Two-Stroke Oils: All the Same?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Toluene is also known as methyl benzene and it has the same carcinogen rating as cumene. That is to say unknown, but not from not being tested. What that means is if they performed some sort of slanted test and ridiculous exposure levels they might find some correlation in the increased incidence of cancer.
Benzene on the other hand is pretty apparent in its carcinogenic properties.
As the custodian or "Constructor" of the Facility I met weekly with the Plants Environmental Technicians & the Ministry Inspector during Oil Campaigns . Otherwise the Certificate of Approval only required annual ground water testing . Actually with all the various types of Oils stored which included Heavy C , Diesel & Sulphanated waste oils , ground water contamination was the least Environmental hazard in my opinion lol. :blob2:

As the custodian or "Constructor" of the Facility I met weekly with the Plants Environmental Technicians & the Ministry Inspector during Oil Campaigns . Otherwise the Certificate of Approval only required annual ground water testing . Actually with all the various types of Oils stored which included Heavy C , Diesel & Sulphanated waste oils , ground water contamination was the least Environmental hazard in my opinion lol. :blob2:
I mean groundwater contamination is only an issue if you have leaky tanks or poor handling practices.

I have experience with Powerblend in a Echo 590 Timber Wolf model for 3 yrs . Very good results . The Red Armor is a learning experience for me . Taking the advice of the forum experienced oil guru's accordingly & a little research myself !
I would try it at 50:1 honestly and I never say that.... this assumes saw use.
I ran it at 32:1 and 40:1. I liked 40:1 better. The pic was actually 40:1.
The amount of residual still baffles me as to why to be honest.
Also keep in mind my observations are based on running it mostly around 8000' of elevation.

I mean groundwater contamination is only an issue if you have leaky tanks or poor handling practices.
Due diligence , you talking ( 7 ) 1.5 & 3 million gallon (" rivited bulk head tanks " ) assemblies all which were heated for freeze protection via 100 # saturated process steam immersion platen pressed stainless steel steam heaters or immersion tube shell heat exchangers . Along with auto controlled & monitored free board & temperature levels for each tank . Each tank was Non destructive tested structurally each yr & drained & visible inspected & repaired every 5 yrs accordingly . Spillage or yeah , remedial clean ups were common place !

I would try it at 50:1 honestly and I never say that.... this assumes saw use.
I ran it at 32:1 and 40:1. I liked 40:1 better. The pic was actually 40:1.
The amount of residual still baffles me as to why to be honest.
Also keep in mind my observations are based on running it mostly around 8000' of elevation.
8000' very rich ambient mixture , did you need rejetting ? or with the limiters removed could you acquire a reasonable tune . P.S. Yes 40 :1 is what I mostly use on any new oil within a trial & go from there proactively . Thanks again Ben ! P.S. I think the oil polar adhesive properties as you suggest could be the contributing factor of the evident residue & puddling brother ;)

Due diligence , you talking ( 7 ) 1.5 & 3 million gallon (" rivited bulk head tanks " ) assemblies all which were heated for freeze protection via 100 # saturated process steam immersion platen pressed stainless steel steam heaters or immersion tube shell heat exchangers . Along with auto controlled & monitored free board & temperature levels for each tank . Each tank was Non destructive tested structurally each yr & drained & visible inspected & repaired every 5 yrs accordingly . Spillage or yeah , remedial clean ups were common place !
The power plant I worked at had a 2million gallon above ground tank. Also had smaller chemical tanks housed indoors in their own containment basins.
The refinery I work at now has many tanks and the are all huge. Floating roof style and heated by steam as you describe.

8000' very rich ambient mixture , did you need rejetting ? or with the limiters removed could you acquire a reasonable tune . P.S. Yes 40 :1 is what I mostly use on any new oil within a trial & go from there proactively . Thanks again Ben ! P.S. I think the oil polar adhesive properties as you suggest could be the contributing factor of the evident residue & puddling brother ;)
Occasionally I also cut around 3500 feet but the wood is Ponderosa Pine, which isn't great for firewood. As a result most of what I do is at higher elevation for Douglas Fir.
If you dial in the saw at 3500 there is a big difference in tuning. Not just the elevation, but the temp changes with elevation greatly as well.
Which is one reason I really like this 400C. No farming around with tuning.

