Update on a previously butchered willow

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nanava

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Klawright's post about another butchered willow tree brought back memories of my willow tree horror last summer. I've learned a lot since then!

This was my willow last year: http://www.arboristsite.com/showthread.php?t=33429

Attached is a picture of it this summer.

Since I posted here last summer, I thought I would give an update on what has happened since then. It has filled in quite a bit, though it just doesn't look the same. An arborist came out yesterday to take a look at the willow and make recommendations for trying to restore the crown. He didn't think it was worth saving. :-( It was too badly butchered, and asked if it had already had a lot of dead branches before it was pruned (yes -- that was our reason for wanting it pruned). He said willows are short lived and it was already in decline last summer.

So, he agreed with me that it would be smart to plant a new tree now to take over when the willow is gone for good. Last year I would have been devastated to hear that. This year, having learned about so many other wonderful trees, I'm actually kind of excited to put something new in there. I have room for a Ginkgo now!!!

Didn't entirely trust this guy though -- I mentioned Chinese Elm as a possibility in my front yard and he said Chinese and American Elm have been decimated by Dutch Elm Disease. Nothing I've heard or read has said this has affected Chinese Elm. Hmmm.

Thanks everyone. I'll keep lurking, because I enjoy everything I'm learning here. Actually thinking of taking up bonsai, lol.

Back