unusual weather

• Thread starter Deleted member 83629
  • Start date
Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
D

Deleted member 83629

The past two years have been bitter and just awful in the fall and winter but this year has been very mild almost spring like, Grass is still growing in spots hard to be leave last year at this time i was hibernating in the house when i wasn't working.
Does the el nino have something to do with this?
Here is my weather in my area.
NewExtended.JPG

well it is good to hear im not the only one dealing with wacky weather even though i do like it. my old man said it will get cold soon enough january isn't here yet.

It isn't el ninoing here, yet. We've had a cold snap for a week which is not unusual and now it will warm up and rain, which is also not unusual. I think I read that the El Nino is supposed to kick in a bit later. That means it will be dry here. So, we hope to get a big snowpack built up to build back the glaciers and fill up the reservoirs. The mountains are expecting a good dump of snow this week. That's good.

Pretty similar weather outputs for the week. It's getting a little scary to think whats gonna hit us in a month or so. Seems like winter hasn't even remotely started yet.

Well... after last winter's bitter cold the warmer fall weather is a blessing. We haven't yet run the stove overnight. House gets too hot and we let the fire go out.

We've got a couple of days of cool(ish) weather to suffer before it warms back up... looks like 10°-15° above the normal (or average) for the next 10-days or so.

weather.jpg

Yeah... this is all about what looks to become the strongest El Niño on record.
Here it is, December 1st, and we have zero frozen ground... heck some of the grass is still bright green. I ain't lit a fire in the shop yet, the overhead doors are open when I'm out there. The last couple days of rain has made my driveway is a swamp, the woodlot a muddy mess, and the yard so soft you dare not drive on it. The National Weather Service Climate Prediction Center has even upped the chances will stay well above normal (or average) through February. This could actually be one of those years when we don't see sub-zero temps... or if we do it will only be an occasional morning low slightly below.

Heck, I didn't even put any firewood in the box this morning, it was near 40° outside when I rolled out.
I may have actually put too much firewood in the basement this year.

Our coldest months are January through March. As much rain as we have had this yr. I have a feeling its gonna be a snowy winter here.

Above average by 10-13 degree's with an occasional back to normal temps or below snap. It's not as bad as it was 4 years ago though when we were getting 60* temps in late November
& mid 50's in december. Following that year the summer of 2012 was very hot(triple digit heat indexes for days on end). But the 2012-13 winter was one of the coldest on record.
The coldest temp I remember was a -45* wind chill. The 2013-2014 winter was average temps & slightly before average snowfall.

If my memory is correct (which it probably isn't), last year it was quite warm through December...
I don't know about New Jersey, but I fired-up about as early as I can remember last year... October and November were cold (for October and November), December was about average, and then January brought in the "polar vortexes" one-after-another. Last heating season was a cold one, and the one before was cold and long... I friggin' deserve a mild winter this year :crazy2:
Compared to last year at this time, I've burned maybe a third as much wood... maybe a quarter...

I friggin' deserve a mild winter this year :crazy2:

I have no doubt that your winter--and everyone else's--will be very mild. There probably won't even be a need to burn wood for heat. Temps are just going up and up and up. It's really quite a problem. In fact, a bunch of world leaders are gathered in Paris right now to figure out how to solve it. I'm just glad that all those brilliant minds will save us from this impending doom.

Latest posts

Back