Unbelievable wood find

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
See round here there is not a lot of public property and if I take a stick of wood off any of it, it is a federal offense and yes I mean a federal offense. It is illegal for anyone. The USCEC land is federal land and I cannot take a twig from it. It used to be my grandfathers land until about 1932 when they started damming the river, After that we lost the land the river took. Then after 1936 we trapped the land we used to own when we trapped it on the river. We also paid rent on the dryland we used to farm and own. Then in 1988 they took the rest away. Now it is a overgrown mess of 30 inch Cottonwoods and has turned the rest of a adjoining productive piece of land into a wasteland.

Yes I do have an issue with the fact that some take things from public lands without a second thought.
“You will own nothing and be happy.” Of course you know who made that comment. The problem with government is that they continually take from the citizens. When government gets too big we get what we deserve. The private land owner is an increasingly hated citizen class especially as seen from some of our foreign friends here on AS. Some of them see our property as a free for all and that errant world view has seeped into the US with the passage of time and subsequent generations. Personal property is something not respected in this current age.

Wrt to public lands the establishment was done In numerous ways. Private land was taken, given at will, or free for the taking. Over 200 years ago you could get 100 acres for free as long as you worked the land and produced resources for the community and war efforts at large. One thing I do agree with is securing land for the public’s use that private landowners cannot pay taxes on or want to donate. Open spaces, hunting, foraging, recreation, etc. is a great benefit for public use. Current use laws are also very good options for land owners who enjoy a reduced tax rate for agricultural, forestry, or recreational purposes.

No doubt this is hot button topic with the greater AS community but we must respect each other’s’ homelands, borders, and laws. Vastly different and I am firmly opposed to creating some one world order here. The exercise of free will is paramount and if you wanna post your land that is your right. If you wanna open it up to the phallic shaped fungi troupes that is also your right. But if you break the land laws you should pay the max fines that exist in the laws of that land.

Taking something from private property(Without Permission) is a completely different game, and not what this thread was about

Doug 😎
Things are different in different places. We cannot even take the used power poles the power company cuts up and leaves in the road ditches. It is the same with RR ties but those are on private land so it is understandable. In both cases they are left to rot.

Yes I do have an issue with the fact that some take things from public lands without a second thought

Bill, the wood that MT Resident took, was intended to be taken by the public for firewood, he didn’t take anything that wasn’t approved to be taken

We can even get permits for native plants and trees , one goes through the proper channels, there shouldn’t be any issues with it

Doug 😎
Well it may have been intended to be taken but not by him. These few quotes say a lot.

Neighbor and I were heading out to sight in some rifles, and in a few miles we came across the wood find that I still can't believe. Just off the road 3 ~25 foot 14 to 16" logs, bucked of branches, 90% cut at 16" lengths, no rot but a bit green still. We jumped out, verified what our eyes were seeing. Raced back and hooked up the trailer, and raced back to the logs. I felt like we were robbing a bank. We finished the cuts, loaded and were heading back home in 5 or so minutes. In total 30+ logs that we split evenly, and for me that is about a weeks worth of heat in December. What a find. I wish it was this easy all the time.
I highly doubt those trees felled themselves, limbed themselves, and bucked themselves into 16 inch lengths. I am thinking that was done by another person........
Maybe that was somebody else's wood and they were coming back to finish it up and take it away for themselves...
Of course it was
Of course. That's why I felt like I was robbing a bank. This happens all the time. I have left wood because my trailer was full, but never that much nor in that condition.
The above quote solidified my belief

Well it may have been intended to be taken but not by him. These few quotes say a lot.

I highly doubt those trees felled themselves, limbed themselves, and bucked themselves into 16 inch lengths. I am thinking that was done by another person........

Of course it was

The above quote solidified my belief

And this statement right here:

Maybe that was somebody else's wood and they were coming back to finish it up and take it away for themselves...

Shows that many are not familiar with cutting in the National Forests

In the NF’s, it is only “Your’s” until you leave it behind

Don’t cut more than you can haul, you can’t “Claim “ something as yours and come back for it later

No you can’t take out of a pile that someone has cut and is going to load, no you don’t cut on the same log that someone else is currently cutting on, Seriously, that shouldn’t need to be explained, but it ain’t “your’s” until it is loaded, tagged and heading home

You can’t call Dibs and leave, if you leave, it is fair game, cut or otherwise, it is there for the taking

I try to estimate how much I can load, and not cut more than that, I may end up with a little room left in the trailer (probably still over loaded weight wise anyway) or I may end up leaving a few rounds behind, if someone else grabs them, BFD, it wasn’t, or shouldn’t have been enough to be concerned about. There aren’t that many times that I am returning to the same spot to continue cutting.

