Uh Oh!?! I think this one's here to stay...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

D&B Mack

Sawin Wit It!
Reaction score
Over the years, I have owned various saws of various brands. However, I always seem to go back to Stihl. Mostly, it comes down to ergonomics. Performance differences (I run my saws stock) always seem to be negligible for me when comparing various brands in a 'pro' class. As an example, I have had the 346xp, 5100s and then the ended up at the 261. All suited me for performance, I just liked the handling better of the 261.

Until now...

2013-01-12_12-37-01_541.jpg

Picked it up on Saturday. Got about 5 hours on it Sat. and got about 10 hours on it on Sunday. Saturday, did the 'learning' time ripping some logs and then bucked up some smaller stuff. Saturday, did a couple of evergreen removals (reminder: get the sap off the saw) at a friends house (about 15" dbh average) and then when back to bucking up some hardwoods for firewood.

IMO, there is no comparison. The handling of saw is nearly as perfect as it gets. This is a great firewood saw, and if there is anyone on the edge questioning whether or not to purchase a 550, I say go for it; you will not be disappointed. Normally, I get a little frustrated with not using a Stihl and its familiarity. This was not the case. Well done Husky, well done...:bowdown:

so are you going to send the 261 on it's way? Ive hearn nothing but good from these new huskie's. Makes it pretty exciting time for CAD!:msp_thumbup:

Nothing bad about performance, but i've heard a few things about their reliability of husks new saws. Hope it serves you well.

so are you going to send the 261 on it's way?

No. First, the 261 has held up well over two years. Well have to see how the 550 holds up long term. Besides that, my saw supply has gotten low as of recent so I've got to start building back up supply. :D

Nothing bad about performance, but i've heard a few things about their reliability of husks new saws. Hope it serves you well.

Yeah, that will remain to be seen. I just don't remember the last time I was this impressed over a new saw.

What bar & chain nets the perfect handling? Does Husky have different grades of bars such as the Stihl "E" vs "ES" bars? Congrats, DW

Not sure the chain would matter on 'handling', but the bar: 18" Pixel Bar

I haven't experimented yet with chain (only had it for two days). I believe it comes with the oregon 20 series set-up, but someone more experienced may come along and correct me there.

I believe Oregon makes all their bars, so whatever Oregon offers is the choices.

Loves me some 550XP! Mine feels perfect with a 16" ArborPro, and should feel just as good when I get the 13" Tsumura or whatever the heck Ive got coming. I dont know that Ive been more impressed with a new saw either! New saw rep your way..

Back