Two-Stroke Oils: All the Same?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Something to think about regarding the common misconception that "more oil is better".

Anything in gasoline that is NOT gasoline, displaces gasoline. So in other words, the more oil you add, the LEANER you are making the AIR / FUEL mixture. Many a machine has seized from TOO MUCH oil for this reason. Leaner = HEAT, and preignition or detonation ... or BOTH.
thats why knowing how to tune an engine is important. Depending on the oil, it can also contribute to combustion power making the chances of lre ignition lower. Other oils, not so much.

thats why knowing how to tune an engine is important. Depending on the oil, it can also contribute to combustion power making the chances of lre ignition lower. Other oils, not so much.
What's perplexing to me is guys will totally obsess about oil ratio changes affecting air to fuel ratio, yet never touch their carbs when temps change. When I logged I often had to tune the saw in the morning and then again in the afternoon because the temp changed by 40 degrees. You could feel this in the cut.
Which is why Autotune and Mtronic are a good thing..

What's perplexing to me is guys will totally obsess about oil ratio changes affecting air to fuel ratio, yet never touch their carbs when temps change. When I logged I often had to tune the saw in the morning and then again in the afternoon because the temp changed by 40 degrees. You could feel this in the cut.
Yep, sur le makes one wonder.

I've read for a long time that Ultra would easily meet FD if Stihl would pay to get it certified.

You've made a claim, now it's your turn to post your evidence. Documented scientific proof. From independent research laboratories. Put the papers on here that back you up. Prove it. Put your money where your keyboard is.

Exactly…like we all can need out but to really be about it takes awareness and constant adjusting, weather conditions parts Condition , systems clean or dirty ya know…I don’t ever see measuring cups and winter fuels and carb tuning screw drivers on anyone’s edc 😅

I can't recall as I never tracked that. It also doesn't matter. You tune the saw until it's right and with time you can feel this in the cut.
Plus they are all different. Some jets have larger holes and coarser threads on the needle, and some have finer threads with a very small orifice

Take longer to pull out the card and measure the temp and all that, and look at how many turns that means, than it does to just turn the screw until it sounds right. If you don't know how it's supposed to sound, you won't know when you have to retune anyway.
Yes. The only thing I would say is I go by feel more than sound. Making a saw four stroke out of the cut and then clean up in the cut IME is too rich for peak performance. If you happen to get it to lean this way it's pretty apparent as you can feel the loss of torque.

You've made a claim, now it's your turn to post your evidence. Documented scientific proof. From independent research laboratories. Put the papers on here that back you up. Prove it. Put your money where your keyboard is.

It's not technically possible...
And... still waiting for yours as well. Probably not technically possible as well, I suspect. This is a waste of time, and your ego is bigger than mine. So you can sit there and think you've won. How's that?

Still sticking with Ultra anyway. If it ain't broke don't fix it. The engineers at Stihl are way ahead of you anyway.

Latest posts

Back