Two-Stroke Oils: All the Same?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've read some more of your posts. You're here for a fight, not to learn. Not interested.
Well, you would be wrong.
Just trying to get at the meat of things.
Main conclusion start use the Red Armor stuff.
Second conclusion learn how to "tune by ear", certainly, without YOUR help! So, thanks just the same.

“4 stroking” is that gargling drowning growl sound saws make. You have too much fuel in the fuel/air mix, and you end up not combusting 100% and every fey cycles it skips. That means you have extra fuel IMMEDIATELY available in the cylinder when you add air by hitting the throttle.

The “cleared up” sound is exactly what it sounds like. It changes from sounding like it’s a bit ticked at not being cutting wood to a pure, enthusiastic roar.
Wow, thanks. I have a clue now. It seems best to start fiddling with my carb screw and listen for this difference. I have never done that; just turn it out the 1.5 turns per Stihl's book. Mainly because I have never been trained in the "art" of tuning like most of you here have been. . . thank you.

Ha yeah I was not specifically trying to pick a fight with ya or anything, and this topic is sooooo beaten to death, there's no valid argument against using whatever oil is formulated specifically for whatever you're using.
In fact, many newer snowmobile oils have some additives removed to avoid gumming up variable exhaust valves, so a true air-cooled chainsaw oil is going to have additional additives anyway, that's why I use Echo oil these days.
A modern snowmobile oil will be Jaso FC/FD.

I used RA before they switched the formula in a $700 new Echo 280 PAS to the cheapened version they sell now for the same high price. Was good back then. VP does the same thing RA did for way less money.
Some folks just like to stuff others pockets IMHO, I prefer to protect my equipment and keep the money in mine. :cheers:

https://vpracingfuels.com/product/2-cycle-full-synthetic-oil/?c=245

View attachment 1028826
View attachment 1028828
Why do you assume they cheapened the formula?

OK, I do all that-- except the most important part. I am now showing my ignorance, be gentle.
So, can you please detail these important points!

"tune until it 4 strokes out of the cut."
AND
"Clears up in the cut" ?? huh?

by the way I have a tach, at least! never used it.
Basically , and no offence intended . To keep it simple , you want the saw borderline rich within fuel to air ratio or "tuned a little fat" so that with no load it will blubber a little (4 stroke) . Once into the cut it will clean out & pick up some rpm . The old school Methology was to 1st bring the saw up to operating temperature , then turn the high speed jet in or out to achieve maximum rpm @ WOT & then back it off a 1/4 turn . This would provide the maximum (lean) rpm initially . But would then provide a little more fuel to protect from overheating . It was sketchy at best but a starting point . Anyhow , also you had to set the low speed to allow easy starting and acceleration or throttle up without hesitation . Then finally a proper idle speed allowing for as easy cold start , without too high a idle once warm . Hope this helps brother , much easier to indicate in person than describe ! lol .

A modern snowmobile oil will be Jaso FC/FD.
I still use Klotz Techniplate in my old Polaris 700 triple, no idea what it's rated, but after 26 years my engine is still going strong.
I have a few bottles of newer Cat and Skidoo synthetic oil laying around, I'll have to check the bottles.

Why do you assume they cheapened the formula?
Read up on it. I dont assume, they did.

I just refuse to pay more for less.

Guys in the know that used the old mentioned even yesterday they see the difference in the new and switched oils.

Can even tell the difference by bottles when they switched to the new labels used today.

The newer cheapen formula they went to in new bottle at bottom.

raold.jpg
ranew.jpg

Wow, thanks. I have a clue now. It seems best to start fiddling with my carb screw and listen for this difference. I have never done that; just turn it out the 1.5 turns per Stihl's book. Mainly because I have never been trained in the "art" of tuning like most of you here have been. . . thank you.
Somewhere, there's a video on tuning. I know I saved it, but have no idea where.

I'll be searching.

Read up on it. I dont assume, they did.

I just refuse to pay more for less.

Guys in the know that used the old mentioned even yesterday they see the difference in the new and switched oils.

Can even tell the difference by bottles when they switched to the new labels used today.

The newer cheapen formula they went to in new bottle at bottom.

View attachment 1028971
View attachment 1028973
My four I gallon bottles are the 1st bottle label , that's the Original Blend ?

My four I gallon bottles are the 1st bottle label , that's the Original Blend ?
All black background label was the original formula in past years back.

Been so many years now who knows what they have on them now. They could revert back to a black label who knows.

I just dont fall for the bait switch they did to folks years back and still charge the high price. Like others I went to another FD oil.

vp2.jpgvp22.jpg

I plan to get a big container of oil for my 2-stroke engines. Does it really matter which brand I get? More importantly, are there brands I should avoid?
I use a standard mineral oil in all my saws when not using Aspen, but I do also own a Suzuki GT750A. Not tried any decent synthetic oil in a saw with my own mix but I can say without doubt that the Suzuki runs a lot better on synthetic. But, as ever, quality is key. Don't buy the cheapest and I personally stick to brands that have a reputation to lose. Except Stihl. Their oil is surprisingly not very good--even their pre mix is a bit iffy.

Latest posts

Back