Two Years Of Improvements In Meteor Cylinder Kits (Brad's Pics)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think the whole thing is really kind of simple. The OEM are by and large better, period. The AM are by and large cheaper. Do you want the best available, or do you want the more cost effective?

Here's what I see. You posted two year old pics of a kit....made a blanket statement that they were all junk because of those pics (which I would bet were the worst you had in your files).

Then you were sent a new kit to look at after you said you would give it a fair evaluation. When you received the kit you overly enlarged the pics to exaggerate the "defects" and then stated that this was no improvement at all. Which is a load of bull####.

You also said you wouldn't waste your time installing this sorry kit.....but looking back through your posts shows you've installed must worse and crowed about how great it was.

You've dropped a bunch in my eyes over this #### Brad.

No bombshell!

I think the whole thing is really kind of simple. The OEM are by and large better, period. The AM are by and large cheaper. Do you want the best available, or do you want the more cost effective?

Pretty much the bottom line.

That is NOT always the case. I bought an OEM cylinder for an 026 that looked like garbage, almost as bad as the one in Brad's 2 year old pics.
I just put a NWP kit on a 290 and it looked great. I really couldn't believe it didn't have any problems whatsoever. Not saying every one will be as nice, but you also can't say that every OEM kit you buy will be flawless.

monkey-with-gun.jpg

I already adressed that, Randy. Once you posted the pics side by side, there is an improvement. The bottom line is, they're still crap, IMHO.

But why did I have to drag that statement out of you by posting you own pics side by side?

Why does this have to be personal? I pointed out flaws in a product. I cam after no one. Now you're coming after me in a personal way. That's what I'm very upset about. Why do you think this is personal?

Well, let's just say you've pissed me off. Not an easy task.

A true friend thinks before posting. I've done a lot of that today.

That's all there is to it Nik. Why more is being made of this is beyond me!

You were the one that started this ####storm.

I'm seeing more and more mention of the Meteor cylinder kits. I received a couple samples early on, and to be honest with you, I cringed everytime I see them mentioned. One was for a MS440 and the other for a MS460. Both were inferior, but one in particular was absolutely horrible. The port shapes are very irregular, as well as the beveling. I ported the better of these two, and it still didn't make power. I used the same numbers that make an OEM cylinder run very well. Unless drastic changes have been made, then I say buyer beware.

IMG_6632-L.jpg

IMG_6628-L.jpg

IMG_6626-L.jpg

IMG_6625-L.jpg

IMG_6623-L.jpg

OEM is on the right.
IMG_6610-L.jpg

There seems to be an idea floating around that there is some hidden agenda, or some kind of ulterial motive with my thread on these kits. Where that is coming from, I have no idea. I have asked, and been given no answer. I will give you a little history to help you understand me frustrations.

For several years now, I have been asked to review AM cylinder kits. I have been happy to do so. Some have been bad, some have been good. I have given constructive criticism and recommendations for improvement. Over time, I have become more and more frustrated with them. I would say that the 066BB has come the farthest. Yet we still read reports of kits getting out with free porting and the piston hitting the head:bang:

So why did I single out Meteor to take the heat? I've always felt that I could trust Meteor pistons. Their reputation is excellent and the product as good as OEM. I expected far more from them, than for them to put their name on the same cylinders being used in the other AM kits.

It's been said that I didn't give the new Meteor kit a fair evaluation, and that I did so on purpose. Perhaps it was not fair, but it certainly wasn't on purpose. I said that I saw no improvement. When put side by side, the imiprovement is obvious. However, the bottom line is that I still wouldn't use one. They're just not there. Thus, I overstated when I said that I saw no improvement.

I'm very surprised by the stance that so many of you have taken. I really thought that we as chainsaw enthusiast demanded more from out vendors. I guess I read that one wrong.

There seems to be an idea floating around that there is some hidden agenda, or some kind of ulterial motive with my thread on these kits. Where that is coming from, I have no idea. I have asked, and been given no answer. I will give you a little history to help you understand me frustrations.

For several years now, I have been asked to review AM cylinder kits. I have been happy to do so. Some have been bad, some have been good. I have given constructive criticism and recommendations for improvement. Over time, I have become more and more frustrated with them. I would say that the 066BB has come the farthest. Yet we still read reports of kits getting out with free porting and the piston hitting the head:bang:

So why did I single out Meteor to take the heat? I've always felt that I could trust Meteor pistons. Their reputation is excellent and the product as good as OEM. I expected far more from them, than for them to put their name on the same cylinders being used in the other AM kits.

It's been said that I didn't give the new Meteor kit a fair evaluation, and that I did so on purpose. Perhaps it was not fair, but it certainly wasn't on purpose. I said that I saw no improvement. When put side by side, the imiprovement is obvious. However, the bottom line is that I still wouldn't use one. They're just not there. Thus, I overstated when I said that I saw no improvement.

I'm very surprised by the stance that so many of you have taken. I really thought that we as chainsaw enthusiast demanded more from out vendors. I guess I read that one wrong.

It's your attitude Brad. You need a PR guy to edit your post and stuff. :buttkick:

Ms180.

Oops, that was the connecting rod.:msp_rolleyes:

There is nothing wrong with the stamped rod used on the 170/180/211/231 etc, they are designed to withstand a lot more dynamic forces than the little engines will put out, never seen one damaged myself all you have to do is use the method that Stihl ask that you use on these saws, don't go hammering on them with an impact or use the rope trick, use a piston stop and you'll be just fine. Do the job taking short cuts and you can damage any of them.

IMO your modus operandi sticks your neck out, but you can`t see that, can you?

it was steak night here at the Tesla household. My lovely daughter, wife and my fat self enjoyed rib eye steaks while Andre elected to go with a t-bone. I used to like Andre, I'm not so sure now. While I was taking a crap, he was outside fondling my grill. I didn't like the way he put the grates on too early. I wondered why he would do that. Then it became very clear. He was intent on sabotaging my steaks. As long as Andyshine77 and I have been friends, we've debated cuts of steak. I prefer the clearly superior and manly rib-eye, Andre the girly tenderloin. Now the only thing I can think of is that he knew he lost the great steak debate (even though his t-bone actually had nicer marbling) and was intent on ruining all of our fun. That bastard.

btw, no cows related to DSS were consumed for this post

Last edited:
it was steak night here at the Tesla household. My lovely daughter, wife and my fat self enjoyed rib eye steaks while Andre elected to go with a t-bone. I used to like Andre, I'm not so sure now. While I was taking a crap, he was outside fondling my grill. I didn't like the way he put the grates on too early. I wondered why he would do that. Then it became very clear. He was intent on sabotaging my steaks. As long as Andyshine77 and I have been friends, we've debated cuts of steak. I prefer the clearly superior and manly rib-eye, Andre the girly tenderloin. Now the only thing I can think of is that he knew he lost the great steak debate (even though his t-bone actually had nicer marbling) and was intent on ruining all of our fun. That bastard.

plus bacon.

I said earlier in this thread that I would bow out if it got ugly.......

Thanks Nik......I'm staying now. LMAO

Latest posts

Back