The only thing that requires a reset for 8k is my generator, which runs extremely rich at elevation unless it's real cold. A few years ago I bit the bullet and got a high elevation kit for it. It still runs exceptably at 3500 where I live.

Toluene is also known as methyl benzene and it has the same carcinogen rating as cumene. That is to say unknown, but not from not being tested. What that means is if they performed some sort of slanted test and ridiculous exposure levels they might find some correlation in the increased incidence of cancer.
Benzene on the other hand is pretty apparent in its carcinogenic properties.
Actually from my short Industrial tenure in Industrial Hygiene Ben , "suspected" is where the correlation of medical testing has not establish evidence of a incident of established disease or severe health risks via a short term exposure limit or time weight exposure value of any biological agent or chemical , either within a human or a test lab rat . Specifically as either as recognized Lethal Concentration or Lethal Dosage . I remember well where allowable air borne friable concentrations of Asbestos (Designated Substance) changed by the type of Asbestos in question . Because the fibre structure varied. Same with Mercury due to ambient temperature changes & it's effect on the rate of evaporation involved . Anyhow , I even hate running leaded gas today in any hand held for obvious reasons , actually refuse to lol

The power plant I worked at had a 2million gallon above ground tank. Also had smaller chemical tanks housed indoors in their own containment basins.
The refinery I work at now has many tanks and the are all huge. Floating roof style and heated by steam as you describe.
Floating roofs cool , any applicable pics available ? Yeah , our Tank Farm Facility had numerous auto loading pump houses & automated & manned daily for any off loading through cargo lines to a ship or transports or railcar. The complex was roughly the size of 2 Canadian football fields .

I maintain the oil fired boiler at the farm i work with since all the buildings are heated with low pressure steam.
#4 fuel oil fires the furnace sometimes #5 is used but requires constantly being heated to vaporize properly in the boilers fire box.

Occasionally I also cut around 3500 feet but the wood is Ponderosa Pine, which isn't great for firewood. As a result most of what I do is at higher elevation for Douglas Fir.
If you dial in the saw at 3500 there is a big difference in tuning. Not just the elevation, but the temp changes with elevation greatly as well.
Which is one reason I really like this 400C. No farming around with tuning.

The only thing that requires a reset for 8k is my generator, which runs extremely rich at elevation unless it's real cold. A few years ago I bit the bullet and got a high elevation kit for it. It still runs exceptably at 3500 where I live.
Most definately , barometric pressure & associated relative temperature swings , will effect the tune dramatically . Yeah , I imagine your 400 would handle that very effectively . I remember when altitude compensating carbs came out on my 1st Honda 250 XL Enduro in 1982 . Actually my CV Carb on my Dyna glide is in principal just a double acting balanced pressure mechanical control valve ( vacuum actuated to enable gas flow) similar in what you would see within a steam pressure control valve . Only the mediums density of flow changes accordingly , relative to the delta T of steam temp & pressure vs fix orifice flow dynamics & atmospheric pressure drop through orifice within the steam valve brother . All defined by what pressure motive force is applied (14.5) atmospheric in this example up North here a little less up on your mountain cutting scenerio accordingly lol. ;)

Bunker C or Heavy #4 ,5 & 6 often require steam injection & natural gas enrichment to enable adequate flow ( viscosity) & enhancement to ambient fuel to air combustion ratio's . All our 6 Boilers in our Industrial boiler house were natural gas fired then converted & operated on refined Bunker C once online . Actually , all our tank farm cargo 6" & 8 " lines were steam traced & insulated accordingly to allow & maintain adequate temperatures for proper pumping efficiency from the heated Bulk tanks .

