Unbelievable wood find

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As I have said before things are different in different areas.

What are the laws out there on your duck blinds on public waters or deer stands on public lands?
In NY You may not leave your blind or tree stand on public property when not in use . If itā€™s there after hours it can be taken by DEP . Also if another hunter is using it the next day after you abandoned it your SOL you canā€™t chase him/her out .

Private land is whole other deal . Iā€™ve taken two down left a note with a phone number to please call I also let them know I contacted the DEP . Funny never get a call .

Question. 2 years ago I came across 8 very large bucked Ponderosa Pines alongside the same road (first post) and managed to get 5 of them in my trailer. I was heading home with my stolen booty, and decided to give them to my neighbor who has a tractor. Thinking he could handle them better then I. YESTERDAY I drove by the same spot and the 3 that I did not take are still there. For all you morally sound non-thieving firewood burners -- is it alright for me to go pick up those remaining three. It is on public land, it's been >2 years, and from what I can tell nobody has touched them since? What should I do???

I wouldn't want to do anything that might upset you good fine handsome folks. :laughing:

My permit is my permission.

Anybody else? Anybody?

We donā€™t agree on much, but in this case, you did (edit, Nothing)wrong, and were following the RULES and Etiquette, there are evidently some on here that are not familiar with cutting in the NFā€™s

Iā€™d cut with ya any time, weā€™ll just have to avoid discussing Politics šŸ˜‰

Doug šŸ˜Ž

We donā€™t agree on much, but in this case, you did wrong, and were following the RULES and Etiquette, there are evidently some on here that are not familiar with cutting in the NFā€™s

Iā€™d cut with ya any time, weā€™ll just have to avoid discussing Politics šŸ˜‰

Doug šŸ˜Ž

I agree. Thanks!

It's rare for someone in MT to even pull a permit or abide by the Forest Circus/BLM's ridiculous rules.

$20 for 4 cords of wood. Inexpensive and easy to get.

I've never been asked for a wood permit, but my buddy and I were out with his trailer, and he was asked and didn't have it at the time. He took his permit to the Ranger Station and the matter was over. Reason why he/we were asked is because we were cutting from a slash pile left over by loggers. Ranger said that technically it was still the Mills property, but admitted that it was to be burned when the snow season arrived. He cut us some additional slack because we were not making a mess. We'd drag out a single log to buck and not disrupting the very very large pile to be burned.

$20 for 4 cords of wood. Inexpensive and easy to get.

I've never been asked for a wood permit, but my buddy and I were out with his trailer, and he was asked and didn't have it at the time. He took his permit to the Ranger Station and the matter was over. Reason why he/we were asked is because we were cutting from a slash pile left over by loggers. Ranger said that technically is was still the Mills property, but admitted that it was to be burned when the snow season arrived. He cut us some additional slack because we were not making a mess. We'd drag out a single log to buck and not disrupting the very very large pile to be burned.
My main objection isn't the coat, but the rules. For instance one area I frequent was hit by the sand springs fire. 10's of thousands of acres of burnt ponderosa pine. The problem isnit can't be cut until it hits the ground. By the time that happens it's dry rotted to the point it's useless for firewood.

My main objection isn't the coat, but the rules. For instance one area I frequent was hit by the sand springs fire. 10's of thousands of acres of burnt ponderosa pine. The problem isnit can't be cut until it hits the ground. By the time that happens it's dry rotted to the point it's useless for firewood.

I totally get what youā€™re saying, some of the rules arenā€™t as consistent from one NF to another, as you would expect they would be

In the Mt Hood NF, weā€™re not allowed to fall standing dead, or winch logs at all, weā€™re allowed 6 cords per Household, used to be $10/cord, 2 cord minimum

The Bend/Fort Rock unit was (Last time I checked) allowed to fall standing dead up to 24ā€ DBH, No winching and 8 cords at $5/cord IIRC 2 cord minimum

Wenatchee NF allowed to fall standing dead up to 20ā€ DBH, Can winch logs up to 200ā€™ distance and take 12 cords per household at $5/cord

I would expect that being Federal Land, the NFā€™s would have consistent Rules and Fees in all the NFā€™s, but that isnā€™t the case

Doug šŸ˜Ž

How is it they know how much you cut?

Itā€™s a lot like reporting fish caught, basically on the honor system, but they can check your daily catch

In wood cutting in the NFā€™s, you get a Permit, and buy tags for however much wood you intend to cut, up to the household annual limit

Each ā€œTagā€ is good for 1/2 a full cord, after you load your wood, you attach however many tags you need for the amount of wood youā€™re taking. For example I can haul 2 cords in my trailer, so I I would attach 4 tags to the back of the load, where they would be visible to a following vehicle

Each year the tags are a different color, and they donā€™t honor unused tags from previous years, so you try not to buy more than you think you can fill. You can buy more tags if you need to, but the ranger station opens later than I prefer to head up the hill to go cutting

On your permit, there are places to record how many tags, and their serial numbers, for what you took each day. I have never been checked, but they can. There is a State DOT truck weigh station near where I live, and in the past, they were known to make wood cutters cross the scale, if they appeared to be over a vehicleā€™s weight rating, but it has been quite a few years since Iā€™ve heard of that happening, but itā€™s not uncommon to see grossly over loaded pickups on the hwy

Doug šŸ˜Ž

Wind downed and dead standing are what we cut. It helps the forest to remove the dead trees. Nobody is out to get each other and squeal to the Forestry Service.

I WISH, that we were allowed to cut standing dead in the Mt Hood NF, but unfortunately the Mt Hood NF, has some of the Highest Fees, lowest annual take, and most restrictive rules

It is what it is, the permits and tags are cheap, we Enjoy going up cutting, it saves us a Ton on our Heating bills, and the fire in the wood stove adds a nice ambiance to the house šŸ”

IMG_0809.jpeg
This makes things nice and Comfy Inside

IMG_1356.jpeg
IMG_1353.jpeg
IMG_3524.jpeg
IMG_3525.jpeg
When it looks like this outside šŸ˜

Doug šŸ˜Ž

Itā€™s a lot like reporting fish caught, basically on the honor system, but they can check your daily catch

In wood cutting in the NFā€™s, you get a Permit, and buy tags for however much wood you intend to cut, up to the household annual limit

Each ā€œTagā€ is good for 1/2 a full cord, after you load your wood, you attach however many tags you need for the amount of wood youā€™re taking. For example I can haul 2 cords in my trailer, so I I would attach 4 tags to the back of the load, where they would be visible to a following vehicle

Each year the tags are a different color, and they donā€™t honor unused tags from previous years, so you try not to buy more than you think you can fill. You can buy more tags if you need to, but the ranger station opens later than I prefer to head up the hill to go cutting

On your permit, there are places to record how many tags, and their serial numbers, for what you took each day. I have never been checked, but they can. There is a State DOT truck weigh station near where I live, and in the past, they were known to make wood cutters cross the scale, if they appeared to be over a vehicleā€™s weight rating, but it has been quite a few years since Iā€™ve heard of that happening, but itā€™s not uncommon to see grossly over loaded pickups on the hwy

Doug šŸ˜Ž
Excellent detailed and informative answer

Latest posts

Back