UNOFFICIAL 2-Stroke OIL Brand Specification/Standard Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

one.man.band

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
There are 3 different 2-stoke oil standard rating systems in use, (that i am aware of). Rating systems rate oil by passing certain tests. The 3 organizations which rate oils are as follows:

API - FC (one rating only)

or

ISO-L EGB (good); ISO-L EGC (better); ISO-L EGD (best)

or

JASO FB (good); JASO FC (better); JASO FD (best)

I cannot gather all the information by myself. If anyone is interested please feel free to contribute. Don't want to make it a comment thread.. but just facts. When thread has exhausted itself, i will summarize the replies on a single post. Goal is to separate hype and BS.

List your pre-mix oil brand of choice... and what Oil Standard Spec. it meets (if any). Also add if it has fuel stabilizer. All info is on oil bottle/jug label. If it's not listed on label, it means has not been tested for whatever reason.

Example: Echo-Powerblend (OLD) w/fuel stabilizer.
Meets: JASO FC (M345) and ISO L-EGB

Example: Craftsman #7136555 w/fuel stabilizer.
Meets: API-TC
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Updated 10/14/11 from responses. In alphabetical order:

Amsoil Saber Professional: API-TC; ISO-L-EGD; JASO FD

Craftsman #7136555 w/fuel stabilizer. API-TC

Echo-Powerblend (NEW) w/fuel stabilizer. Exceeds: ISO-L-EGD; JASO FD (M345)

Echo-Powerblend (OLD) w/fuel stabilizer. Meets: ISO-L-EGB; JASO FC (M345)

Husqvarna LS Synthetic: ISO--L-EGD; JASO FD

Mobil 1 Racing 2T Fully Synthetic: API-TC; ISO-L-EGC; ISO-L-EGD; JASO FC; JASO FD; TISI Meets SAE Grade1&2

Quaker State Conventional: No stabilizer. API-TC; JASO FA; JASO FB

Pennzoil: API-TC

Stihl Conventional (orange bottle): W/stabilzer. No ratings noted.

Stihl HP Ultra Full Synthetic (silver bottle): W/stabilzer. API TC; API TC+; JASO FB

Tanaka Perfect Mix: ISO-L-EGD; JASO FC

Woodland Pro-Full Synthetic: W/stabilzer. ISO-L-EGD; JASO FC; JASO FD

Last edited:
I prefer the usage of 2-stroke/1-cycle oil in the proper ratio.

Cycle (n) A periodically repeated sequence of events

I still believe that a 2-stroke is a 1-cycle, and a 4-stroke is a 2-cycle engine :hmm3grin2orange:

tilenick i just read my bottle of Echo oil and it said mix at 50:1 and it may be used in any 2cycle equipment even if it was rated for a different ratio because of their special formulation. I don't think I would do that unless it was for another Echo product.
PS all my equipment is Echo except for a Jonsered brush cutter

I saw an oil that said use for all 2-stroke engines at 16:1 32:1 40:1 50:1 and just mix the bottle with one gallon of gas. does this ring true even with older saws?

Yes the oil sets the mix. All of my old Echos are marked either 16:1 or 20:1 and i run up to 40:1 in them...Bob

It just seems to me that the saw engine is made the same as it was years ago and they all ought to run at a comparable mix ,if it is a newer oil. I have a couple stihls 50:1 a craftsman 40:1 and 2 poulan 306A's 32:1 and I am tired of the different mix cans and would like to have one tried and tested gas/oil mixthat will work in the saws that I have. But if not, the three or four cans It is.

There are 3 different 2-stoke oil standard rating systems in use, (that i am aware of). Rating systems rate oil by passing certain tests. The 3 organizations which rate oils are as follows:

API - FC (one rating only)

or

ISO-L EGB (good); ISO-L EGC (better); ISO-L EGD (best)

or

JASO FB (good); JASO FC (better); JASO FD (best)

I cannot gather all the information by myself. If anyone is interested please feel free to contribute. Don't want to make it a comment thread.. but just facts. When thread has exhausted itself, i will summarize the replies on a single post. Goal is to separate hype and BS.

List your pre-mix oil brand of choice... and what Oil Standard Spec. it meets (if any). Also add if it has fuel stabilizer. All info is on oil bottle/jug label. If it's not listed on label, it means has not been tested for whatever reason.

Example: Echo-Powerblend w/fuel stabilizer.
Meets: JASO FC (M345) and ISO L-EGB

Example: Craftsman #7136555 w/fuel stabilizer.
Meets: API-TC

Echo PowerBlend oil is now certified JASO FD and ISO-L-EGD .

I prefer the usage of 2-stroke/1-cycle oil in the proper ratio.

Cycle (n) A periodically repeated sequence of events

I still believe that a 2-stroke is a 1-cycle, and a 4-stroke is a 2-cycle engine :hmm3grin2orange:

In this case, the cycle is piston starts moving, piston stops moving. It's called a 2 cycle for a reason. In the end, it's merely semantics, and not worth discussing.

Was running Tanaka perfect mix one mix 50:1, it's ISO-L-EGD & JASO FC, hey I got for free for while. But I have since switched to Lowes, Husqvarna LS synthetic 50:1, this oil is ISO L-EGD, JASO FD. Let it be known, I did use the Tanaka oil for a few years and never ever had an issue with it mixed at 50:1. Just have to get it through Grainger, Lowes is much more accsessable. I did notice a bit less smell with the synthetic Husky oil. Both have stabilizers in em.

Stihl HP Ultra-full synthetic (silver bottle)
Contains stabilizers
JASO FB
API TC/TC+

Stihl HP-Conventional (orange bottle)
Contains stabilizers
No ratings noted

Woodland Pro-Full Synthetic
Contains stabilizer
JASO FC/FD
ISO-EGD

Quaker State-Conventional
No stabilizer
JASO FA&FB
API TC

Last edited:
I use this stuff at 32:1 in everything gasoline two stroke for years. Doesn't have a rating printed on it?

attachment.php

I use this stuff at 32:1 in everything gasoline two stroke for years. Doesn't have a rating printed on it?

Anything in the small print on the rear label? If Quaker State is rated I would think Pennzoil would be, too.

The one I use is the bottle in the middle or the 8oz size. It says nothing about rating on the back?

The 16oz bottle on the right talks about being TC

attachment.php

The one I use is the bottle in the middle or the 8oz size. It says nothing about rating on the back?

The 16oz bottle on the right talks about being TC

attachment.php

In the last line of the first paragraph, on the middle bottle, it says that the oil "meets API Service Category TC".

You are correct. I see it now that you pointed it out.

Most of my model airplane gasoline engine friends use Red Line

My Chainsaw friends run Stihl Ultra

Back