Actually from my tenure in Industrial Hygiene Ben , "suspected" is where the correlation of medical testing has not establish evidence of a incident of established disease via a short term exposure limit or time weight exposure value of any biological agent or chemical , either within a human or a test lab rat . Specifically as either as recognized Lethal Concentration or Lethal Dosage . I remember well where allowable air borne friable concentrations of Asbestos (Designated Substance) changed by the type of Asbestos in question . Because the fibre structure varied. Same with Mercury due to ambient temperature changes & it's effect on the rate of evaporation . involved . Anyhow , I even hate running leaded gas today in any hand held for obvious reasons , actually refuse to lol
I hear you on leaded gas. I never ran it in hand held anything, but won't run it in any motor now. That banshee.I.mentioned earlier was the last thing I used it in several years ago. Rumor has it 100LL is about to start being phased out. The replacement is something like 95 octane and lead free. If course this will take decades in practice.
I also will not shoot any game I intend to eat with lead and copper bullets.

Bunker C or Heavy #4 ,5 & 6 often require steam injection & Natural gas enrichment to enable adequate flow ( viscosity) & enhancement to ambient fuel to air combustion ratio's . All our 6 Boilers in our Industrial boiler house were Natural gas fired then converted & operated on refined Bunker C once online .
Our crude isn't much lighter than Bunker C and only then because it's been diluted. Alberta tar sands oil.
Our clarified oil or main column bottoms is the same viscosity or heavier than Bunker C and is often sold as residual fuel on the west coast.
We have one boiler that still uses a steam injection burner, but we run it on plant fuel, which is refinery streams that can't be marketed and is slightly heavier than Nat gas. It's a bit of a trick lighting that bastard off in the winter as the steam tends to condense and it gives you a blast of condensate which knocks the burner out right after light off. As a result we block it in at the burner and blow the line out/ heat it up for a half Our prior to light off. Some times it works...some times it doesnt.

Bunker C or Heavy #4 ,5 & 6 often require steam injection & Natural gas enrichment to enable adequate flow ( viscosity) & enhancement to ambient fuel to air combustion ratio's . All our 6 Boilers in our Industrial boiler house were Natural gas fired then converted & operated on refined Bunker C once online . Actually all our tank farm cargo 6" & 8 " lines were steam traced & insulated according to allow & maintain adequate temperatures for proper pumping efficiency from the heated Bulk tanks .
We use steam heat because it much safer than natural gas / propane in the barns and shop.

I hear you on leaded gas. I never ran it in hand held anything, but won't run it in any motor now. That banshee.I.mentioned earlier was the last thing I used it in several years ago. Rumor has it 100LL is about to start being phased out. The replacement is something like 95 octane and lead free. If course this will take decades in practice.
I also will not shoot any game I intend to eat with lead and copper bullets.
I'am with you on that bullet composition . Mustang Mike just converted me last year to Barnes TTSX all copper for my .378 Weatherby . I had previously been a avid Hornaday partition user for Moose , Deer , Elk & Caribou . Unfortunately I have to add octane boost on my Dyna because of it's forged Manley Pistons & new Andrews Cam , but that's another story !

Our crude isn't much lighter than Bunker C and only then because it's been diluted. Alberta tar sands oil.
Our clarified oil or main column bottoms is the same viscosity or heavier than Bunker C and is often sold as residual fuel on the west coast.
We have one boiler that still uses a steam injection burner, but we run it on plant fuel, which is refinery streams that can't be marketed and is slightly heavier than Nat gas. It's a bit of a trick lighting that bastard off in the winter as the steam tends to condense and it gives you a blast of condensate which knocks the burner out right after light off. As a result we block it in at the burner and blow the line out/ heat it up for a half Our prior to light off. Some times it works...some times it doesnt.
Yeah , we used Blast fce gas as our Byproduct fuel of choice slightly lighter density than air in warmer ambient temps . Cokeoven gas , another fossel fuel byproduct , was much heavier density & lower btu value for an effective secondary boiler fuel . Also dirty , causing the same burner flameout conditions you are encountering Ben when you reach the dew point brother . Therefore Natural gas consumption levels increased during the winter months accordingly . What btu valve is recognized on a good dry day with your plant fuel byproduct ?

With the presence of so much dust from stored grain in the barn with a open flame heating source is a disaster waiting to happen because grain dust explosions are destructive and highly dangerous.
I was going to say , I have personally witnessed spontaneous combustion from wet straw being stored improperly on more than one occasion ! :blob2:

Latest posts

Back