Unusual Gear Drive Saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rms61moparman

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I picked this up yesterday from a friend cleaning out his shop.
I've never seen anything like it before and there is very little info about it.
It is an O&R 1hp.

It was covered in a dozen layers of garage crud but I think it will clean up pretty well.
I checked it last night and it had spark, so I shot a very small shot of mix in its mouth and it started on the second pull!!!
I fueled it up and after I found the choke, it started and ran like new!

rms61moparman

rms61moparman

rms61moparman

rms61moparman

It is powered by a model airplane engine.

Here is a shot of the um.....carb

rms61moparman

I just thought some of you might enjoy seeing the little thing.

Mike

That looks like one of thos saws that uses the 1hp ohlson&rice motors. This is the first one I've seen in sears colors. Kinda like the Orline mustang.

Last edited:
Very nice little saw.:clap:
I don't know why but ever since joining this site I have become very interested in older saws.:cheers:

[
I don't know why but ever since joining this site I have become very interested in older saws.:cheers:[/QUOTE]

Yeah, it's weird how that happens.

[
I don't know why but ever since joining this site I have become very interested in older saws.:cheers:

Yeah, it's weird how that happens.[/QUOTE]

Boy don't I know it! :hmm3grin2orange:

Mike that is a cool saw for sure, get it all figured out and you can help me get that Jim Savage version I have going sometime.

I need to find a gas cap for it. Where in the world would one find O&R parts?

That has to be a pretty rare Sears version but it seems I did see one sometime or other someplace. Might have been on Ebay a few years ago.

Nice find Mike. Have fun with it. Seeing saws like that makes it even harder not to want to buy and find the old ones. I am still trying to talk my Dolmar dealer out of some of the ones he has in the pile around his shop. His business has been there in the family since 1927, you can imagine some of the ones he has lying around. He even had the twin to Marks Ford saw made by Orline.
I might talk him out of one sooner or later.

That is a cool looking saw for sure!!
Do you know what it turns for rpm's?

Yeah, it's weird how that happens.

Boy don't I know it! :hmm3grin2orange:

Mike that is a cool saw for sure, get it all figured out and you can help me get that Jim Savage version I have going sometime.

I need to find a gas cap for it. Where in the world would one find O&R parts?

That has to be a pretty rare Sears version but it seems I did see one sometime or other someplace. Might have been on Ebay a few years ago.[/QUOTE]

I have the name of a man in Mo. who makes diaphrams for the carb. Anything else and you are in trouble. Tom

That is a cool looking saw for sure!!
Do you know what it turns for rpm's?

I'm not sure about the RPMs and I think there are some adjusters on the carb that I will experiment with if it ever stops raining long enough.

If I can get it figured out I will try to post some video of it running.

Mike

That is one strange saw you've got there Mike. Since I found this site I've seen lots of saws I've never heard of, but that thing is too cool.

One of those Sears versions just sold on Ebay a couple weeks ago. It was VERY clean, brought decent money too. I was going to buy it, but figured it would just sit unused next to my 139 and Savage, so I let it go. Neat saws for sure, they definitely have a model airplane sound to them as well.
The recoil is very nice on that version of Orline, versus the Mustang they made. Easy enough to keep tension on, the cover can rotate(with the screws out) and tighten up the rewind. Neato!

Latest posts

Back