Two-Stroke Oils: All the Same?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Absolutely Sean , testing variables with or without a Schrader valve , type of test conditions etc .
I was thinking more along the lines of combustion chamber size, carbon build up, ring wear ect. But yes. Test equipment and testing conditions defintaly make a difference too.

I was thinking more along the lines of combustion chamber size, carbon build up, ring wear ect. But yes. Test equipment and testing conditions defintaly make a difference too.
Well that's quite correct . That is why i initially mentioned stock saws , where the variables are less with higher squish area & lower relative compression ratios . I was also assuming engines in "good state of repair " , apples to apples as much as possible . Secondarily is the accuracy of the testing equipment & the testing protocols as mentioned . I have witnessed testing results all over the board , with very inaccurate readings due to improper testing equipment . However , the contributing factors you have highlighted most definately affect the testing readings accordingly lol. ;)

I got a husqvarna 550xp starts great runs great and cuts perfect, like a new saw.... yet after testing with three gauges its showing cold, wait for it....
115psi. Work that out because I'm mystified, piston, ring and cylinder all perfect.

I got a husqvarna 550xp starts great runs great and cuts perfect, like a new saw.... yet after testing with three gauges its showing cold, wait for it....
115psi. Work that out because I'm mystified, piston, ring and cylinder all perfect.
If you don't have a schrader valve or too long of a hose , etc readings will be inconsistant . Also i run my saw 1st to warm the bore & piston & lube the rings prior to 5 good pulls with tester . I have seen + or - 5 # difference routinely with various guages . I have seen many saws hardly want to start at 100 # or less . I would assume your saw is probably much higher that 115 # .

What are you guys running for compression testers? I have a harbor freight one and a Amazon one, burn with about 1’ hoses and they always read way lower then that I would like to see.

I too have the Mityvac kit for automotive.
For Automobile / Diesel application I have a Lang Industries tester . It is a multi tester for compression / vacuum & refrigeration & cooling testing requirements . The Mityvac though is a very fine unit for small engine usage with a great price point .

I believe the 550 uses the smaller spark plug? If so, you’ll have an adapter that screws onto the end of your compression tester to fit the smaller spark plug hole. Most of these adapters don’t have a Schrader valve in the end of it and you will get low readings with them

Back