We are required in the NF’s to stay for a one hour fire watch after the last power equipment is shut down. I usually cut as much as I estimate I can haul, and then spend the firewatch time loading wood and equipment, often spend more than my required one hour doing so

Because of the one hour firewatch requirement, I often pass up some decent wood, simply because there isn’t enough to warrant the hour firewatch, I just find enough in one spot to justify the time

I often go by later, and see wood gone that I passed up, and doubt that they did the required firewatch, THAT is more “Wrong” than taking a bit of wood that someone else may or may not be coming back for, that they honestly have no right to expect to still be there when they come back

It really is a simple concept, but many, can’t understand it, I can say that although there are a lot of members here that I would love to meet, there are also some that I am glad aren’t sharing the same cutting areas that I cut in, MT Resident would be Welcome in the Mt Hood NF as far as I am concerned

Doug 😎

And this statement right here:

Shows that many are not familiar with cutting in the National Forests

In the NF’s, it is only “Your’s” until you leave it behind

Don’t cut more than you can haul, you can’t “Claim “ something as yours and come back for it later

No you can’t take out of a pile that someone has cut and is going to load, no you don’t cut on the same log that someone else is currently cutting on, Seriously, that shouldn’t need to be explained, but it ain’t “your’s” until it is loaded, tagged and heading home

You can’t call Dibs and leave, if you leave, it is fair game, cut or otherwise, it is there for the taking

I try to estimate how much I can load, and not cut more than that, I may end up with a little room left in the trailer (probably still over loaded weight wise anyway) or I may end up leaving a few rounds behind, if someone else grabs them, BFD, it wasn’t, or shouldn’t have been enough to be concerned about. There aren’t that many times that I am returning to the same spot to continue cutting.

We are required in the NF’s to stay for a one hour fire watch after the last power equipment is shut down. I usually cut as much as I estimate I can haul, and then spend the firewatch time loading wood and equipment, often spend more than my required one hour doing so

Because of the one hour firewatch requirement, I often pass up some decent wood, simply because there isn’t enough to warrant the hour firewatch, I just find enough in one spot to justify the time

I often go by later, and see wood gone that I passed up, and doubt that they did the required firewatch, THAT is more “Wrong” than taking a bit of wood that someone else may or may not be coming back for, that they honestly have no right to expect to still be there when they come back

It really is a simple concept, but many, can’t understand it, I can say that although there are a lot of members here that I would love to meet, there are also some that I am glad aren’t sharing the same cutting areas that I cut in, MT Resident would be Welcome in the Mt Hood NF as far as I am concerned

Doug 😎
As I have said before things are different in different areas.

What are the laws out there on your duck blinds on public waters or deer stands on public lands?

As I have said before things are different in different areas.

What are the laws out there on your duck blinds on public waters or deer stands on public lands?

I’m not a hunter, so I couldn’t tell ya, but I imagine, if it ain’t yours, don’t take it, is pretty universal

And that there is the confusion in cutting in the NF’s, just because you cut it, doesn’t mean that it is “Your’s” once you leave

Don’t take it, it ain’t yours, if it’s still there when you get back, load and tag it, it’s YOURS, see how simple that is???

The easy solution is to just not cut more than you can haul
Simple Concepts, some people 🙄😥

Doug 😎

Bill, all I can tell you is, I would enjoy meeting you, but I would suggest that you just cut on your own property, or other private property that you have permission to cut on. Then you would have a right to reasonably expect to cut wood, and come back later to finish loading or cut more at that spot, you don’t have that “Right” in the NF’s

Doug 😎

I’m not a hunter, so I couldn’t tell ya, but I imagine, if it ain’t yours, don’t take it, is pretty universal

And that there is the confusion in cutting in the NF’s, just because you cut it, doesn’t mean that it is “Your’s” once you leave

Don’t take it, it ain’t yours, if it’s still there when you get back, load and tag it, it’s YOURS, see how simple that is???

The easy solution is to just not cut more than you can haul
Simple Concepts, some people 🙄😥

Doug 😎
If it is standard practice in your area then that is the way it is. You say you are not a hunter but I believe you set crab pots. Do folks set crab pots 5 feet from each other? Granted that has nothing to do with cutting wood but just wondering.

Bill, all I can tell you is, I would enjoy meeting you, but I would suggest that you just cut on your own property, or other private property that you have permission to cut on. Then you would have a right to reasonably expect to cut wood, and come back later to finish loading or cut more at that spot, you don’t have that “Right” in the NF’s

Doug 😎
Well we have no National Forests around here, You have to go a solid 7hrs south. We do have USCE land that I have discussed earlier and if you take a twig from it you will be charged in a federal court. I used to have some pictures of all the wood rotting there that no one can touch.

As for cutting on my own land I do some but right now I am cutting on land I have rented(farmed) since I was in high school. It is owned by a wonderful man that was an engineer for Alcoa. He appreciates me cutting and spraying. I spent more money spraying brush on his place then I pay him in rent and he appreciates that. I will continue to cut as much as I can there because unfortunately his days with us are growing shorter and when he passes his kids will sell it for a housing development. At that point it will be leveled.

