Two-Stroke Oils: All the Same?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
LOL.. I used to run a lot of Nitro powered RC toys.. Yup!! had to re-tune when it got hotter in the afternoon. Hot air has a lot less density. Not sure if an RC carb is the same a saw carb.. RC carb? When you change the main jet, it effects the low jet.. Is that the same on a saw? Never seen that discussed??
Absolutely as to daily tuning & the cause an effect issue . I set my low speed to ensure crisp response , then tune the high speed within the cut to allow maximum rpm & back it off a quarter turn or so . The idle speed once warmed up to just before clutch engagement , this usually provides sufficient rpm for a cold idle start up !

Some FD rated oils I bet most will snob their noses to. But look on the new FD list it is there and still can be bought in 3.2oz. Also sold in the 2.6oz, but I wont stock that.
I stock these for guys that want 1 gal mix and I tune their saws with my 40:1 VP oil and efree mix when here anyway.

poilz.jpg
poilzz.jpg

Some FD rated oils I bet most will snob their noses to. But look on the new FD list it is there and still can be bought in 3.2oz. Also sold in the 2.6oz, but I wont stock that.
I stock these for guys that want 1 gal mix and I tune their saws with my 40:1 VP oil and efree mix when here anyway.
View attachment 1048440
I actually bought some of their same labelled bar oil it was $12 a gallon at the time , fine product !

View attachment 1048439
View attachment 1048440
Any FD oil is great for chainsaw use. I'd rather run that stuff than Saber to be honest.

If it's legit FD I'd run it, no matter what's on the outside of the bottle.

Any idea who actually makes that Poulan stuff?
If legit. :laughing: #303 right on the certified list dated 1 Nov 2022. ;)

Should go see the oils and their ratings sometime if your worry about such things. :cheers:

Husky has it blended to specs for them by maker.

poilfd.jpg

Here's a thread from a guy who has tested 2 stroke oils for the Department of Defense in 2 stroke UAV engines. Note the thread title: https://www.flyinggiants.com/forums/showthread.php?t=57253 What do you think of the pics there. He says there is no way it was running rich either.
In the first place it's pretty apparent that those pics didn't come from a motor that was running rich. A rich mixture will typically wash the piston clean or partially clean. That motor was ran on the lean side and it shows a buildup of sulfated ash indicative of running a low ash type oil at constant rpm.
In the second, think of the operating conditions of a UAV. Constant throttle and high load from driving a prop along with decent cooling from high air flow. What's that like? A outboard motor.. As such that engine should have been ran on a ashless marine type oil. Anything that runs constant throttle and RPM really needs a ashless oil, of which Saber is not. It should be noted that 4 cycle piston engine aviation engines run ashless oil for this reason.
So, while I am no fan of Scamsoil, 100:1 ratios or Saber in particular you can hardly blame the oil for these results.

Yeah he does, so does trains! Burns so cleanly, but they both work their equipment harddddd.

Funnily enough I forgot to mention, I was on the search for the 2 stroke oil smell that was so reminiscent of my dirtbike days (2008 onwards). It’s Amsoil Saber. So far it’s the only oil I can run at 32:1 that produces hardly any smoke, doesn’t give me a headache and smells absolutely amazing. It’s literally the smell of pure joy LOL
I'm an old motocrosser from the 60's and 70's and I flat love the smell of good old Castrol R! Bean oil was all I'd ever run in my Maico's and CZ's. Just thinking of it now makes me long for a whiff!

I thought the linked conversation had several valuable data points and confirmed that oil discussion in RC groups is as spirited as they are here.
I'm still going to continue using Sabre at 40:1 mixed with ethanol-free 93 octane as it's worked well for me, but I wouldn't shy away from trying something different.

I'm an old motocrosser from the 60's and 70's and I flat love the smell of good old Castrol R! Bean oil was all I'd ever run in my Maico's and CZ's. Just thinking of it now makes me long for a whiff

I'm an old motocrosser from the 60's and 70's and I flat love the smell of good old Castrol R! Bean oil was all I'd ever run in my Maico's and CZ's. Just thinking of it now makes me long for a whiff!
Klotz Super Techniplate IMO smells better than any other oil!

Latest posts

Back