Two-Stroke Oils: All the Same?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Also wanted to update you guys with Amsoil Saber 32:1. The first time I tested it I did 20 mins loaded by about 1000 rpm below max rpm - no longer 4 stroking, but I suppose, not really what an engine would see under use. I got a heap of carbon. View attachment 1026277

So, I cleaned the piston and I re did the test, this time I did 60 seconds loaded by 3000 rpm, then 20 seconds idle - a bit more close to real world use. I repeated this for 20 minutes. This is exactly what I had hoped to see! I won’t run it at 32:1 still though, I’ll probably go to 40:1.View attachment 1026278View attachment 1026279View attachment 1026280View attachment 1026281View attachment 1026282View attachment 1026283
Your results do not supprise me. To make an engine live at that ratio requires a thicker base oil, and mettalic AW additives. That head shows mettalic ash buildup.

In what aspect? Compression tests, or the "test" Tom did with the mix ratios?
All of the above.
Measuring static compression is pretty much useless. What is useful is to know the compression ratio. After all you can have a 180psi static compression, but have a low compression ratio.
Oil testing is a joke because there is no control of variable and there are tons of variables.

All of the above.
Measuring static compression is pretty much useless. What is useful is to know the compression ratio. After all you can have a 180psi static compression, but have a low compression ratio.
Oil testing is a joke because there is no control of variable and there are tons of
We're just gonna have to disagree about a compression test vs ratio. They tell you different things, one in of its self isn't anymore or less important. You can have a 30 to 1 ratio and still only have 50psi of compression.
The oil bit, yeah I can agree with that.

We're just gonna have to disagree about a compression test vs ratio. They tell you different things, one in of its self isn't anymore or less important. You can have a 30 to 1 ratio and still only have 50psi of compression.
The oil bit, yeah I can agree with that.
Static is somewhat useful for gauging engine wear, bit even then it a pretty coarse measure and often engines have good static compression until they dont.

Lots of negative replies abut the Stihl Ultra. Been using it for quite a while in all my 2 stroke equipment with no problems. I am out of oil so I just ordered some Echo Red Armor because of the good reviews. reviews. What is the biggest problem with the Stihl Ultra??

Lots of negative replies abut the Stihl Ultra. Been using it for quite a while in all my 2 stroke equipment with no problems. I am out of oil so I just ordered some Echo Red Armor because of the good reviews. reviews. What is the biggest problem with the Stihl Ultra??
It leaves carbon and doesn’t leave much oil in the bottom end. Red Armor is the opposite

It's an oil formulated to help with issues in a four cycle 4 mix motor. It's not optimized for a 2cycle chain saw. And it's even worse in a computer controlled carb strato charged saw.

been using it in my 036 Pro since 2003. Works for me

Folks seem to forget that there are air-cooled dirtbikes and snowmobiles. ;)

I used Pennzoil snowmobile oil in all my 2-strokes for about 15 years, never had an issue.

Back