Uneven chain wear theory

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Kinda pricey for those wheels. Do you have an idea how long they last vs. the stone wheels?

Since I sharpen my chains regularly, I never see the damages on my own, that I do see with other peoples cutters. Probably not worth it to me, or at least until neighbors start to pay me to sharpen their chains.

---- edit ----

I read a sales description and - thousands of chains before replacement. Hmmmmmm.... moving up on the to be purchased list.

I did that chain in the picture in 3 passes
CBN wheel
1 pass at 20 degrees
The rest back to 30
At 20 your cutting or removing the nose so you can take a lot off without grinding the whole cutter
USG grinder

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I really like the diamond wheel brand
There 110-120 $
At least a 1,000 chains
I like not having to dress shape the wheel
Just flip every 20 chain or so

I remember once being asked to use that type of wheel, and they burned the cutters. They supplied a cleaning stick, but it didn't do any good.
So I ordered some pink wheels...

But I will admit, I didn't fool with them too much, I had too much work to do.

I get a lot of use out of my pink wheels. I just have a hard time believing the cbn wheels don't burn cutters when removing a lot of metal per pass. Seems only with a flow of water would prevent over heating.

They will burn if you take a big pass
I can take bigger pass with Stihl stones than CBN
But at 20 degrees your just grinding off the front 1/3 of the cutter
Then back to 30 your back 2/3 of the
cutter

I was out cutting with the neighbor, and asked if his newly sharpened chain was any better. Much better he said. Still, my ms290 cut 4 to 5 rounds for his one cut with his Echo 590. Both with 3/8 chisel chains. Something is odd. After I sharpened the chain, I did run his saw, no cutting, but it felt powerful.

He did give me a 6 pack of Coors, so I'll keep doing the sharpening. :)

Very funny. :laugh:

My ms290 has out cut a ms391. Albeit the 290 was only a bit faster, in small diameter wood, and the 290 was with a 3/8 vs. a .325 chain on the 391.

The Echo 590 is only a 60cc saw, vs. the Stihl 290 is 56cc. Not a giant difference, and all else being the same CCs rules. In the real world, the chain sharpness and condition is where most of the action happens.

For those results he must have had the chain on backwards on the Echo 590. A MS290 is NO match for a Echo CS590 , not even close. Steve

Nothing funny about it, both well tuned with sharp chains the Echo CS590 cuts way faster than a MS290. I have both and I don't run dull chains. Maybe your talking about cutting 3" limbs. Steve

Some guys will build their whole online "life" around the saw that they happen to own, and defend it to the death..
I never worried about that too much....

I just rip them apart and sell the parts.....
I never worried about that too much....

I just rip them apart and sell the parts.....

Sounds nice. Can I help out at the Caribbean Island resort where this is all happening? LOL!

When you encounter chains that are filed more on one side than the other,it is just the result of the fact that most people are either right-handed or left-handed,so one side of the chain is easy to file for them and the other side is awkward,resulting in one side being filed more than the other.This is common with home users without a lot of filing experience. Most professional users generally will keep the chain pretty even.
But one result of constantly sharpening one side more than the other is that the rails on the bar wear unevenly until the bar will let the chain cock to one side and not cut,usually needing a bar grind to correct the uneven wear.

Back