In addition since my brother is a timber buyer and has a few skidders and log trucks getting wood generally is not tough

According to the US Forest service you need a permit to take firewood, christmas trees, wreath boughs ETC. If he did not have a permit he took it illegally . I went through 3 pages and that was about enough for me. As for the fat that someone started cutting the does not mean it is not up for grabs, however ,it is a cheap shot and an underhanded move. This original poster thinks it is great that someone did the dirty work for him. Therefore , according to the original poster, he thinks it is ok to take the wood , even if the person already cut the branches , and was cutting it up on one side Montana Resident thinks it's ok to start on the other side too . He sure would stoop that low, I can tell what kind of guy he is . How do I know? He votes democrat and that is how they think. He hurried up and got the trailers and loaded it as fast as they could. His tone of the post shows he is taking something he should have left for the guy who started it . He also said... Hate me for what I said, delete the comment cause I said democrat , kick me off the sight, I dont care. The original poster took a cheap shot and he knows it , and is very proud of it. Also, if he trimmed those logs and came back to see someone else loading the logs, I will bet another chainsaw that he would be on this board faster than you can slap a tick , saying someone tried stealing his wood. That is a hypocrite .

According to the US Forest service you need a permit to take firewood, christmas trees, wreath boughs ETC. If he did not have a permit he took it illegally . I went through 3 pages and that was about enough for me. As for the fat that someone started cutting the does not mean it is not up for grabs, however ,it is a cheap shot and an underhanded move. This original poster thinks it is great that someone did the dirty work for him. Therefore , according to the original poster, he thinks it is ok to take the wood , even if the person already cut the branches , and was cutting it up on one side Montana Resident thinks it's ok to start on the other side too . He sure would stoop that low, I can tell what kind of guy he is . How do I know? He votes democrat and that is how they think. He hurried up and got the trailers and loaded it as fast as they could. His tone of the post shows he is taking something he should have left for the guy who started it . He also said... Hate me for what I said, delete the comment cause I said democrat , kick me off the sight, I dont care. The original poster took a cheap shot and he knows it , and is very proud of it. Also, if he trimmed those logs and came back to see someone else loading the logs, I will bet another chainsaw that he would be on this board faster than you can slap a tick , saying someone tried stealing his wood. That is a hypocrite .
I guess the climate out in that area is different than it is around us. Have you ever cut in the National Forest north of you? Is that way it is up there?

No , I dont cut in the N.F. I only cut on Price co.land and they require a permit too. Yes, it is all the way up to Lake Superior.

Here are some logs that were sitting on federal land here. Are they free game? :) Like I said things are different in different areas.

Federal Land.JPG

Yes, but I have land in NW WIs. in Price co. There is N.F. there. You can get a N.F. permit to cut wood , take a tree or cut Hemlock Boughs. I am not sure if I can cut wood at all in the Flambeau River State Forest though. N.F. land goes all the way to Lake Superior. I am quite sure you can't take them cause they spent money and time to stack them and it is likely a private lumber company won a contract to cut on federal land . For some reason lumber companies up there will let the logs sit for a year or so. I don't know why. It may be to dry them out , or a glut of wood and the paper mills cant take all the wood at one time,,, not sure.

Yes, but I have land in NW WIs. in Price co. There is N.F. there. You can get a N.F. permit to cut wood , take a tree or cut Hemlock Boughs. I am not sure if I can cut wood at all in the Flambeau River State Forest though. N.F. land goes all the way to Lake Superior. I am quite sure you can't take them cause they spent money and time to stack them and it is likely a private lumber company won a contract to cut on federal land . For some reason lumber companies up there will let the logs sit for a year or so. I don't know why. It may be to dry them out , or a glut of wood and the paper mills cant take all the wood at one time,,, not sure.
You ever make it up to Hayward for the logging show or over to the Washington Co races when Steve still had them?

If that stack in Bill’s post is on NF land, READ the weekly wood cutting info sheet to see if it is in an approved cutting area or not, you just might be surprised

IMG_3833.jpeg
IMG_0698.jpeg
These log decks, were from trees cut creating firebreaks for the 2017 Eagle 🦅 Creek Fire 🔥 in Oregon. In 2019 the Forest Circus 🎪 opened those decks to wood cutters. Limbed, a lot of the bark knocked off, and the first couple layers were Stove ready, with MC (Moisture Content) averaging 11%😁
It was a bit of a drive to where these decks were located, but being able to load about 2.25 cords, it was worth it. Some of the logging road had washed out pretty badly during the 2 years those decks sat there, but that just deterred less serious cutters

We got to enjoy some Very Beautiful Scenery as well IMG_3938.jpeg
This was shot right in front of where the trailer was parked

IMG_3959.jpeg
IMG_3955.jpeg
These were on the way in/out

It doesn’t get much better than that score, Stove Ready wood, the trailer parked right next to the wood, Beautiful scenery, and my Beautiful Wife Enjoys going wood cutting, even has HER OWN Husky 445

I’ll take scores like that all day long, too bad there hasn’t been a repeat. But the score, also listed in the wood cutting info sheet, at Tilley Jane campground was another that doesn’t happen often enough, good roads, park in a camp 🏕️ site, with a picnic table, and Vault toilets nearby, cutting a LOT of nice blowdown for the Forest Circus 🎪

The Forest Circus 🤡 often lists some great scores, if you read all the info given

Doug 😎

Back