ummmm....sthil new tech

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

demc570

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
was talking to my dealer today,while picking up a few chains.\and new av gloves..well got talking and he said he went to sthil seminar thingy,and it seems that the new saws like 441 if i understood him,that these new saws will all have different computer technology,that will have to buy one,machine or cable interface thingy for each model with that technology,which isnt cheap,so i said wont one work,he said no,its a seperate new device for each model saw.......and from what i understand my dealer has to pay for that,that seems tough for small dealers. glad i got ms660 instead.

was talking to my dealer today,while picking up a few chains.\and new av gloves..well got talking and he said he went to sthil seminar thingy,and it seems that the new saws like 441 if i understood him,that these new saws will all have different computer technology,that will have to buy one,machine or cable interface thingy for each model with that technology,which isnt cheap,so i said wont one work,he said no,its a seperate new device for each model saw.......and from what i understand my dealer has to pay for that,that seems tough for small dealers. glad i got ms660 instead.

I'm very confused. Are you saying that like cars, chainsaw are now going to have a data port or something like that?

HUH? Did he also sell you on the "never have to sharpen chains" and the high speed bar oil??

I know the newer Husqvarnas do. The Husky dealer near me was grousing about it last time I was there.

7dc26c88.png

I haven't heard of the same thing for Stihl.

I'd assume it's the same interface for all, but if they're being pricks I could see them requiring you pay for the program for each model.

Stihl has M-Tronics, Husky has Auto tune. I hadn't heard anything about a different setup for each saw. Seems to be a pretty sweet setup, no changing tuning all the time for temp changes and whatnot. Plug in for diagnostics and history. Pretty cool stuff. I think I'm going to wait for EFI. I bet it's not that far off.

HUH? Did he also sell you on the "never have to sharpen chains" and the high speed bar oil??

lol.no he didnt sell me on anything,nice guy...just having a conversation about new technology..i brought it up..their a small hardware store,they been very good to me..i think he just worried about the added expences of trying to keep up with new technology..i not complaining,since i dont even have the newer brand,just thought it was weird to have to have so many different equipment,to service one brand,what i gathered for every new style mtronic type saw,meaning differnt numbers like ms441mtronic,and say what ever new mtronic comes about,they will need different style conector or whatever,just to plug in if neeed adjustments..i gathered it was $500 plus..i not bashing or talking bad about it and neither was he,just concerned that this may effect alot of smaller dealers,who cant justify the cost for such equipment,hopefuly they will come up with a universal way to treat all saws...

I know the newer Husqvarnas do. The Husky dealer near me was grousing about it last time I was there.

7dc26c88.png

I haven't heard of the same thing for Stihl.

I'd assume it's the same interface for all, but if they're being pricks I could see them requiring you pay for the program for each model.

thats the way i gathered it,sad to add that kind of expence,maybe they figure away around it...

Moving this to Chainsaw in the hopes that someone with actual knowledge of the M-Tronic system can answer if the hardware/software for each model is different.

So are we gonna get the same treatment as
every other electronic commodity gadget has now gotten?

I.E.
glitchy software .

stops working after X many hours run time and all you get for an answer is....
[ you must go to "my chainsaw won't run.com" ]

"updates" that check for any user alterations to the programing
and reset to old specs.

will also look for
blacklisted (electronic)serial numbers (and they WILL be unique to each saw)
just like ALL of your phones, TV sets, DVD players, mp3 players, ipods, etc now are.

Oh and lets not forget the opportunity for trial ware performance settings.
it runs a certain way for three months and then drops 25~30 percent horse power.
But you can pay third of the saws original price for the upgrade.
or how about a yearly/monthly renewal option?

just don't forget about DMCA when you're thinking of downloading that hacked firmware

oh yeah we can lock the saw to the selling dealer.
Dont think so??
look at what just happened to unlocking your cell phones.

Last edited:
So are we gonna get the same treatment as
every other electronic commodity gadget has now gotten?

I.E.
glitchy software .

stops working after X many hours run time and all you get for an answer is....
[ you must go to "my chainsaw won't run.com" ]

"updates" that check for any user alterations to the programing
and reset to old specs.

will also look for
blacklisted (electronic)serial numbers (and they WILL be unique to each saw)
just like ALL of your phones, TV sets, DVD players, mp3 players, ipods, etc now are.

Oh and lets not forget the opportunity for trial ware performance settings.
it runs a certain way for three months and then drops 25~30 percent horse power.
But you can pay third of the saws original price for the upgrade.
or how about a yearly/monthly renewal option?

just don't forget about DMCA when you're thinking of downloading that hacked firmware

oh yeah we can lock the saw to the selling dealer.
Dont think so??
look at what just happened to unlocking your cell phones.
You're using Window$ then I gather?

Sent from an old desktop running Kubuntu

Had to laugh at myself, Thanks Woodheat.

yeah, still stuck with window$ for a bit.
so much of my "legacy" junk/hardware hasn't played well with Linux.
I do need to check Ubunto and see what the latest version can do.

If I could afford a box with bout 12gig of ram, etc
I like to just run a live boot and no hard drive.
....would be nice to just ignore some of the perptual issues of running scripts.

..........and this all reminds me of the '70's & '80's in the truck dealership. Electronics, what to do!!! It created such a furor, and to no avail. The manufacturers built them, we had to service them, etc. We (the dealers) were 'spoon fed' special tools every model run, at a tremendous expense. If we wanted to sell & service the vehicles, we bought the tools & training. It was an on-going battle, still is, from what I'm told.

From the first "transistorized ignition & voltage regulator" testers to DVOM's to interface devices to simple scan diagnostics to gas analyzers to laptops to internet based programming........and on....an on.........

Since retirement, I've followed the crowd, watched & learned. Now, I'm finally able to pick up some old, outdated technology for pennies on the auction sites, which finally allows me to service my older model vehicles & equipment. I'm standing by for the full implementation of the MDI system, when all the dealers get tired of their Tech 2's I'm there for them, hand outstretched....:msp_w00t:

Latest posts

Back