Two-Stroke Oils: All the Same?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
All conspiracy theories aside..
A guy that can't tune a saw now wants to make judgements on the efficacy of using an oil which neither the maker or the saw company recommends. I bet you are really on to something...NOT!
I was tuning small engines before you were born. All that aside your personal shots show your intent. We told you you were right so move on boss. If your not pacified you attack people. Great game plan. Can you show me how to do ports next?

Go read your paper.
Guys like you don't exist in the world beyond a book. You live behind a key board and it shows. Go do something interesting or just stop reading about it and actual go do something.

Edit: How many engines has BWalker built, measured, ran, measured again and seen actual wear?... =0
Tell me I'm wrong Mr. Walker

I've been using Stihl Ultra since it first came out when I got my first FS91 4-Mix. And that would had to have been sometime around 2003-04 I think. No problems with anything running it... 2 FS-91's, an old FS80, the wifey's little Stihl M55 tiller, and my 3 Husky saws. Never plugged a screen, fouled a plug, or anything like that. I do see just a trace of oil making it out of the mufflers I think. You know what that tells me? It's working when it goes in, and it's still working when it goes out.

And, I think it smells good.

The only thing I don't like about Ultra is how much the price has gone up.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.
Unburnt oil in the exhaust outlet tells you the engine is too rich. The exhaust should be dry as long as the motor is properly loaded and tuned.

Idk it’s like when it comes down to it you’ll have a moment at the store or out cutting where u let the whole 40:1 or echo brand only thing go and just get what u can to cut. You walk in to the woods with me….spill or loose your gear…you’ll prolly end up running whatever mix I had
Yeah, you don’t have to worry about me pushing anything. I don’t give two shíts what oil someone else uses. But I’ll try to help them until I realize they don’t want it

I was tuning small engines before you were born. All that aside your personal shots show your intent. We told you you were right so move on boss. If your not pacified you attack people. Great game plan. Can you show me how to do ports next?

Go read your paper.
Guys like you don't exist in the world beyond a book. You live behind a key board and it shows. Go do something interesting or just stop reading about it and actual go do something.

Edit: How many engines has BWalker built, measured, ran, measured again and seen actual wear?... =0
Tell me I'm wrong Mr. Walker
Maybe you have, maybe you haven't . Either way expiereance only means something if it was gained by doing it right.
FWIW I never attacked you in any way.
And you very wrong per usual and not just chainsaws...

Another very good 2T mix oil that we have used was one of the Ipone line,2000R or someting like that ( I think it was rated JASO-FD ) and had a really evident strawberry smell.
Just not so easy to find .

Another very good 2T mix oil that we have used was one of the Ipone line,2000R or someting like that ( I think it was rated JASO-FD ) and had a really evident strawberry smell.
Just not so easy to find .
Had 1L of it.....hated that """strawberry""" smell :D After a while it smelled more like a burnt plastic.....

Unburnt oil in the exhaust outlet tells you the engine is too rich. The exhaust should be dry as long as the motor is properly loaded and tuned.
Maybe with lesser inferior oils. Unburnt oil in the exhaust tells me that is extremely heat resistant and doesn't burn away and stop doing its job. It is lubricating moving parts from the time it enters the engine until the time it leaves the engine. And it's just a little bit. It's not slobbering down the muffler or anything like that. You can just see a little trace of it, if you're looking. My engines are not tuned rich. They are tuned just to just a few RPM's rich of peak rpm no load, the engine will 4 stroke when revved no load, but they go into a beautiful 2 stroke as soon as they're in the cut. Just the way they should be. 2004 until now, no problems. My 372 has had nothing but Ultra in it. My 395 that I bought used was on Ultra, because it smelled just like it when I got it...

Maybe with lesser inferior oils. Unburnt oil in the exhaust tells me that is extremely heat resistant and doesn't burn away and stop doing its job. It is lubricating moving parts from the time it enters the engine until the time it leaves the engine. And it's just a little bit. It's not slobbering down the muffler or anything like that. You can just see a little trace of it, if you're looking. My engines are not tuned rich. They are tuned just to just a few RPM's rich of peak rpm no load, the engine will 4 stroke when revved no load, but they go into a beautiful 2 stroke as soon as they're in the cut. Just the way they should be. 2004 until now, no problems. My 372 has had nothing but Ultra in it. My 395 that I bought used was on Ultra, because it smelled just like it when I got it...

Why would you assume an oil that combusts is inferior? It's actually not and for a variety of reasons. If resistance to combustion was a good thing we would all be running ultra high temp oils, yet there are very few out there.
In regards to Ultra. So long as you like paying a premium for a low quality and low.performance oil have at it. You do you.
Even with a high end point oil like Motul 800 a saw can be tuned to burn it just fine and I know because I've done it. Castor is a different story, however.

LOL, as with all oil threads, I'm not going to change your mind, and you're not going to change mine, nor will you change many others. You have your opinion, based on your anecodotal observations, and I've got mine based on my anecdotal observations. Neither of us have any more rock solid scientifically verifiable and repeatable lab grade evidence to support either one of our positions than does the other... So ultimately we go with what makes us feel good.

Just like in all oil threads :crazy:

LOL, as with all oil threads, I'm not going to change your mind, and you're not going to change mine, nor will you change many others. You have your opinion, based on your anecodotal observations, and I've got mine based on my anecdotal observations. Neither of us have any more rock solid scientifically verifiable and repeatable lab grade evidence to support either one of our positions than does the other... So ultimately we go with what makes us feel good.

Just like in all oil threads :crazy:
That's where you are wrong. What I said is not opinion. What you said is opinion, which is the direct opposite of where two cycle oils have moved over the years.

That's where you are wrong. What I said is not opinion. What you said is opinion, which is the direct opposite of where two cycle oils have moved over the years.
Then post your evidence. Documented scientific proof. From independendent research laboratories. Put the papers on here that back you up. Prove it. Put your money where your keyboard is.

Then post your evidence. Documented scientific proof. From independendent research laboratories. Put the papers on here that back you up. Prove it. Put your money where your keyboard is.
For starters you will find that Stihl Ultra is a Jaso FB oil. The highest quality air cooled oils available are Jaso FD. JASO tests these oils in actual test engines BTW. How's that for a start?

Latest posts

Back