upgrade from my 372XP

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
FWIW, I just swapped a 395 for a 390. The 390 does not have the torque of the 395 but in 20-25" stuff it is faster and a lot lighter and better handling saw than the 395. I don't usually cut in 36" timber, i think that is where the 395 would shine. I am very happy with the 390. I made a number of cuts in 24" hard dry maple this weekend and the 390 walked right through faster than I expected for a new saw, after the second tank of fuel it started to run better with more up top. First saw I actually could feel breaking in. CJ

FWIW, I just swapped a 395 for a 390. The 390 does not have the torque of the 395 but in 20-25" stuff it is faster and a lot lighter and better handling saw than the 395. I don't usually cut in 36" timber, i think that is where the 395 would shine. I am very happy with the 390. I made a number of cuts in 24" hard dry maple this weekend and the 390 walked right through faster than I expected for a new saw, after the second tank of fuel it started to run better with more up top. First saw I actually could feel breaking in. CJ

Thats great man! I'd love to see Eric get a hold of that baby. Man, would that be a monster or what!! Congrats!

I have to ask, just how many trees per week are you dropping that require you to "upgrade" to such a saw? Is it really justified, or just CAD? I know it would be in my case, regardless of how many larger trees I needed to cut. Just asking.

SHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!! If you keep up that kind of talk this place will be boarded up in a matter of weeks. It will look like one of those tractor and chainsaw repairing sites

SHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!! If you keep up that kind of talk this place will be boarded up in a matter of weeks. It will look like one of those tractor and chainsaw repairing sites

Lol! Thats right. I have CAD. Gonna get another new saw before long too. I thought I was in the right place for talkin and kiddin around bout buyin saws.....lol!

660 or 390. If your a husky man, then the 390. I have a 395 and it has plenty of power, but if you plan on using it a lot the outboard clutch and inside chain tensioner is a real negative in my opinion. Not counting the extra weight. I don't use mine much so the clutch and chain tensioner and the extra pounds don't really bother me, but theres no way in hell I'd drag it around all day.

....and don't get rid of the 372.

660 or 390. If your a husky man, then the 390. I have a 395 and it has plenty of power, but if you plan on using it a lot the outboard clutch and inside chain tensioner is a real negative in my opinion. Not counting the extra weight. I don't use mine much so the clutch and chain tensioner and the extra pounds don't really bother me, but theres no way in hell I'd drag it around all day.

....and don't get rid of the 372.

Thats some good points. But man oh man are those big 395's real hawgs or what?! Smooth as silk too.

well, just to get through this job tomorrow i picked up a 36" bar and chain for my 372XP

i hope she will handle it! the shop has to order in 32" bars or else i would have went with that...

I run a couple of ported Husky 390's and to me they are a far better saw than the 660's as far as balance goes. I know they are not exactly in the same class as the 660 so it's not apples for apples but I sold my modded 660's and kept the Huskys.
Depending on how much you cut you may not notice the weight increase on the 390XP's over the 372XP's as they are superbly balanced (I can't notice much difference). I however DID notice the extra weight on the 660's, not overall mass but the fact that to me they balanced extremely poorly. In fact they were nose heavy with 32" bars whereas the 390's are not.

I am not questioning the 660's toughness, reliability, and popularity but I've said it before here - how many people in a felling situation have spent time on both 660's AND the 390XP's? If simply dropping into logs then the 660 has the edge in my opinion but not by much.
Each to their own but I can't believe that if people had used both saws they would pick the 660 for balance and feel alone.
Dealer support and the availability of cheap parts is another matter. There are very few aftermarket parts for a 390XP unlike the Stihls.

You already have bars etc to suit Huskys so that's something to consider too. A 390XP will do everything a 372XP will plus more.

I'm ducking for cover as we speak :D but I can't help but think the Stihl 066/660's popularity is a 50/50 split between the "my Pappy ran a Stihl as did my Pappy's Pappy" factor and because it's just a tough old saw. Many people that jump on the 660 bandwagon have never spent much time on any other saw.

288, 390 damn good saws. I am having a 390 ported here shortly , its in the mail still, it will pull a 36-42" bar, its lighter than a 395 and just alot less bulky feeling. It has a faster chain speed spec for spec with the 395. the 395 , for me, left me with buyer remorse and I sold it not long after getting it. That outboard clutch and tensioner are major pitfalls. Especially if you pinch a bar in a tree and try to remove the powerhead.
just my opinion.

I like my 390 better than my 395 I traded for. The 390 gives me about a hour and a half longer before I have had enough. It balances better and feels less bulky than the 395. If I was just bucking up 24"+ stuff all day the 395 MAY have the nod. I can actually limb with the 390 and feel comfortable with it. I am happy with the 390, it has earned a place in my line up. CJ

The 390 is a great saw. It's very well balanced and is mean on bigger wood. I finally got a chance to run one quite a bit a few months ago. I have always ran a 066 and 660. I fell trees with a 066 for over four years. I also spent about two months on a 394xp felling trees. It had plenty of grunt and was smooth in the cut also. I just did'nt like the weight and balance of it. I swapped my 066 out with my buddies 394 for those two months. Took me two weeks to get tired of it and two months to get my 066 back. :laugh: They are just too heavy and bulky. I'm not a fan of the outboard either.
I'll take a 660 in the woods with me if I'm felling big trees. If there was never a 660 made, it would be the 390xp. They can keep the 394/395. A 394 does have a bit more grunt than a 660, but it's splitting hairs. The old 066's ran right with them. The 660 is a comfy saw to run for me. I'll take it for that reason alone.

I'm sure all saws have problems sometime or another, but the 066 I had is 17 years old now and still running on the original engine. It went through four years of felling and tons of firewood cutting. My boss owns it now and it still runs right with my 660.

guys, i ran the 36" bar on my 372XP and ill tell ya what, I AM IMPRESSED !!!!!

i was so worried she would be bogged down, NOT AT ALL! both of the previously mentioned 660's ive run with 36" bars couldnt hold a stick to the 372 today.

heres a few pics!

elm over house ( not my bucket )

work5-17-11003-1.jpg

my truck next to boxelder

work5-17-11001.jpg

Husqvarna 372XP chainsaw with 36 inch bar and chain, standing next to Boxelder tree stump

work5-17-11002.jpg

here is the stump from the willow tree we removed. it was 60" across, and 5 feet long still when i lifted her into the truck

work5-17-11004.jpg

hauled 5 or 6 loads of logs and brush to the dump and still have one load to pick up there in the morning, need to grind out all of those stumps.

Latest posts

Back