Unscientific 361vs.441vs.660

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
so where is the big white oak in that pic??? just messing with u, looks like a yard tree???

Yeah....they do excavation and it was nearly dead. People were gonna build a house there. Had no interest in the wood!

I use to think the same thing ang I found out a while ago that the 066/660 is made for big wood and can pull a 36" bar no problem. The 044/440/441 what ever your running. Personal I like a 20" bar or 24" bar on them I run 2-440 mag with 20" and 2-044 with 24" bars and love the way they go through any kind of wood like warm butter. This is just what I like.:laugh:

I agree that a 20 on the 441 class saw rules. They just blaze through the wood like that. I'm luck enough to have a 660 as my big saw, so the 20 stays on the 441.

I generally keep a 28 on the 660, but have a 36 for it too.

In 18-19" hickory or oak the 361 just doesn't have the jam to keep up with a good 70cc saw.

Now that I'm thinking about oak and hickory, it brings up a question that I have. What do you think is easer to cut, oak or hickory? I personally find it harder to cut hickory.

We should try it next time in some 12-14" wood. Should be closer.

I agree that hickory rounds are harder to cut. Except he had a large(40+") white oak crotch that was tough as nails.

Chain wasn't going to make up that big of a gap. They were pretty sharp.

Also, even though I've used a 361 quite a bit, I GREATLY prefer the 441 or 660 for almost any type of cutting.

No surprices there - the wood you cut was too large and tough for optimum performance from the 361.

In hardwood, the 361 is at its best with 15-18" bars - if I really need a 20" bar, I use my 372xpg.

In 18-19" hickory or oak the 361 just doesn't have the jam to keep up with a good 70cc saw.

Now that I'm thinking about oak and hickory, it brings up a question that I have. What do you think is easer to cut, oak or hickory? I personally find it harder to cut hickory.

Shagbark Hickory is mucho tough wood.

hickory is harder than most oaks (post oak is about the hardest i can think of), atleast some of the time, the terrain has alot to do with it. if u get into hickory in the bottoms that grows pretty fast it can be a lil softer, and in the hills where it grows slower it is harder. and will split in a heartbeat, pecan is one of the worst splitting trees i have ever had the privelage to cut

So what's with the negative rep Peacock?:cry: I never said hickory was made of granite, all i said was that it's harder to cut than oak.:popcorn:

Dude, sorry. I didn't mean to. It was an honest mistake. I make quite a few of them. It was meant to be a positive rep.:(

I zip through red ,white,and black oak all the time with a 360 Stihl. You must have some kind of muntant trees ?

4 Steps to Hardwood Loggin' Fun

1)big motor
2)shorter bar (24")
3)let the chain be sharp and the rakers low
4)keep the trees big and let'er rip!!

Dude, sorry. I didn't mean to. It was an honest mistake. I make quite a few of them. It was meant to be a positive rep.:(

I once did that to a good friend - DDM fixed it for me, so I could give him the pos one that he deserved instead - there were a few PMs involved.......

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back