Two-Stroke Oils: All the Same?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Stihl says 50:1. Amsoil advertises 100:1 for theirs is compatible with Stihl’s 50:1. Is that accurate?

“Delivers improved cleanliness mixed at the SABER Ratio™ of 100:1 compared to other oils mixed at a conventional 50:1 ratio.”
Keep in mind all that stuff is forced by the EPA. Common sense would tell you 100 to one is no good.

I saw documentation on a 300 hour strimmer test they conducted against Echo. There was no load on the engines, the test was poorly conducted and biased. They ran 100:1 echo at 50:1. Of course, no load and a lot of part throttle will mean more carbon production on a higher oil ratio engine. I love Saber, I don’t like Amsoils marketing or as a company.

Just like Milwaukee, I love my Milwaukee m12 tools, I hate Milwaukees marketing, fake, biased tests and the company itself for it.

Example of Milwaukee, you tell me if this is fair?

Sounded pig rich too.

I am not aware of any evidence that Amsoil puts out hype.
Then you have not been following & using their products for over 10 yrs as I have , lots of speculative & unsubstantiate info unfortunately . I have no problem with their product or pricing , I purchase quality premium grade oil for between $12 to $14 a quart CDN . That's more than a fair price & it's shipped to my door within 2 days of the order , sometimes over nite . I never believed the scams oil hype either . It's good oil , I will continue to use it , if someone doesn't like the product , fine more for me . However , to be honest their over the top misleading advertising is counter productive in my opinion !

Stihl says 50:1. Amsoil advertises 100:1 for theirs is compatible with Stihl’s 50:1. Is that accurate?

“Delivers improved cleanliness mixed at the SABER Ratio™ of 100:1 compared to other oils mixed at a conventional 50:1 ratio.”

If you wouldn't drain 3 out of the 5 quarts of oil out of your car and go drive it, you probably shouldn't run 100:1 either.

Stick to 40:1

Since this is an oil thread:

The relevant parts I want to point to in this video occur at the 4:50 and 6:00 minutes marks where an un-combusted gas detector is used and apply this to comments about higher oil content causing saws to run leaner. As this video points out, some 2 cycle oils combust less than others. The longer the hydrocarbon chain, the more oxygen it takes to fully combust it, but if it isn't fully combusted it will result in smoke and higher levels on un-combusted gas emissions and possibly a lean run condition. If the 2-cycle oil is combusted, it gets burned just like the primary fuel component which should mitigate the lean run situation. The true test would be to measure the un-combusted gas levels using a 40:1 mix and a 50:1 mix without adjusting the jets.

What the Stihl Dealer said, isn't necessarily wrong, he just didn't explain it very well. 40 to 1 has less fuel per CC than 50 to 1. Right?
If the motor is designed to run on 50 to 1, and, If you don't tweak the carb, when you change to 40 to 1, then yes, theoretically, it's be lean, with the extra lubricant not being useful.
At 40 to 1, it's leaner, it's hotter combustion, but with more oil in the mix. What kind of oil? Wally World cheapest on the shelf? Premium Synthetic? A lot of variables.
But yes, I could see where they'd say that 40 to 1 runs lean.
IMHO, a Premium Synthetic is much more forgiving as to mix ratios.

I love Saber , however if you seriously believe that hype , I have some property for sale you may be interested in ? However , to be serious clean with 50% less oil may be accurate , however protection to bearings has nothing to do with cleanliness . As far as Stihl , if its Stihl Ultra vs Saber no comparison within efficiency of protection or being clean burning . Ultra has to be the dirtiest oil I have ever witnessed with a saw , that's including some castor's brother. !
I agree. I also wouldn't assume it's any cleaner as most of the deposits come from the gasoline itself. That and with less oil you have less detergents.

What the Stihl Dealer said, isn't necessarily wrong, he just didn't explain it very well. 40 to 1 has less fuel per CC than 50 to 1. Right?
If the motor is designed to run on 50 to 1, and, If you don't tweak the carb, when you change to 40 to 1, then yes, theoretically, it's be lean, with the extra lubricant not being useful.
At 40 to 1, it's leaner, it's hotter combustion, but with more oil in the mix. What kind of oil? Wally World cheapest on the shelf? Premium Synthetic? A lot of variables.
But he implied it was a total no go no mention of jetting change.

A simple 20 degree swing in temp has a greater effect on air to fuel ratio than a small change in oil ratio.

Exactly.. although much maligned by saw guys the system is dead simple and of great benefit. The average guy can't tune a carb to save his life.
I like it ,when its working right and it usually does. I remember when I was first learning to tune a carb it was like crazy. Of course it didn't help that the carb was bad! Who knew everything at the get go?

I like it ,when its working right and it usually does. I remember when I was first learning to tune a carb it was like crazy. Of course it didn't help that the carb was bad! Who knew everything at the get go?
Maybe I'm an optimist, but I believe the teaching problems seen in the early Mtronic saws have been worked out. My 400C has been flawless, but I don't out enough time on a saw now to really say for certain.
I would also point out that alot of the problems seem with early Mtronic and Autotune saws where actually heat related issues made worse by strato charging. MT and AT took the blame for that.

It does cause a lean condition fuel wise , due to the oil replacing the fuel within the same state of tune . That's why you retune the saw to the additional oil within the ratio. Then its a win , win . More oil for the bottom end & additional fuel for cooling & combined , more ring sealing & potential power !

It does

Causes a lean condition fuel wise , due to the oil replacing the fuel within the same state of tune . That's why you retune the saw to the additional oil within the ratio. Then its a win , win . More oil for the bottom end & additional fuel for cooling & combined , more ring sealing & potential power !
And there's your dinner!

I agree. I also wouldn't assume it's any cleaner as most of the deposits come from the gasoline itself. That and with less oil you have less detergents.
In my applications its always been very clean Ben . But then I have tuned for yrs & use very little ethanol content if any when possible within my saws , when I must its treated with a premium fuel conditioner . P.S. your absolutely correct within ethanol fuel causing numerous deposit & corrosion issues within small engine usage . Combined with improper oil selection it can become catastrophic . I have seen enough spark arrestor issues within trimmers & blowers due basically from diarea fuel , then the same due to diarea oil which just compounds the issue , especially within low load & heat applications !

Back