score
I am living in redwood city, ca. I have two big redwood trees in my back yard.
They are about 36" and 38" in diameter. They are too close to my home and
I got permit from city to remove the trees.
I attached a photo to the message.

I want to make use of the tree and turn it into lumber for future use.
My plan is to cut the top part of the tree into pieces and keep the lower part in one whole piece and cut it for lumber.
Anyone have any idea how much lumber can it produce and how much does it worth?
Anyone knows how much does it cost to cut it into planks?

Thanks!

Shaun

Attachments

• 11.jpg
    11.jpg
    83 KB · Views: 78
Hi Raintree,

Thanks for your kind reply!
My rough estimation is the two trees can produce 2500 board feet of lumber, with the price of $6 per board feet. The lumber is worth $15000.
Some guy offered to cut it into lumber at the price of $1500. I can't count in the tree cutting cost, since I have to remove it anyway.
I think still it is worthwhile to use the lumber instead of throw it to dump yard.

Thanks!
Shaun

First, I think your estimate of 25 Hundred BF is low. Second, valued @ 15K is way high. Big difference of value of wood on the stump vs. boards on the rack in lumber yard. We do removals, custom sawing & kiln drying of clients trees. Milling is done off-site, we truck (drop off & pick up). The short story is you pay a premium for your own wood.

Hi Raintree,

Thanks for your feedback! So the problem comes to evaluate the grade and price of the redwood tree.
$6 per square foot is the lowest price that I got from the buffalo lumber website.
I need to evaluate the grade of the lumber can figure how can it be used.
It is not easy for 2 tree to grow that big. I will do it even I can break even.
A guy who gave me the $1500 quote has a mobile miller and can mill the lumber on site and take the lumber to my home.
Thanks!

Shaun

Back