Upgrade from 041AV - MS461/MS462?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I really considered the 461 - closest dealer actually has one, but after alot of research and many many Youtube videos I have my heart set on the 462.
I was planning on getting it with 25" Stihl ES Light bar and getting a TsuMura 28" for later. I will see what my options are when I get there.
Ran 20" ES bars with 33RSC72 on my 041 so plenty of those. Trying to decide if I want to go .050 or .063 on all the new stuff.

I never understood why if your going to spend $1000 or more on a saw a dealer wouldn't just throw in whatever size bar you wanted, or none at all if you wanted a powerhead only. I picked up a 461 back in October (was inches away from getting a 462) and had a 20"/24"/28" bar hanging on my garage wall but they would not sell me PHO! I didn't even get a hat!
On phone they told me same price for 20 or 25" bar. Hope that holds true. They may charge me a little more for the ES Light though.

I never understood why if your going to spend $1000 or more on a saw a dealer wouldn't just throw in whatever size bar you wanted, or none at all if you wanted a powerhead only. I picked up a 461 back in October (was inches away from getting a 462) and had a 20"/24"/28" bar hanging on my garage wall but they would not sell me PHO! I didn't even get a hat!
Stihl dealers are scum. You were nice enough to go into his store. He should have charged you for a hat then just give you the saw.

The 461 is a proven saw, and been around a good while. Save money, buy an extra chain or two, and don't quibble over a few ounces.
Oops too late
In all honesty I would have been happy with either but 461 was actually a few dollars more than I paid for this 462.

The 461 is a proven saw, and been around a good while. Save money, buy an extra chain or two, and don't quibble over a few ounces.
Ounces matter.... They must! Otherwise the past decade of debate on here was a waste of time. Lol.
The 462 is definitely proven. If a year and a half of solid production and very satisfied loggers isn't proof enough, than what is? I know of a bunch of 562s that have burned up top ends or smoked bearings in much less time, but that's still considered an awesome saw. Which it is.
The 461 isn't nearly as proven as the 371xp and I'll gladly grab aan old crusty 371 instead of a 461. But, I'll definitely grab the lighter 462 over a 371 any day.
I'm a huge 461 fan, but it just feels and runs heavy. Almost bloated. Granted the 461 feels stronger. But real world use is completely different than cutting cookies.
With the the insane throttle response and faster chain speed of the 462 it is definitely a noticeable difference.
I know on paper and with logic the 461 has more stroke and therefore more torque. But the board feet production numbers tell a different tale. Similar power, lighter weight, and much better acceleration is just faster at the end of the day.
It's reminiscent of the 044/046 debate.
To each their own.
With a bone stock saw I'll take a quicker throttle, faster chain, better filtration, and less weight over a fraction of a second per cut. Every time..hands down.
Sure when ported the difference is widened, but with the addition of the cost for a quality port job, why not go 500i or 661?

Ounces matter.... They must! Otherwise the past decade of debate on here was a waste of time. Lol.
The 462 is definitely proven. If a year and a half of solid production and very satisfied loggers isn't proof enough, than what is? I know of a bunch of 562s that have burned up top ends or smoked bearings in much less time, but that's still considered an awesome saw. Which it is.
The 461 isn't nearly as proven as the 371xp and I'll gladly grab aan old crusty 371 instead of a 461. But, I'll definitely grab the lighter 462 over a 371 any day.
I'm a huge 461 fan, but it just feels and runs heavy. Almost bloated. Granted the 461 feels stronger. But real world use is completely different than cutting cookies.
With the the insane throttle response and faster chain speed of the 462 it is definitely a noticeable difference.
I know on paper and with logic the 461 has more stroke and therefore more torque. But the board feet production numbers tell a different tale. Similar power, lighter weight, and much better acceleration is just faster at the end of the day.
It's reminiscent of the 044/046 debate.
To each their own.
With a bone stock saw I'll take a quicker throttle, faster chain, better filtration, and less weight over a fraction of a second per cut. Every time..hands down.
Sure when ported the difference is widened, but with the addition of the cost for a quality port job, why not go 500i or 661?

My bad. I had forgotten how a member here told how he hikes sometimes miles into the wilderness to clear trails, and that every ounce was a killer. Personally I am now cutting all my firewood with a small hatchet and I am looking to drilling out the handle to save even more weight.

Pretty happy with the 25" ES Light bar, and the better felling spikes. Running Stihl 36RM84 since this tree has been down a while.
In case anyone needs part numbers.
1122 650 7702 Roller chain catcher
1122 664 0501 Outer Spike
1122 664 0506 Inner Spike

20210220_120340.jpg20210220_120430.jpg

Latest posts

Back