Unbelievable wood find

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here the power company and utility companies drop trees all the time on the roadside . They cut it into smaller length so people can pick them up . I have asked as they are cutting to follow them with my truck and trailer and pick it up always get the A OK . Here the state or town owns 10 feet in it’s not a right of way they own it so your not stealing wood if they leave it .

I have to go get about two cord of Ash on the side of route 55A the City of NY cut because it’s their property . The DEP city cops wave to you as you cut and load . Saves the DEP from sending out crews to pick it up as they can’t leave it in ditch

I got a dozer and a couple tractors you can see from the road; I hope you don't drive by!!!

SR

Nuthin like reviving an old fight 🙄

IIRC, MT Res, found this on National Forest land, that was Open to wood 🪵 cutting.

That being the case, only cut what you can haul (again, IIRC the cuts weren’t even finished)

Yeah, it would be in bad form, to start cutting from the other end of a log someone else is currently cutting on on, but you can’t stake a claim on something that you aren’t taking while you’re there. Ya LEAVE, it is fair game for anyone else out cutting

You leave a note saying that it is “Your Log 🪵 “ if a Forest Ranger sees that, he is likely to LAUGH, and then remove your note. This ain’t the third grade, you don’t get to call “Dibs” and then go home

If it is in a National Forest designated wood cutting area, it is only your’s until you leave it behind, FOR HOWEVER LONG. I cut in the NF all the time, and I don’t have any trouble understanding this, it Baffles me that so many struggle with the concept

FWIW, MTResident, and I don’t see eye to eye on many things, but he didn’t do anything wrong here.

On top of all that, it was only 3 logs of about 25’ each, that works out to about 56 16” rounds FFS, and a bunch of you Nancy’s are getting worked up over that?🙄

Hey, if someone is taking it from Your PRIVATE PROPERTY, that is a completely different game, but this is PUBLIC Land, Open to ALL

Doug 😎

I remember numerous times dad left my brother or I sitting on the rest of our cut till he could unload and come back cause it absolutely wouldn’t fit in the truck. Public land means it aint your wood unless you are there harvesting it. Last year i came across 3/4 of a 36” doug fir left on the ground. Some guy cut a dozen rounds out the middle and left the rest. On the uphill side where you could easily have rolled everything in the truck without lifting it. Where i get wood is a little known state land dead end area where i am usually the only one cutting in. I left it there for over a month thinking one of my neighbors must be coming back for it. No one ever did so I finally took it. Found 3 more trees in the same area where they did the same thing. Smaller trees but left 3/4 of the tree. Some lazy kid im guessing. Reported it to the dep. of lands in case they find someone wasting wood like that. Finished with about 3 cords from his trailings.

From the USFS Mt Hood NF wood cutting website:

I saw someone cutting on my piece of firewood. What can I do?
The Mt. Hood National Forest does not have a reservation system for firewood. Firewood is gathered on a first come, first served basis. If you are observing suspicious activity, you may report it to your local ranger station. If possible, report the activity with a vehicle description and license plate number.

So basically it is your’s, UNTIL you leave it behind

It really is a SIMPLE CONCEPT

Doug 😎

Had a guy and his wife drive by me 4 times in 3-4 hours asking if I’d be able to fit it all in. I told him it’d all fit if i had to strap it to the hood! Thought i bit off more than i could chew for a while though. Managed to only lose 1 round off the other side. Personally, i am not busting my butt to leave wood behind for someone else.IMG_4659.jpegIMG_4660.jpeg

I have no use for those stealing. This is the time of year the we experience it a lot,,,,,,,,the "shroomers" are out in force and making a killing stealing

I totally agree with you on thieves, and while MTResident and I rarely agree on much, in this case, he didn’t steal anything. He simply took some wood from public land, that was available for ANYONE to take

No Theft at all

Doug 😎

I totally agree with you on thieves, and while MTResident and I rarely agree on much, in this case, he didn’t steal anything. He simply took some wood from public land, that was available for ANYONE to take

No Theft at all

Doug 😎
Well here the "shroomers" think all land is public. It is big business here for a very short time. They make huge money on trespassing. They last time I went "shrooming" was over 30 years ago on my land when I was in college. It was with an very attractive older gal that that had lost her hubby early in life. All we found was pecker heads. .................never went again but it was a fun experience

Yes censors a peckerhead is a mushroom that grows here.

1684039393537.png

Well here the "shroomers" think all land is public. It is big business here for a very short time. They make huge money on trespassing. They last time I went "shrooming" was over 30 years ago on my land when I was in college. It was with an older gal that that had lost her hubby early in life and all we found was pecker head. .................never went again

Taking something from private property(Without Permission) is a completely different game, and not what this thread was about

Doug 😎

Taking something from private property(Without Permission) is a completely different game, and not what this thread was about

Doug 😎
See round here there is not a lot of public property and if I take a stick of wood off any of it, it is a federal offense and yes I mean a federal offense. It is illegal for anyone. The USCEC land is federal land and I cannot take a twig from it. It used to be my grandfathers land until about 1932 when they started damming the river, After that we lost the land the river took. Then after 1936 we trapped the land we used to own when we trapped it on the river. We also paid rent on the dryland we used to farm and own. Then in 1988 they took the rest away. Now it is a overgrown mess of 30 inch Cottonwoods and has turned the rest of a adjoining productive piece of land into a wasteland.

Yes I do have an issue with the fact that some take things from public lands without a second thought.

Yes I do have an issue with the fact that some take things from public lands without a second thought

Bill, the wood that MT Resident took, was intended to be taken by the public for firewood, he didn’t take anything that wasn’t approved to be taken

We can even get permits for native plants and trees , one goes through the proper channels, there shouldn’t be any issues with it

Doug 😎

Yup permit needed for this camp ground find. Permits were free again this year, and it only took a phone call to the Ranger Station to get, and it arrived via mail in two days time.

I’m even going to give ya the benefit of the doubt, and assume that you already had your permit

In pulling up that statement about wood 🪵 being first come first served, I saw that our wood cutting season just opened, and that the permits are free again this year too.

I still have to get our’s, but most of the open areas that we cut in, are above 3,500, a lot are over 5,000’ elevation and still snowed in.

We have had a couple friends who don’t burn, take some trees down, and we have rounds stacked all over the place at the moment. We need to get those split and stacked before we bring any more home 🏡. After the last loads, I decided, no more rounds coming home, we’re taking the splitter with us, and whatever we bring home goes from the trailer to the wood shed

Doug 😎

Back