Unsafe Chipping ?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Lorra said:
They were standing smack in front of the feed chute, shoving things in with their hands. Period. Why is this hard to believe? Is this how you would do it? I've always read you should stand to the side, and when things need to be shoved in, untangled, etc., to use a stick. Correct me if this is the wrong way to do it.

Sure, you're right, that is the correct way to feed a chipper. That doesn't mean thats the way guys do it all the time though.
I know guys who push with their hands and feet all the time, with no repercutions, also know a guy who does it the right way that is missing a couple fingers. I think you are perfectly safe on a disc chipper, to kick the feedwheels in neutral and untangle what you need to, then go back chipping. The regs disagree.
Thing you have to remember is that most regs are written by people who aren't even in the industry, or by Ralph Nader feel good types. That doesn't mean the regs are more safe or less safe than any other way, their just regs, and are supposed to be adheared to. Theres no gurantee that the regs are up to date with current practices and newer equipment.
-Ralph

Lorra said:
When I was standing right by the machinery, it was shortly after they had arrived. They hadn't even begun working yet. In fact, they hadn't even yet gotten their things out of the truck. I left well before they pulled out their saws.
Lorra said:
When you say "whisper" I assume you mean a quiet engine in the chipper. This machine was actually very quiet---it had a rather low humming sound. When the brush went through, it sounded like a giant whoopie cushion. Maybe if I reviewed the Vermeer web site I can identify it.
Lorra said:
I watched them closely for quite some time. The in-feed was torso high...it would NOT be accurate to say it was waist-high. The men didn't even have to lean over to jam in the brush. Also, earlier in the day, I had been standing right by it. Yes, it was chest-high, and I'm 5-8. It was a Vermeer.
It was a trimming job, so the limbs weren't that thick, and a lot of smaller limbs full of leaves were attached to the main limbs.
The chip crew were also the arborists---they were the ones in the tree doing the trimming.

I gathered that you were close enough to hear the machine at operating distance, and watched closely.
Maybe I'm wrong, but it almost sounds like trouble for the ones that tolerated you.
it could have been another thread that struck the nerve.
please forgive me if I'm out of line.

Lorra said:
They were standing smack in front of the feed chute, shoving things in with their hands. Period. Why is this hard to believe? Is this how you would do it? I've always read you should stand to the side, and when things need to be shoved in, untangled, etc., to use a stick. Correct me if this is the wrong way to do it.

Corr, she's another fiesty one.

A pic would solve a lot of problems like make/model and in feed shute ht.

Most machines have the feed rollers set far enough back that you cannot reach them and many times you do have to stand at the front stuffing small bits in and twisting turning stuff. The shute also serves as a table to do this but is long enough to prevent your hand getting grabbed.

You wouldn't happen to know another member called Trinity Honoria would you? I reckon you two will get along fine. :D

Ekka said:
Corr, she's another fiesty one.....

You wouldn't happen to know another member called Trinity Honoria would you? I reckon you two will get along fine. :D

Lorra, just so there's no misunderstanding, you've just been paid two high compliments. :laugh:

Tom Dunlap said:
"Yes, it was chest-high, and I'm 5-8. It was a Vermeer."

Hmmm...chest high??? That would make the bottom of the infeed chute four plus feet off the ground. I've never seen one that high. All of the chippers that I've seen are closer to waist height on a six foot tall person.

Standing on the side is the best place to be.

Maybe the were standing on a low spot and chipper was pointed down hill. Maybe??

Lorra said:
When you say "whisper" I assume you mean a quiet engine in the chipper.

Sorry, whisper is a modle brand that became synonomous with the style
altec_chipper.jpg

Vermeer made a larger one like this.

Sometimes I can't afford pulling up two feet. The streets are tight here. In that case I will drop the chipper on a pair of wheel-chocks and level it out with the jack.

Becareful i once had one flip backwards runnin WOT almost cut my hand off between the table and feed.Shot chips sky high i can laugh about it now but was very scary when it happened,i never chip unhooked any more.

It was a 12 inch drum chipper and we had lil logs loaded on the table when they were gone to dump the truck.

If need be I can measure the height of my Asplundh Whisper. It is an older model and not as clean as the one posted by John.

Bill

This thread reminds me of our area near Medford and Jacksonville, Oregon.

There are some safe climbers and tree services here. Some of the professionals care.

But I've never driven by more work sites where tree workers are stuffing a chipper without hearing or eye protection, or working in and under trees (with a climber overhead) without hard hats.

And this is in plain sight. A third of this stuff has been right to the side of the main streets.

Lorra said:

I've always read you should stand to the side, and when things need to be shoved in, untangled, etc., to use a stick.

where does one read this, if one isn't in the biz???

Back